PDA

View Full Version : 'Animation Test Pilot' Short Film Completed

funkmasterbrad
05-10-2006, 08:19 PM
http://bradkinley.com/images/Thumbnail_Gallery_Grinder.jpg (http://www.bradkinley.com/clips/Full_FinalFilm_BradKinley.mov)

After 4 months hard work and some previous pre-production time, the short film project I've work on during Sheridan Digital Character Animation Program is complete. It's an incredibles/sky captain inspired 'documentary' of animation test pilot attempting to showcase his skills. Check it out, let me know what you think! I love hearing constructive criticism!

Brain-xy has offered to mirror the film, so it's back up and downloadable at the thumbnail above!

Many many thanks to gpepper for the Mirror! --- I took down gpepper's mirror, overloaded it!

I was ask to post some breakdowns, so here they are!

http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/002.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/003.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/004.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/005.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/006.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/007.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/008.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/009.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/010.jpg

kemenyi
05-10-2006, 08:31 PM
I like the concept, the animation is also real nice!

Ranimate
05-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Niiiice!
Nice render quality and look, everything looks really good and didnt feel like a student (4 months of work) film, after all, that includes modeling, rigging, lighting, animating and texturing... wow...
At first it kinda reminded me of "The incredibles" to be honest with you, his posing, acting and camera.
The bumps on the rocks look awesome (displacements?)

Awesome job! hehehe, again... (I keep on pestering sheridan people) say Hi to Mark Simon from me, will ya? best teacher ever!

:thumbsup:

Ranimate

harmonic01
05-10-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey. Great short. I enjoyed it allot. Really cool concept to show dialog acting and body mechanics too. :D

Just watch the arcs and spacing. Sometimes I felt things could ease in a bit better and arcs could have been nicer too. Mostly noticable in the 2nd stunt, Pit Escape. Also I felt when he was jumping from wall to wall it would be nice to have him raise his arm and reach for the wall he's leaping to half way through the jump. otherwise it looks a bit like he just sticks to the walls with his sides.

This is all very nitpicky stuff, though. The first impression of the animation is that it rocks. :buttrock:
Very entertaining. I love the rendering style, voice acting, I think is great too. 5 stars from me. :D

Saihtam
05-10-2006, 08:53 PM
HAHAHAHA really good, I love it!

funkmasterbrad
05-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Hey. Great short. I enjoyed it allot. Really cool concept to show dialog acting and body mechanics too. :D

Just watch the arcs and spacing. Sometimes I felt things could ease in a bit better and arcs could have been nicer too. Mostly noticable in the 2nd stunt, Pit Escape. Also I felt when he was jumping from wall to wall it would be nice to have him raise his arm and reach for the wall he's leaping to half way through the jump. otherwise it looks a bit like he just sticks to the walls with his sides.

This is all very nitpicky stuff, though. The first impression of the animation is that it rocks. :buttrock:
Very entertaining. I love the rendering style, voice acting, I think is great too. 5 stars from me. :D

Thanks for your crits harmonic - I totally feel what you're saying. The wall jump was done fairly early on, and there was a lot of problem solving in it which meant I had to skimp on the polish and revision stage. That's something I'll go back to and pay attention from here on.

I'm looking at AM CE as a possibility in a year or so. Are you enjoying it? I really enjoyed your heavy push - that was a great setup and even better execution.

EDIT: Second Breakdown

http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_002.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_003.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_006.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_007.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_009.jpg
http://bradkinley.com/images/Breakdowns/b_010.jpg

harmonic01
05-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Hey Brad (did I assume right? :) )

I'll PM you so not to shift attention from your awesome short. :thumbsup:

Michael Chen
05-10-2006, 09:55 PM
Hi Brad

Nice short. It was quite funny :applause:

I may be wrong, but I felt that the lip-sync could do with a bit more work near the start.

By the way great work on the modeling, texturing, lighting and camera work :thumbsup:

craigster3d
05-10-2006, 11:11 PM
Hey, Brad.

It was great to meet you all from Sheridan at the EA Reveal competition. Best of luck with the job hunt and you should have no trouble, your piece was sweet!

I'm sure our paths will cross again!-
Cheers!
-Craig George-

israelyang
05-10-2006, 11:44 PM
hi brad
a lot of us in first year think it's pixar quality! keep up the good work

israel

Lorne
05-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Great film again Brad! I still crack up thinking about Mark screaming in some sound studio for that voice track, haha.

