PDA

View Full Version : a tiny bump map problem

thondal
05-11-2006, 10:08 PM
hi, me again :D :P, almost done with my dragon now, but i'm trying out bump mapping and was trying to bump map the whole dragon just to see if i could get it right and i did :D, but the only thing is the whole dragon did not get the bump map...i've uploaded a picture of it, and was wondering if anyone could suggest what i might have done wrong? please?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/thondal/4.jpg

edited 10 minutes after:
played around a bit more and found something that might have something to do with it... i turned on the uv face view and found it looking like this:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/thondal/uv.jpg
something tells me that has something to do with it... but i don't know what has happened. ok, off to bed anyways, hope for some answer or a maybe a message from troutmask telling me to read something in the manual (which i will do if he does ;)) :P :D

-thondal-

ebrain
05-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Is the UV button enabled in the material pannel ?

If not, I dunno where's the problem :shrug:.
Bye.

Gmanx
05-12-2006, 08:08 AM
He's looking really cool, are you sure the UV map includes all polies? Are the normals all pointing out?

thondal
05-12-2006, 08:14 AM
i think the uv button is turned on...

what is the button to make them all point outwards? :P forgot it ;) ctrl-n is it not?

i'll post an update later when i get home if it works
-thondal-

ebrain
05-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Right, CTRL + N will 'recalculate normals outside' but I think it's not really important in this case, cause as far as I know 'double-sided' is set by default :).

Bye.

thondal
05-12-2006, 09:44 AM
what does that actually mean? does it mean that the bump map is on the inside instead then?

-thondal-

RedSquirrel
05-12-2006, 09:52 AM
In the UV face select mode, try pressing "a" so that all the faces turn pink and see if that helps. :)

thondal
05-12-2006, 10:03 AM
i did that but some was pink and other were white... but i'll try it when i come home later...

-thondal-

cara-rj
05-12-2006, 12:54 PM
For your dragon I would recommend the LSCM projection.
BgDM wrote a really nice tutorial (http://bgdm.katorlegaz.com/lscm_tute/lscm_tute.htm) on mapping a human head with LSCM. The same principle can be used on your dragon.

Just mark the seams, select some areas and LSCM (if you are using some CVS version, UV Mapping got easier).

thondal
05-13-2006, 07:47 AM
hi, thnx, i have been trying out uv mapping, but i'm intending to add some bump maps here and there after the uv mapping ;)

but anyhow, the normaling of points ctrl-n did not work... well it did work, but didn't have any effect on the bumpmapping, and when i go in to the uv face select, there are still some faces which are white, and some purple/pink... any help?

-thondal-

DeeVad
05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Your result don't looks as a "nor" effect but looks more a "disp" effect.
Check if the "disp" button is not checked on the 'map to' windows of the material editor.
Check too if the "nor" value isn't too hight.
Can be this as it can be something else... I hope it will help you
-David

CGTalk Moderation
05-13-2006, 11:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.