PDA

View Full Version : Shading and painting-need help

mascam
05-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Hello all,
I would like to say that this drawing is a big success for me...
What would u say?What can I change in the face?To make it realistic..Just like a photo...
I need help on shading as well...I want this to be a black and white photo..I know I want too much considering my talents..
Thank you...

Selpakius
05-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Hey Mascam! What up? :)

Listen, I think you've made a good start. In order to go for photo-realism (which I assume is your target) one must have a very solid understanding of shading and texture qualities, besides all other aspects of painting that i can't probably cover in this short post. In your situation, I would advice you to find some reference pictures (or even do it your self, just grab a friend for a couple of minutes, come up with a lighting setup, and voila!) and try to study the qualities of light and shadow and transform what you observe into your own art work.
Choose a color palette for your object's skin, a color palette fro the enviroment...also make sure you have a shadow palette wide enough to create the depth in your work (many artists happen to create their shadow palette from the colors they already put on their paintings, that is picking up colors from your art work in photoshop and making them lighter or darker).
Pay attention to hair, it is a totally crazy subject by it self. Reference it!
Also, about having the artwork in b&w, I would advice to work your art in full color first, and then converting it to a gray scale image in photoshop later on. At this point you can either call your artwork as finished or you can go ahead and start the same composition by using a b&w only palette with the reference you already have in b&w.
Hope this helps..

Serkan

mascam
05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Thanks a lot serkan,i was working on nudity while u were saying all these lol...
I will try to push my limits

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2006, 06:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.