PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rigging (using a biped)

Neo_Crisis
05-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Hi, I'm new to 3d animation and I trying to add a biped to my character mesh. I having trouble aligning the biped with the character mesh and also having trouble adding apply physique.
I can't get the character pose able at all. I only have 5 days until project is due and my animation class has taught me nothing. :sad: Can someone show me how to add a biped to a character mesh? I also attach a file of the character, I'm using 3DS Max 8.Thanks.

Neo_Crisis
05-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Also is better to rig a character first and then do cloth? (Also I will need help with clothes...*sighs*)

safe05
05-11-2006, 06:35 PM
For posing the Biped character, make sure you are in "figure mode" when adjusting it. (little "guy" icon in the motion panel) Try to have the bones fill the character as best as possible by just scaling them and moving the feet/hands into place. Once you have this, apply a "Skin" modifier to your character and add the Biped bones to the modifier's list. (note: the "Skin" modifier should be below any MeshSmooth or TurboSmooth modifiers) Now test your skinning assignments by moving different Biped bones around. Let me know if you encounter any problems with the above. :)

Neo_Crisis
05-11-2006, 09:00 PM
I still having problems :cry: The character still not pose able.:sad: I attach an update file of the character mesh with the biped. Can someone check out the file to see what I did wrong(3DSMax).:sad: :cry: Please.

Mahlon
05-11-2006, 09:38 PM
Neo-C

There may be something wrong with the biped? Not sure, but I cannot get any "undo" function; also, the Bip01 center of mass is free floating; in other words the pelvis is not linked to it as far as I can tell. Have you tried creating a new biped and see if things work correctly. I created a new biped in your file and it works fine.

Where are you enrolled in Memphis?

Mahlon
FedEx Corp.
Memphis TN

Neo_Crisis
05-12-2006, 01:12 AM
*cough*itttech*cough* It sucks.....

Ok I still can get the damn thing pose able and I don't know the what the hell I'm doing wrong.:banghead: I need this thing riged for my project. I Attach another file character with biped I didn't do nothing else with the file. Can someone see if the biped is ok?:sad: *sighs*

safe05
05-12-2006, 01:36 AM
It'll work. If you want, try and make the bones for the limbs a little thicker. Otherwise, add a "Skin" modifier to your mesh and add the biped bones to the modifier's list. Hang in there. :)

Neo_Crisis
05-12-2006, 02:20 AM
OK now I got something!!!:thumbsup: But the some parts are stretching.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/gear3/CharacterMeshcopy.jpg I guess I have to scale the bones more? I'm going to redo this over.

safe05
05-12-2006, 02:24 AM
what you're seeing there is bad vertex assignment. More specifically, those vertices aren't assigned correctly to the forearm. So, what you have to do is go into "Edit Envelopes" mode of the Skin modifier and adjust the vertex assignments. First try just scalling the envelopes, if that doesn't work then you'll need to manually tell Skin which vertices go to which bone.

Mahlon
05-12-2006, 02:26 AM
If you haven't done them yet, the tutorials for Character Studio are very good and will explain a lot. I think they cover skinning as well. If you don't HAVE to use Physique, you might be better off just going with the Skin Modifier. CS is pretty complex and different (not to mention skinning), but once you get the hang of it, it's not so bad.

Mahlon

Neo_Crisis
05-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Got it!:buttrock: Pose able! Now on with the clothes:eek: , guess I post and another thread. Thanks guys, this forum is really helpful:)

CGTalk Moderation
05-12-2006, 04:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.