PDA

View Full Version : Crit my case fan flow please

nitindesign
05-11-2006, 09:34 PM
I have 90% of the parts now and "apparently" the Opteron 285 will arrive on 15th of this month.

So I did a quick layout to have everything clear in my head before I start building it. Anything I could improve?

- Top 2x120mm are exhaust as hot air rises up.

- The front 120mm will be intake and will feed air to the 1st Zalman heatsink plus some will go straight to shake up the hot air in the video card area.

- The rear 2x92mm will remain intake and feed air to the 2nd Zalman heatsink.

- The zalman 9500s will be pointing downwards. Meaning they will throw hot exhaust air upwards towards the top two 120mm exhaust fans.

- 1x120 fan placed towards the back of the PSU to suck out any PSU hot air that might try to rise up through the cable opening in the partition (The HD and PSU area of the case is partitioned off from rest of the case).
Btw the lower section of the case on both sides is mainly mesh.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a68/owl_man/fan.jpg

alanmac
05-11-2006, 10:18 PM
Shouldn't the two 92 fans at the rear be sucking hot air out not pushing air in?

Maybe its my lack of knowledge but I've never seen a computer which sucks air in the back only out.

Alan

SweetDreamz
05-11-2006, 10:31 PM
Is that the Silverstone TJ07? Looks nice, can't afford it though. A used Lian Li v2000 is my thing. :)

Is that powersupply gonna fit in there? I remember that PSU is pretty long.

Some people have one fan blowing one way and the other fan blowing the other way in the HD area.

nitindesign
05-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Shouldn't the two 92 fans at the rear be sucking hot air out not pushing air in?

Maybe its my lack of knowledge but I've never seen a computer which sucks air in the back only out.

Alan

Normally yes to create a tunnel effect from front to back but those cases don't have two top exhaust fans on top. My case manufacturer has the rear 92mm fans set as intake. If I turned the rear 92mm fans to exhaust it would be kind of useless as there won't be a tunnel effect...the top powerful 120mm fans would break the tunnel effect. Like someone said to me it would be equivalent of trying to suck up liquid using a straw with a big hole in the middle.
I am no expert either hence this thread ;-P

nitindesign
05-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Is that the Silverstone TJ07? Looks nice, can't afford it though. A used Lian Li v2000 is my thing. :)

Is that powersupply gonna fit in there? I remember that PSU is pretty long.

Some people have one fan blowing one way and the other fan blowing the other way in the HD area.

Yes that is the TJ07. The PSU fitted well no problems (comfortable squeeze). I had checked with SilverstoneTek and PCP&C before I ordered it. Still it was the first thing I checked when I got it :-)
I also have one HD cage set up in opposite direction like you suggested. Just did not want to do extra Photoshop work ;-P

tecton3d
05-12-2006, 11:34 AM
']Normally yes to create a tunnel effect from front to back but those cases don't have two top exhaust fans. Even my case manufacturer has the rear 92mm fans set as intake. If I turned the rear 92mm fans to exhaust it would be kind of useless as there won't be a tunnel effect...the top powerful 120mm fans would break the tunnel effect. Like someone said to me it would be equivalent of trying to suck up liquid using a straw with a big hole in the middle.
I am no expert either hence this thread ;-P

definitely leave the 92mm's in the back blowing INTO the case! If you reversed them, the only intake your case would have in the mobo compartment would be the single 120mm which could not keep up with 2 - 92's and 2- 120's sucking air out of the case... resulting in wayy to much negative pressure inside and bad flow.

When you go to spec your fans, think about the fan placement relative to your ears... i.e. put the loudest fans (92mm's in your case) in the back and quieter ones everywhere else. With the Silverstone TJ07's ability to have so many 120's, you can have an insanely quiet, (if that's important) high - flow case.

Make sure you filter every intake. You won't want dust on your shiny, new 285's or Quadro!

CHEERS!

alanmac
05-12-2006, 11:52 AM
If you reversed them, the only intake your case would have in the mobo compartment would be the single 120mm

What about the two 120mm fans blowing in onto the HDD cages at the bottom of the case ? Whilst if I remember correctly there is a plate above these cages, is'n't it open in places with a large cutout directly below the card slot area ?

Seems a bit uneven to me.

Have to say in my opinion its the best case outside Apples G5 I've seen, expensive but nice.

