PDA

View Full Version : Thinking About The Next Matte Painitng Challenge

JJASSO
05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
hey guys this forum need a challenge , we need something so we can all keep learning from each other, so I was thinking about how or what kind of challenge do we need to keep this forum interesting, share your thoughts and ideas for a challenge .
I'll be heading your projects in order to learn , and to improve our artwork

here are some ideas for a challenge.

an antique civilization ( that could be your own antique civilizations )
a futuristic landscape or cityscape
something historical, world wars ruins, temples, kigndoms, etc
set extension from a photograph
using 3D, 2D, photo composition, will be aloud

so start thinking guys and let's work on something

Kutkin
05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
I think it's great idea.
I'm really up for this.
I'd like to have the contest about mystery places for example.

Skjoldbroder
05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
count me in as well, sounds like good fun. I wrapped up the matte for that pluginz competition, so now I even have some time ^_^

HellBoy
05-12-2006, 12:33 AM
the futurestic idea sounds cool

georgenz
05-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Or perhaps something underground or of the underworld, the decay of an existing image. Just some thoughts.

JJASSO
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
this is getting interesting, it could be something futuristic underground, hehe lots of ideas keep sharing people we'll start this next week so we need ideas to decide this weekend

georgenz
05-13-2006, 12:00 AM
Oh, nice painting by the way Jaime. One of my favourites in the competition. Gotta hate peer-voting. Good luck with it.

bearfoot
05-13-2006, 09:11 AM
cool idea jamie

i like the format of the pluginz challenge where everyone starts with the same photo

i think its interesting to see how peoples imagination can differ and it makes a great
balance to learn techniques

RiKToR
05-18-2006, 06:07 AM
How about and underwater environment, it would envolve more study about light falloff, atomospheric perspective, etc. Maybe a city (future or ruined) under water?

JJASSO
05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
riktor I love the idea, I agree with the thing that it is not easy at all and will need a little bit more experience with light and materials, with this idea we won't need a source plate photo, but we have to think about a same idea so we can all start and finish with a equal concept, I like the idea of ruins, could be how we imagine the lost city of atlantis in ruins,
what do you guys think? it's not a very common matte painting , and will help us a lot with learning light, mood, enviroment, materials , anything.
let's discuss it before the final decision.

Gentle
05-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Underwater, that's a really cool Idea, yes, I like that :)
Also the we-all-start-from-the-same sounds interesting...

Maybe we can combinate those both; e.g. we take a photo of a city and set it underwater.

Some additional brainstorming:

- Cities/Civilization at unusual places
- Lagune
- Cliff of death
- surrealism, maybe based on a desert photo
- fantasy tower on a needle-like rock
- forest-clan in 100-m-high forest with huge aerial roots
- Land of light and shadow
- Dancing zombies, based on a high-res party photo :D

georgenz
05-19-2006, 01:22 AM
I really like the idea of taking a photo of a city and then setting it underwater.

Another suggestion would be a sunken shipwreck from any place in time.

RiKToR
05-21-2006, 06:35 AM
Well I think and coral covered Atlantis would be a great place to start. lets get it going I need to expand my portfolio.

JJASSO
05-30-2006, 09:37 PM
hey guys is good to see we all agree with this great idea ,and I'm sure it will get a lot of exposure in many ways,
let our minds fly on how we imagine atlantis, our own personal view of it, maybe already in ruins or maybe how it was in that that time
I will make it official in a new thread where there will be the rules, deadlines etc.
start spreading the news and we will start very soon
good luck

p.d. hehe riktor my mistake I did not planned to edit your post I was posting this news there inestead of a new thread . but nothing happened :thumbsup:

Gentle
05-30-2006, 10:12 PM
I watched the thread one hour ago and thought "Why does nobody post any more?" and now... it's Telepathy :D

james, I'm excited which of the ideas you'll use for the new thread. Lookin forward to compete :)

JJASSO
05-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Good News people !!! I have spoken with leornard teo and there will be prizes in this contests, ballistic publishing will support it, thanks leo and ballistic, also something that no other contest has a had before. real pro matte painters judging , I will say later who those artist are , stay tuned

p.s. on the same topic "atlantis"

Gentle
05-31-2006, 10:40 PM
Yeaaah... rocks!