Johnny_Cannuck
05-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Looks great Brad - let me buy you a ddrink when you're back in Calgary.

funkmasterbrad
05-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Hi Brad

Nice short. It was quite funny :applause:
I may be wrong, but I felt that the lip-sync could do with a bit more work near the start.
By the way great work on the modeling, texturing, lighting and camera work :thumbsup:

I agree - I actually redid that section once, but got into a position where I needed to model additional blendshapes for the mouth, and ran out of time to implement them into my slider/osipa style setup.

Thanks for the crit!

ratatat
05-11-2006, 06:32 AM
wow, great work here. this is some really professional looking stuff... wonderful animation and compositing. keep it up and maybe we'll see some more of your stuff here soon.

ciao :applause:

Igo
05-11-2006, 07:08 AM
Gota chance to see this at the EA conest screening, and I was totally blown away man. The character animation over the boulders was ridiculous man. I love how you tied a bunch of vignettes and tie them together while paying homage to one of the best animations ever man, PROPS! Congrats on the win with EA, the frontpage man, good luck with everything.

3dcga
05-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Funny! :lol:

I'd smoothen things up more and watch the facial animation. Other than that, great job. All the best !!! :thumbsup:

yolk
05-11-2006, 08:10 AM
well done.........

and I want to see more ,,,,,,,,

kantcho
05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
I really liked it, so funny.
For a guy who was "born into a family of ambition, humanity and unwavering support," you've really turned into a great animator, haha.
Congrats on the front page and winning at the reveal competition.

Scob
05-11-2006, 08:41 AM
Great stuff...:thumbsup:

Very funny and nice animati:) n...

Cheers...

IestynRoberts
05-11-2006, 10:48 AM
Ha ha ha - I really enjoyed that, it really did have the incredibles vibe to it, especially the animation, i loved it when he was exploring the volcano and the flame nozzles, the anim on the flame nozzles was excellent, and i really liked the voice over, especially when he screams. Awsome stuff! Really good work.
Thanks for showing it, it's brightend up my day.
-Iest

VM
05-11-2006, 11:13 AM
wow, excellent job. the rendering is awesome and the imagery, all in all, including the character, all looks very appealing.

character animation:
in the dude's first shot - lip synch a bit off, especially when he sais 'crusher'
in his second shot - the cartoon take is slow (as a personal preference, I don't like cartoon takes in any other medium except very looney... cartoons, where everything is exaggerated). he shouldn't stay for so long contemplating the disaster coming - so I'd say the shot timing isn't so good. you could let the guy be relaxed for a longer time, and once he sees the danger, you should cut asap, or do something else with him, have a different acting choice maybe, but as soon as he sees what's coming... I don't know, if you want him to have a slow reaction, at least make it comical, since the film wants to be comical. so he could be just slow in his reaction, something like Droopy. anyway, whatever you want to have him doing, just make it believable - the current acting choice is not, or not enough.
his 4th shot - when he climbs the pit walls, there isn't enough contact to support his feet, or pose-wise, not enough squash in the pose that would justify such a jump, again, make it more believable and have him push clearly against the wall, have stronger wall-contacts
his nth... shot - when he falls into the grinder and yells, have his facial expression more tensed, he needs apropriate creasing of the nasolabial furrow deepener for his yelling to look more than just 'slitghtly opening the mouth' ;)
his last shot - very cute, looking sort-of-like what Doug Sweetland animated in Monsters Inc (when Sully faints seing Boo being mashed big style, he he he), but I'd say your character's rig doesn't allow that kind of funkyness, so it doesn't look as good as Pixar's :D Don't be mad at me, I'm not trying to destroy your creation, just trying to be as objective as I can ;)

Last, but not least, I love your stretchy rig :thumbsup: All in all, nice animation, especially for his body.

Womball
05-11-2006, 11:31 AM
This was spectacular! And only 4 months? What was the running time?

scroll-lock
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Nice short! I`m interested how did you record the voices ? Did you edited the movie yourself ? Thanks

loocas
05-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Awesomely funny! :D

I loved the style and the animation man! :thumbsup:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif no doubt! :applause:

RockinAkin
05-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Hahahhaha! Thats awesome... great animation, funny concept - very well done. :thumbsup:

Julius
05-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Great work mate :) You got a laugh out of me!

lovisx
05-11-2006, 02:51 PM
I saw this one when you presented at IDT, nice work!

