PDA

View Full Version : Camera Working with other 3d Apps?

3DArtZ
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Anyone think that Camera would/could ever be expanded to work with other
3d software?

any programmer types know what the scale of that effort would be?.... ie. how much
work would it take and which side would the effort have to come from
EI or the other software 3d software producers?

just curious....

Mike Fitz
www.3dartz.com (http://www.3dartz.com)

sacslacker
05-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Man that'd be great. Camera truely is one of the hottest renderers out there. At least in my opinion.

Vizfizz
05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Well.. EI has decided to go about this in an indirect manner through FBX. There has been much debate over this subject (Camera licensing), however, EITG has always taken the same stance. No.

I wouldn't expect Camera to become open sourced to other programs anytime soon or if ever. There are plenty of arguments both pro and con about taking this action, but in these days of vast CG options, EITG probably feels that Camera is its last trump card. I can't blame them. If they were to open up Camera to the rest of the world, EIAS would either cease to exist or there is also the potential of Camera just getting lost in a sea of other renderers. (Of course this is my opinion). The time to license Camera has come and gone. It should have been done about 3-5 years ago if this was the direction EITG truly wanted to take. Of course back then, EITG probably didn't have the resources to accomplish this.

Its somewhat akin to Apple openining up OSX for the world to see. When your software only represents a small niche in the computer world, (or in our case now the CG world) its quite possible that your code would get diluted, absorbed or assimilated into something you don't want it to be.

I used to criticise EITG for not opening up Camera to the rest of the world, but I've changed my opinion since v6.5 came around. If EITG continues to work towards opening up Camera through adequate bridges in Animator (like FBX), users of other software packages can take advantage of their own animation software and the powers of EIAS as well.

Our community goal is to increase the desireability of the package by showing others what can be accomplished with EIAS, especially when marrying EIAS to other packages. This in turn helps to increase sales which of course brings health and prosperity to EITG.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2006, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.