PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a shotgun to a character for games

animator1313
05-10-2006, 02:35 AM
I'm trying to rig up a ca870 shotgun to a game resolution character 4 maya. I need it to swap between a holster on his boot and into his hand. I've tried having set-driven keys to swap out weighting between parent constraints, but I need to have the ability to rotate the shotgun independently for different poses in the hand as well for jiggling animation while in the boot holster. Any Suggestions?

step 2 would be making the other had toggle on and off as well so he can carry it with both hands as well as pump the shotgun.

Thanks for any suggestions

-jonathan

eek
05-10-2006, 05:33 PM
What about the 'parent contraint'?

eek

animator1313
05-10-2006, 05:43 PM
i used parent constraints between the gun and the knee joint, and the gun and the hand joint and then made an attribute that shuffled back and forth between their weighting controls.
The problem with that is, that it does not allow for independent rotation of the shotgun itself

eek
05-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Ok then, parent the gun to a locator and drive the locator with the parent contstraint. Or position constrain the gun to the point and orientational constrain it to another point, if it heirchy cant be broken. Problem with this being, its orientation will be fixed to the new points orientation.

eek

lkruel
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
On in simpler terms, group the shotgun to itself, and constraint the group to the arm and the holdster, if you dont add the extra node the shotgun will snap whenever you rotate it and then move the arm, which sounds like your problem.

If you REALLY want the orients to be lined up right, you can give that group node the rotation values of the shotgun and then freeze channels of the shotgun.

Hope that helps,
LK

PS: Eek's thing will work too, but I like to use null groups instead

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2006, 06:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.