Psycho_Sam
05-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Really nice movie! Loved it loads :thumbsup:

Likesyrup
05-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Love it great since of story telling your animation is on point ligthing texturing compostions. I can not way to see more of your work in the near future i am sure congrats on your success.

funkmasterbrad
05-11-2006, 03:53 PM
wow, excellent job. the rendering is awesome and the imagery, all in all, including the character, all looks very appealing.

character animation:
in the dude's first shot - lip synch a bit off, especially when he sais 'crusher'
in his second shot - the cartoon take is slow (as a personal preference, I don't like cartoon takes in any other medium except very looney... cartoons, where everything is exaggerated). he shouldn't stay for so long contemplating the disaster coming - so I'd say the shot timing isn't so good. you could let the guy be relaxed for a longer time, and once he sees the danger, you should cut asap, or do something else with him, have a different acting choice maybe, but as soon as he sees what's coming... I don't know, if you want him to have a slow reaction, at least make it comical, since the film wants to be comical. so he could be just slow in his reaction, something like Droopy. anyway, whatever you want to have him doing, just make it believable - the current acting choice is not, or not enough.
his 4th shot - when he climbs the pit walls, there isn't enough contact to support his feet, or pose-wise, not enough squash in the pose that would justify such a jump, again, make it more believable and have him push clearly against the wall, have stronger wall-contacts
his nth... shot - when he falls into the grinder and yells, have his facial expression more tensed, he needs apropriate creasing of the nasolabial furrow deepener for his yelling to look more than just 'slitghtly opening the mouth' ;)
his last shot - very cute, looking sort-of-like what Doug Sweetland animated in Monsters Inc (when Sully faints seing Boo being mashed big style, he he he), but I'd say your character's rig doesn't allow that kind of funkyness, so it doesn't look as good as Pixar's :D Don't be mad at me, I'm not trying to destroy your creation, just trying to be as objective as I can ;)

Last, but not least, I love your stretchy rig :thumbsup: All in all, nice animation, especially for his body.

Absolutely man, It still makes me cringe. I ran out of shapes and time, which makes for a bad combo. I totally agree though.

Very good crit - thanks for it. This is a scene I redid at the very end after having been in lighting and compositing hell for a few weeks. My chops were not there and I think it's the weakest part of the film. The acting choices you suggested of keeping him relaxed for a longer period of time and then snapping into panic is a good one.

his 4th shot - when he climbs the pit walls, there isn't enough contact to support his feet, or pose-wise, not enough squash in the pose that would justify such a jump, again, make it more believable and have him push clearly against the wall, have stronger wall-contacts.

I think my biggest problem with this scene was a lack of solid parkour reference. The feet contact don't bear as much weight as they should, as I was also fighting against time in terms of bringing him up the wall before it closed. I agree, this scene needs another stab and some more careful attention to the contacts.

Again, you are bang on. It was a the whole 'ran out of shapes and time' thing, but is an area I want to address to give the impact you're suggesting.

Animating a sway up a body using an fk spine was a complete bitch, so you are on the money in terms of hitting the wall with my rig.

You've got a great eye, and immediately picked out the parts of my film I'm not totally satisfied with. Thanks for the great crit - I live and breath that stuff!

:)

p.s For those who asked, I did all the sound mixing and effects myself, with the exception of voice recording, which was performed here at the college by Mark Williams and recorded by our talented studio guy

cara-rj
05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Man, I've never laught so much in a long time!! :love:

Great concept, great animation (IMO) and great voice acting.

Maybe you should improve the scream face, to match the voice.

Congrats. :thumbsup:

Canadian_Bacon
05-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Brad did you happen to go to the U of L??

funkmasterbrad
05-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I did! Hi Dan! Throw me a PM.

gpepper
05-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Excellent !

KahlanAmnell
05-11-2006, 08:56 PM
ha ha very cool man.
That had me rollin for a good five minutes and 6 replays.

neiy0
05-11-2006, 09:36 PM
It's got a real "Incredibles" feel to it. Nice job.. only thing is the sound of his voice doesn't seem to be at a constant level..?

Great job though, 4*'s!

Cheers :beer:
-Neil

andyspence
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Heh! Cool short matey :-) The 'Incredibles' influence is obvious, but I love the idea. As someone has already said the best animation is the jumping over the volcanic rocks - nice arcs!! I'd say my main hang up would be with the lip sync which needs a bit more work.

Sweet stuff mate! Keep it up :-D

-Quad.

patconnole
05-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Awesome! I love the visuals! Really professional work.

nit picky stuff, just because I'm jealous ;) :

The character needs to have a shadow in the first stunt. I realize you probably composited it, but it did jump out to me in the first go through.

There's some popping in the poses in the first stunt that you could clean up in a day, to smooth them out and finesse the arcs. The popping I notice is when he's crawling up the first boulder, one leg shoots out behind him... I think you could get that 'scrambling' feel without bringing that leg so far away for one frame.

