PDA

View Full Version : Lighting/Shading/Rendering

silvia
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to pick up all the projects I have done lately and put them into an ordered format (I would like to call it reel, but it would be an overstatement...). This piece focuses on shading networks, specifically using Mental Ray. I hope you like it. Your thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.silviapalara.com/portfolio/fire_small.mov

silvia
05-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Hello? A little help here? How can I improve it if I don't know what you guys think of it?

Sontaran
05-18-2006, 12:04 PM
Hi all,
I am trying to pick up all the projects I have done lately and put them into an ordered format (I would like to call it reel, but it would be an overstatement...). This piece focuses on shading networks, specifically using Mental Ray. I hope you like it. Your thoughts are appreciated.

http://www.silviapalara.com/portfolio/fire_small.mov

Hi Silvia,
Can you clarify your goals here? If you are trying to show that you hooked up some animated attributes in a MR render as a learning exercise, then it looks like you've done that well. (Its more than I can do in MR at the moment so well done) The caustics look nice.

My main critique would be that it looks a bit plain. My two cens worth is that it would be great to see those kinds of renders in more complicated scenes. ie: a bunch of marbles or ball bearings in an environment like a kids desk in their bedroom by the window etc. You would not have to model all that detail, but try to suggest it with the use of props, a table, pencils, sharpener etc... and a bunch of marbles or glass of water with the animated caustics or whatever.

Just a suggestion. Hope it helps.

silvia
05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
Daniel, thank you very much for your response!
The goal of the animation is to show some complex effects
that can be obtained by using MR shaders alone, no particles,
fluids, etc. In fact, initially I had started modelling the solar
system and when it came to the Sun, I wondered how to
obtain some kind of fire effect, which led me to investigate MR
volumetric effects, and on from there. I wanted to show it in a
basic setting, to keep the focus on the fire effect, but there are
many applications to this technique.
Also I was interested to see if anybody else had tried to achieve
similar effects using only shaders, and whether they had some
nice tips they want to share.
Thank you again for your comments!

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 07:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.