PDA

View Full Version : closestPointOnSurface questions

phyle
05-10-2006, 04:58 AM
Hi there!
What I am trying to do is create a matte on one object of where another object is close to the other. I basically wanted to create a gradient with which I could blend one object into another in a compositing program.

When I create a closestPointOnSurface node I cannot seem to connect an object into its Input Surface. The little triangle to the right of the attribute is grayed out. I thought I should just be able to drag a nurbs surface into my input surface?

I wanted to use distancebetween on my closestpointonsurface and samplerinfo.pointworld, and then pass that through a gradient to a surface shader.

Am I going about this the right way? how do i connect the closestpointonsurface up to a survace?

Also, is there such thing as closestpointonMesh? I type -
createNode closestPointOnMesh;
into the script editor and it just creates an unknown1 node...

Any help would be good, Im a bit lost..
thanks

rokandic
05-10-2006, 09:05 AM
To use closestPointOnSurface you have to connect nurbsSurface shape "worldSpace" attribute into "inputSurface".

closestPointOnMesh is a plugin which source code comes with Maya you just have to compile it.

-rok

phyle
05-11-2006, 01:08 AM
Thanks man! I got it working.
This will be so useful for so many things I cant believe I never knew how to do this.

The only thing is that every tiem i click on the closestpointonsurfacenode I get an error-
Error: Object not found: goToConnectedMenuItem

But its working so Im not too worried..
Is there some place I can learn how to compile closestPointOnMesh? I dont really know how to do that..

Thanks again.

rokandic
05-11-2006, 10:28 AM
The only thing is that every tiem i click on the closestpointonsurfacenode I get an error-Error: Object not found: goToConnectedMenuItem
Sorry, don't know why you get this error.

Is there some place I can learn how to compile closestPointOnMesh? I dont really know how to do that..
Check into Maya docs how to compile a plugin. I think it is already compiled in the bonus tools but I'm not sure.

-rok

phyle
05-12-2006, 02:43 AM
Thanks for your help! it appears to be in bonus tools so ill give that a try.

hyperSasquatch
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
this is all really intriguing, im trying to create a shoreline effect with a foamy edge.. this would work quite well,

i can sort of understand what your talking about here.. but unfortunatly i cant seem to reproduce what you are explaining..

can you be a little more clear on how exactly you put your shader together phyle?

thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
03-12-2007, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.