And, as mentioned, his leaping off the walls. It's not obvious he's pushing himself up, off the walls... feels more like he's flying.

Well done though, it's really amazing. A lot of talent in a lot of areas!!

Zephyrpower
05-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Congratulations on a feature spot up there man! I can tell you really deserved it!

SO this whole thing only took you 4 months to complete? Or did you take 4 months to polish up some previously done work? Still, this is like UBER-impressive, did you take Animation Mentor or just go to some University?
Sorry for all the questions, I guess I'm really just looking up to your work, it's sooo impressive!

I do agree with some of the previous posters, the climb up the pit is a little quick and he kinda brushes off/slithers off the walls. Definetly could use some more weight when hitting the walls!
I might try to exxagerate some of the expressions/experience of pain just a pinch!

Like the others, I'm just being nitpicky with all that stuff, it looks way better than a lot of other animations/demo reels I've seen and even without the improvements, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job, at least I hope not!

P.s. Unlike the other people, I got more of a Sky Captain vibe from this animation, although after watching it a few times I saw the Incredibles with the talking to the camera, dangerous stunts and ancient camera effects

funkmasterbrad
05-12-2006, 02:02 AM
Woah!

Thanks for the great crits. I was concerned about it feeling too derivitive, which it is on the borderline of being. I thought the actual concept was unique enough to pull it off though. I'd probably take it into a little more original character concept direction if I could do it again.

I really do appreciate the critiques, I like nother better than to hear people giving me constructive criticism, as it makes my work so much stronger in the end.

This was done in actually 3.5 months. The only work which had done previously was a very rough version of the character rig (v.90 of an eventual v2.59) and some storyboarding. The character btw, is Node based, stretchy, scalable with seperate hiearchies for geo/bones/cnts.

Pat, I saw your recent character peice (the guy on the yellow background) and it was really strong. I LOVE the dancing. I don't know how to dance, and to animate it would be a real challenge - great job!

I went to the University of Lethbridge for a 'New Media' degree and came out as a 3d generalist working for www.whiteiron.tv (http://www.whiteiron.tv/) (Which taught me a lot of the different aspects of production). After two years, I decided I really wanted to work towards full time character animation and went through the one year post grad Digital Character Animation program. I've just graduated and am looking for work, although I'd love to eventually continue my education with animation mentor's CE program.

Joeranimo
05-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Hey funkmasta, looks damn good.

I agree on the wall climb with the weight...you could probably slow down the wall as it gets closer to allow time for the planting..and you might even gain a bit more suspense.
On the firejets scene..I would say hold the ending or throw another pose or two in.. it just seems a tad confusing because its so quick.
Oh an on the grinder i thought it would be badass if you had him spinning much faster and even a couple more times...IMO :)

Great job dude.. keep at it!

amannin
05-12-2006, 04:38 AM
i believe all the good crits have been taken -- so i'll just nod my head in agreement -- and ask my question...

What is

"The character btw, is Node based, stretchy, scalable with seperate hiearchies for geo/bones/cnts."

I feel kind of retarded, as I tutor people with this stuff -- and yet I don't know what you mean by "node based" -- and I haven't even tried stretchy characters yet -- would love to though -- know any good tutorials ?

--------------------

btw, awesome work!

shoaib
05-12-2006, 06:27 AM
i think we need mirrors for sure...
hint hint...anyone....

Timewaste
05-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Hahaha, so funny! :applause:
I simply love it. style is great, animation is great, render is great, story is great.
nothing more to say, except: Congrats!

nikiatanasov
05-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Awesome animation skills :applause:
the whole peace is very good (pixar styling is noticeble), very good :)
Only the bluring is to mutch for me, even on stills posted here.
Keep the good work :thumbsup:

kikkokman
05-12-2006, 03:17 PM
Nice animation and nice picture

Thank you for good work aninmation
cool man
cool
cool

rafaelrubio
05-12-2006, 03:23 PM
jajajaja! awesome and very very funny piece! 5 stars!

funkmasterbrad
05-12-2006, 03:58 PM
i believe all the good crits have been taken -- so i'll just nod my head in agreement -- and ask my question...

What is

"The character btw, is Node based, stretchy, scalable with seperate hiearchies for geo/bones/cnts."

I feel kind of retarded, as I tutor people with this stuff -- and yet I don't know what you mean by "node based" -- and I haven't even tried stretchy characters yet -- would love to though -- know any good tutorials ?

--------------------

btw, awesome work!