A big Thanks for your endeavors :)

RiKToR
05-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Sweet, I will be looking foward to this. I hope we have an option of ruins or a fully thriving underwater city.

I also hope the prize is like the D'artiste matte book, I have been wanting that for a while.

RiKToR
06-02-2006, 12:35 PM
So are we going to start this soon, I pratically pissing myself in anticipation!

JJASSO
06-02-2006, 04:37 PM
it will take a few days or maybe a week more , this is not easy and I'm just waiting for one of the judges to confirm .
the contest will contain , the whole process, sketching, modeling or 2d painting if it's the case, till final imagewe're almost there be patient

RiKToR
06-02-2006, 06:13 PM
I know, I know. Patience is a virtue. But Impatience is a skill I have mastered.

Speculart
06-07-2006, 07:21 AM
I am with Riktor on the needing a change of pants thing. Would really like to get involved with this, great idea!

AnimZiggy
06-07-2006, 04:19 PM
hello,

have been lurking around this forum for a while and finally showing my face...oh well...short of..question will the contest be only for matte paint proffesionals?

ismini

JJASSO
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
hey there, I'm still working in the set up it's not easy and I'm still waiting for one judge answer, as soon as he responds I will start it.
anim_ziggy: no , this is not a proffesional contest, everyone is invited, from begginers to pro's and that's the good of it, you will learn from lots of artists around, making your skills grow.
the judges are really proffesionals in the field. I have 2 confirmed by now, let's wait just a few more days , then we'll begin

JJASSO
06-09-2006, 05:20 PM
the 3 judges are confirmed , as well as the prizes thanks to leonard teo and ballistic publishing, everything is set, we will begin shortly , this is going to be awesome !

RiKToR
06-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Swwwweeeeeeeetttt!

AnimZiggy
06-12-2006, 10:18 AM
cool stuff. tempting..

Artbot
06-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Someday I'm going to do one of these challenges. Maybe this one??? Sounds like fun.

buchvecny
06-13-2006, 03:38 PM
dont start yet pleaaaaaaaaaaase i have finals going on :(

JJASSO
06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
ok it's almost donde people, just waiting for the high level people of cgsociety to start

Speculart
06-14-2006, 01:44 PM
where is this going to be in challenges or the matte painting thread?

Velarion
06-18-2006, 11:59 PM
oh great!!! thanks for all the efforts,this will be a great contest.I hope it will start soon:beer:

AnimZiggy
06-19-2006, 11:47 AM
yay! My D'artiste Matte Painting book arrived just on time!

Velarion
06-20-2006, 02:51 PM
any progress???

DLangley
06-21-2006, 09:57 AM
I too am looking forward to this, any news on starting?

Artbot
06-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Hello-llo-lo-o-o-o.....? Echo-ho-o-o-o-.....

JJASSO
06-27-2006, 02:19 AM
ok guys please be patient I have it almost done, but i had somer troubles in the way , we should start in a few more days , it is going to be just a mini challenge inside this forum , but anyway we're having the best panel of judges and some cool prices

RiKToR
06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
I havent said anything in a while.... I'b being patient.....really.....God I need a cigarette!

Matellis
06-27-2006, 07:10 PM
This should be fun , im taking part for sure!

This will be just the thing to get focused on completing a matte painting.

And I think will get more people hooked on the matte painting section of the forum!

Keep rockin Jaime! Thanks for all the effort and help your giving everyone here.

Cheers

miguelslo
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
i am joining for sure ! :bounce:

Gentle
06-30-2006, 03:21 PM
Prices? Wow! :)

okay James, I'm waiting patiently. Since I hurt my left foot I am really patient :D

JJASSO
07-03-2006, 06:44 PM
ok guys good news!! , matte painting contest will start in 2 more days , july 5 th

this will be a mini challlenge ,unofficial challenge only supported by this matte painting forum, in other words

this is a mini-contest outside of the bounds of the real CG Challenges that are run.
but it wil still rock !! we still have the prizes and the PRO judges on this

so get ready to start soon and good luck to you all.
be aware of the new thread anouncing it !

miguelslo
07-03-2006, 08:12 PM
awesome, cant wait !! i have nothing to do ! High five ! :applause:

Velarion
07-04-2006, 11:43 PM
oh great!!!:bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2006, 11:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.