PDA

View Full Version : Need help with terminologies

JonZ
05-10-2006, 08:09 PM
I am making progress in my Photoshop techniques.

One major problems I am facing with the growing skill is I am more left over unamed layers. I can't name all layers accurately.

I am facing a problem somewhat also related to old fashion art itself. it about shadow and lightnings. When I create objects in PS, I do the body first then I apply the skin on them by different types of shades and then the textures on different grouped layers.

You know? they always have some kind of tutorials in basic drawing books where they show a ball with different shadow and light types. And they usually name what are these shades type and what they do. I have some of them but they are in french.

This way I think I could resolve a big portion of my unnamed layers problem. Any link will be appreciated :)

If you have also other tips for terminologies and layer structures other than Light and Shadow, I will appreciate too!

Thanks!

Runecaster
05-10-2006, 08:48 PM
Hey there :)

You know there isn't any magical way to name your layers. You just name them what you want... it totally doesn't even matter what you name them at all, as long as you understand what each layer is.

I get funky with mine, for fun. "Really Annoying Tree From Hell" was one once....

JonZ
05-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey there :)

You know there isn't any magical way to name your layers. You just name them what you want... it totally doesn't even matter what you name them at all, as long as you understand what each layer is.

I get funky with mine, for fun. "Really Annoying Tree From Hell" was one once....

Yeah, but it not only for me. I work in an environment where other people have to 'negotiate' with my files. So naming them appropriately would be a plus ;)

And I have an average of 500layers per files, doesn't help much. Yeah I could divide my files and make specific parts in different and smaller files, but I never succeed to do such because I am too dependent of the environment of my artworks,which save me times for making corrections back and forth.

I know the terminologies I am looking for are also named in 3D programs such Cinema 4d. But I don't have these program in hand now. Yeah I am really looking for Light and Shades terminologies.

Runecaster
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
And I have an average of 500layers per files,

Oh man, I don't even know what to say to that! hehe

audit
05-10-2006, 10:51 PM
Is this what you were looking for?
Swiped it from a tutorial... http://www.anticz.com/drawing1.htm

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/86audit19/cgforums/Photos/basicForm.jpg

hope it helps you...

Rebeccak
05-10-2006, 11:03 PM
What about "Line Art", "Coloring", "Background" etc?

Also, you should try grouping your layers into folders. You can even nest your folders within folders.

For example, if you have a lot of different layers for your line art, name them what you want, line art_01, line art_02 etc., then put them all in a folder called "Line Art".

The same for Color Layers and for your Background Layer/s.

It seems pretty simple to me. :)

Also, if you name one layer and duplicate it (Ctrl + J), it will take the name of the 1st layer. So try getting into the habit of naming the first layer. But, it's really not hard to copy and paste the names of your layers from one to the other. Just double click on the layer name, copy, paste.

Why do you need 500 layers? That seems really excessive. I don't know what kind of project you're working on though ~ can you give us an example? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

JonZ
05-11-2006, 12:02 AM
Is this what you were looking for?
Swiped it from a tutorial... http://www.anticz.com/drawing1.htm

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/86audit19/cgforums/Photos/basicForm.jpg

hope it helps you...

Awesome. Very much appreciated :) thanks

Is also theme like Speculars and diffuse lights are also terminologies of L&S in general or they are just strictely 3D applications themes? (I don't even know what specular is lol)

JonZ
05-11-2006, 12:12 AM
What about "Line Art", "Coloring", "Background" etc?

Also, you should try grouping your layers into folders. You can even nest your folders within folders.

For example, if you have a lot of different layers for your line art, name them what you want, line art_01, line art_02 etc., then put them all in a folder called "Line Art".

The same for Color Layers and for your Background Layer/s.

It seems pretty simple to me. :)

Also, if you name one layer and duplicate it (Ctrl + J), it will take the name of the 1st layer. So try getting into the habit of naming the first layer. But, it's really not hard to copy and paste the names of your layers from one to the other. Just double click on the layer name, copy, paste.

Why do you need 500 layers? That seems really excessive. I don't know what kind of project you're working on though ~ can you give us an example? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

I'm doing much what you have described. Only having different effects on groups become a hard task and dupplicating cannot much beign made. But I have many layers that have separate Shading and lightnings and I will try to name them to their corresponding name from now on.

Projects I am working, I can't reveal any for contract disclosures reasons, but they are interfaces much based on 3D realism artworks with most of the time with heavy mechanical designs themes. They don't probably have 500 layers each, I add and delete alot of them.

Just right now I've just created a layer and it numbered Layer 759 :D

Rebeccak
05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by JonZ: I'm doing much what you have described. Only having different effects on groups become a hard task and dupplicating cannot much beign made. But I have many layers that have separate Shading and lightnings and I will try to name them to their corresponding name from now on.
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean about duplication problems ~ you do know that you can duplicate folders? So if you have a set of layers in a folder, each layer with a different effect, you can just duplicate the whole folder which will be placed above the original in your Layers Pallette.

Sorry, I'm not sure I'm understanding your question, but I wish you luck in getting it sorted out. :thumbsup:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

JonZ
05-11-2006, 01:14 AM
Well yea I know how duplicate. I usually drag on the paper icon on the palette. What I mean is when I've read your solution about dupliucate the effects is not really compatible with my methods since I rarely use the same properties. That's all.

audit
05-11-2006, 01:57 AM
Awesome. Very much appreciated :) thanks

Is also theme like Speculars and diffuse lights are also terminologies of L&S in general or they are just strictely 3D applications themes? (I don't even know what specular is lol)

No problem...but, er, i don't know all that technical stuff; I'm sure they are to do with lighting and shade, very advanced stuff though. All I can tell you is that diffuse lights come from a wide source, such as the sky, pin/point-lighting is from a spot light of some kind (sun, lamp). Specular is a bright, mirror-like highlight probably from a direct source. I've also heard of sub-surface scattering, but...try the 3d people for that one :D

Runecaster
05-11-2006, 03:44 AM
No problem...but, er, i don't know all that technical stuff; I'm sure they are to do with lighting and shade, very advanced stuff though. All I can tell you is that diffuse lights come from a wide source, such as the sky, pin/point-lighting is from a spot light of some kind (sun, lamp). Specular is a bright, mirror-like highlight probably from a direct source. I've also heard of sub-surface scattering, but...try the 3d people for that one :D

Ooh Audit the teacher :) I didn't know any of that :D :thumbsup:

JonZ
05-30-2006, 07:57 PM
thanks, I've just got the mail notification of the later replies only after .... 20 days? lol

thanks again :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-30-2006, 07:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.