Node based means that I don't use expressions or set driven keys of any kind, and rather use the nodes avaliable in the hypershade (Multiply divide, conditional, average colours, blend, etc..) The Stretchy limbs were done using this method seen below (although this is before I made the rig scalable, so the network changed.

http://static.flickr.com/56/145091430_a35d851ed6.jpg (http://static.flickr.com/56/145091430_a35d851ed6_o.jpg)

eburdeinick
05-12-2006, 05:41 PM
It reminds me of THE INCREDIBLES intro...maybe thatīs where the inspiration came from !!!
Very nice animation, could work the lipsync a little more... maybe too much blur and shake on some scenes... BUT FUNNY !!!
Nice renders...

tarun jain
05-12-2006, 05:47 PM
hi brad, i saw ur animation before u posted it here.i got the link from sushant's website.Enough has been said about ur work so i wont say much. i loved it:buttrock: , just that it would appeal to animators mostly and not to the people in general that is the only low point i feel.I totally loved the shot where he gets burned by flames, totally funny.when he is escaping the pit he pushes with his body out , he doesnt use much of his hands thats a bit odd, unless done on purpopse.:thumbsup:

gpepper
05-12-2006, 06:05 PM
Many many thanks to gpepper for the Mirror!

You welcome !
My server seems to be low. Do U have another server Brad ?

kmest
05-12-2006, 08:19 PM
that was realy a nice job,,i liked the animation and the overallook alot......
keep good working:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

brain-xy
05-13-2006, 10:27 AM
That's awesome!! :)
Really a great job..
I love that style the animation has.. like the old movies in the 1930s..
And of course it's really funny :)

Keep up this good work!

brain

Kid-Mesh
05-13-2006, 11:37 AM
Great job...very funny and nicely done :)

Masnado
05-13-2006, 12:22 PM
Wonderful work!
It remindes me of Wallace & Gromit, in some sections of animation, and The Incredibles at the beginning.
:thumbsup:

DarkAngelSyn
05-13-2006, 06:25 PM
That was pretty funny...love the expressions...nice work

key_framer
05-13-2006, 06:56 PM
Great Stuff!!! I laugh over and over again when watching The Grinder!!! Two thumbs WAY up!!

joelfurtado
05-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Hey Brad, great piece. I loved seeing this one at the EA competition. The quality of animation and rendering is definetely reminiscent of Pixar (which is crazy coming from a student film).
I'm sure you won't have any problems snagging a wicked job. Best of Luck.

DigitalCrystal
05-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Nicely done. The "bloom glow" effect seems a bit over exagerated, but it does make for some interesting looks. My favorite animation is the first where he's running up the hill with the rolling rocks. Funny stuff :thumbsup:

liquidwerx
05-13-2006, 08:34 PM
Beautiful stuff. Great job. :)

M

aquastealth
05-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Simply amazing!
Im a newbie and it would be real fun to know how
many years you have to model/animate before
you get this good?

Tilstrom
05-14-2006, 10:04 PM
impressive work, well done. :cool:

mondo-ray
05-14-2006, 10:09 PM
hey hey,
what's up funkmaster!

awesome job B man, it's been one hell of a year hasn't it?
yer film really turned out really great!
g'luck with all yer interviews.

i'll keep in touch!
ray

GCL
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
http://bradkinley.com/images/Thumbnail_Gallery_Grinder.jpg (http://bradkinley.narf-studios.com/Full_FinalFilm_BradKinley.mov)

Brain-xy has offered to mirror the film, so it's back up and downloadable at the thumbnail above!

Many many thanks to gpepper for the Mirror! --- I took down gpepper's mirror, overloaded it!

I'm using Firefox and IE6 and cannot seem to find the "thumbnail" to download file.
What am I missing or not doing. I saw however a "thumbnail" when replying.

harmonic01
05-15-2006, 05:02 AM
Hey GCL. Did you try clicking on the thumbnail you quoted? If it still doesn't work try this.
http://bradkinley.narf-studios.com/Full_FinalFilm_BradKinley.mov

Hope you'll get to see it, it's freak'n awesome. :thumbsup:

xtrm3d
05-15-2006, 06:50 AM
it was hilarious ..
did have a lot of fun watching it -)

congratulation fo this great animation

GCL
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey GCL. Did you try clicking on the thumbnail you quoted? If it still doesn't work try this.
http://bradkinley.narf-studios.com/Full_FinalFilm_BradKinley.mov

Hope you'll get to see it, it's freak'n awesome. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link...I did try to click on the "thumbnail" but got nothing. It was the image rather than a link to it. It's possible that my Zone Alarm 6 is keeping me from seeing it.
Watched it and pretty good !

CGTalk Moderation
05-16-2006, 03:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.