Subtle and stylish looking, if money was no object it would be my choice.
I'd guess if Apples was made by somebody to the same finish/materials standard as Apples supplier makes it, it would no doubt come up at about the same price, so whilst yours is expensive I can see why.

Alan

tecton3d
05-12-2006, 12:09 PM
']- 1x120 fan placed towards the back of the PSU to suck out any PSU hot air that might try to rise up through the cable opening in the partition (The HD and PSU area of the case is partitioned off from rest of the case).

... I've never seen the case in person, so that's what I was going from.

definitely - the TJ707 and few Lian-Li pieces are the next best thing to a G5 case!

MassTA
05-12-2006, 01:31 PM
What do you need that 120mm lower Exhaust fan for? If i remember correctly those two 120mm
cool HDDs and the PSU has its own exhaust fan, so this fan basicaly does nothing?

nitindesign
05-12-2006, 01:57 PM
What do you need that 120mm lower Exhaust fan for? If i remember correctly those two 120mm cool HDDs and the PSU has its own exhaust fan, so this fan basicaly does nothing?

Spoke to couple of people with the same TJ07 setup and they said that the fan next to the back of PSU prevents any hot air from the the PSU (back mesh of the PSU) escaping into the graphic card region. According to them there was a noticable temp difference as a direct result of placing that fan. One of them even put two fans there.
I am not sure how accurate their info is but I am not loosing anything by placing it there.

lots
05-12-2006, 01:59 PM
If the silverstone is anything like the LianLi v2000, then even though there is a gap in the plating between compartments, it is not very effective in routing air up into the case. Most of the air will go straight through the sides (in the case of the silver stone).

Also the silverstone was designed to have the intake fans in the rear, and the exhaust fans pulling air up through the system. It is a unique design, and is probably fairly effective at cooling the CPU area in the main compartment.

The only down side I can see really, is the part of the board below the heatsink area. Here you only have some of the air from the 120 in the front blowing over the passivly cooled chipsets and video card area, and this is where a hot spot is likely to develop.

What video card are you using? In my case, I have a 7800GT. It spits air out of the card towards the front of the case (its a single slot design). This means that if this card were in your system it would be spitting hot air towards your intake fan at the front, which then pushes the air back at the video card. If your video card blows its hot air out towards the back of the case, I dont think this will be a problem.

I'm just trying to point out you have two currents of air in the main compartment giong opposite directions. In the boundry area between the two currents it may not be very effective for cooling (lots of dead air). But I guess until you run it we wont see :)

Also i'd be a bit concerned about puting the HSFs in specific directions. They are using heat pipes and will be most effective in specific orientations. For example, the heatpipe solution on the Asus A8N SLI platinum will not work correctly if the motherboard is flipped upside down (CPU mounted below the video cards). Granted that is a long pipe going from chipset to heatsink, its just something to check.

nitindesign
05-12-2006, 02:44 PM
If the silverstone is anything like the LianLi v2000, then even though there is a gap in the plating between compartments, it is not very effective in routing air up into the case. Most of the air will go straight through the sides (in the case of the silver stone).

Exactly. I think the same as there is mesh on both sides of the HD cage. The air that gets sucked in will cool the HD and get spit out. That air won't have any significant effect on the rest of the case even though above one of the cage there are 2cm slots for cables.

There is another much larger slot but that is above the back half of the PSU area and not above the HD cage area. This larger slot gets filled by cables pretty quickly but it "could" still let hot air from the back of the PSU escape upwards.

Also the silverstone was designed to have the intake fans in the rear, and the exhaust fans pulling air up through the system. It is a unique design, and is probably fairly effective at cooling the CPU area in the main compartment.

The only down side I can see really, is the part of the board below the heatsink area. Here you only have some of the air from the 120 in the front blowing over the passivly cooled chipsets and video card area, and this is where a hot spot is likely to develop.

What video card are you using? In my case, I have a 7800GT. It spits air out of the card towards the front of the case (its a single slot design). This means that if this card were in your system it would be spitting hot air towards your intake fan at the front, which then pushes the air back at the video card. If your video card blows its hot air out towards the back of the case, I dont think this will be a problem.

I'm just trying to point out you have two currents of air in the main compartment giong opposite directions. In the boundry area between the two currents it may not be very effective for cooling (lots of dead air).

I will be using the EVGA 7900GTX superclocked card (runs hot) Seems like it has different layout to the 7800 GT. What do you think Lots? It has a big heatsink on it as well. Exact photo of my card-

http://www.guru3d.com/admin/imageview.php?image=6917

Also i'd be a bit concerned about puting the HSFs in specific directions. They are using heat pipes and will be most effective in specific orientations. For example, the heatpipe solution on the Asus A8N SLI platinum will not work correctly if the motherboard is flipped upside down (CPU mounted below the video cards). Granted that is a long pipe going from chipset to heatsink, its just something to check.

The Heatsink is capable of all four directions so I doubt it will have any negative effect. I am reading the booklet that came with it and it does not mention any orientations to avoid. Still I will double check. On the other hand if I install it side ways then it will really mess up the airflow...don't you think? Plus one heatsink will have to eat the hot exhaust of the other. Scratching my head :)

lots
05-12-2006, 03:12 PM
For your vid card I guess you'll have to see which way the wind blows :) I dont expect it will be too bad actually. Afterall I have the same thing happening in my system, altering the placement of the front fan (I mounted a fan in the 5.25" drive bays) helped with the deadzone I had in that area, and the graphcis card's exhaust doesn't really cause much problems.

nitindesign
05-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Ok got PMs from people on other hardware forums who are using the Zalman 9500 in the same orientation. It works fine ;-P

These are the fans I am going with btw-

YS-Tech FD 121225LB (2F3) 120mm
1800 rpm
74 CFM

and

YS-Tech NFD 129225B (2A3) - 92mm
2500 rpm
49CFM

Got an e-mail from my German supplier that he can't get the Opteron 285 for a while :eek: I can't believe that Opterons get made in Germany but they are in such short supply! I was supposed to get them on 10th then 15th and now they don't even have a date :twisted: He said I can get my money back or wait!

nitindesign
05-12-2006, 09:28 PM
I could buy it from Monarch (http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=M&Product_Code=120293&Category_Code=amddc) and get a friend to ship them to me in Europe. Comes out cheaper than buying from Germany anyway.
The Monarch site says "3 year AMD direct replacment". So if the CPU turns out lemon does it mean I can get it replacd from AMD directly irrespective of which country I bought it from?

Monarch says in Stock - Usually ships in 2-3 business days.

lollygag
05-12-2006, 09:48 PM
Hmmm.. i wonder about that.. you may have to send it back to your friend to get a replacment. i bought mine from Monarch.. there was a green extruded foam basket
in the box that the chip & sink sits in.. they were kinda falling apart apparently from
rough shipping or maybe the foam just disintegrated.. anys both worked fine.

I think if you get a good chips (not DOA) theyll keep working fine for theyre lives
if you dont OC and stuff and you wont need to have them replaced.

I bet your stoked to bout have it up and runnin yea ? i want you to get it going to
so you as a Maya user can do that Mental Ray Benchmark and tell me what you get.
i dont seem to get the scores to the other Dual 285's do and i wonder if its just a
bios memory setting.. or if maybe my SLi uses too many resources

nitindesign
05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
Hmmm.. i wonder about that.. you may have to send it back to your friend to get a replacment. i bought mine from Monarch.. there was a green extruded foam basket
in the box that the chip & sink sits in.. they were kinda falling apart apparently from
rough shipping or maybe the foam just disintegrated.. anys both worked fine.

Yeah sounds like it could turn out fine but could also end up being a recipe for disaster. I called the dealer in Germany today and he said that last delivery took one month to arrive :-(

I bet your stoked to bout have it up and runnin yea ? i want you to get it going to
so you as a Maya user can do that Mental Ray Benchmark and tell me what you get.
i dont seem to get the scores to the other Dual 285's do and i wonder if its just a
bios memory setting.. or if maybe my SLi uses too many resources

Yeah can't wait to have it all ready. I have been very patient :-P
How many less points are you getting compared to other 285 users? Small numer differences are ok. My temporary opteron 280 setup was showing few points less as well.

tecton3d
05-20-2006, 08:39 PM
might make controlling those 9 fans:

http://www.frozencpu.com/bus-72.html

has anyone ever used one of these?

CGTalk Moderation
05-20-2006, 08:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.