PDA

View Full Version : trouble with Shortcut Hierarchies

jackb602
05-09-2006, 10:11 PM
This is a feature I've never been able to successfully use, and I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. On page 5 of the R9 Reference Manual I read:

Shortcut hierarchies

Now you can assign multiple key commands to a shortcut. For example, hitting 'a' could access one shortcut, whereas 'a' swiftly followed by 'b' could access an entirely different one.

This doesn't work for me, and it never has since I first upgraded to R9. I'm now on R9.603 (on OS X 10.4.6) and it still doesn't work. For example, I want to use 'R' for Rotate, and 'R~P' for Render to Picture Viewer. Once I define these two shortcuts in the command manager, pressing 'R' alone always brings up the menu of 'R~x' combinations, and it never activates the Rotate tool.

I've exchanged several e-mails with Maxon tech support and they don't seem to know what the problem is. Has anyone else run into this? Is what I'm trying to do possible with Cinema, or have I misread the manual? I'd appreciate any advice.

Jack

Per-Anders
05-09-2006, 10:23 PM
hi it can't work that way. you can'thave R for rotate then R~'x' for a menu, as it doesn't know what it's meant to do, it's simply conflicting shortcuts, one brings up the menu, the other is trying to start a command. you have to do somethign like R~R for rotate.

jackb602
05-09-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmm, that's what I figured. But it directly contradicts the quote from the manual. Maybe the bug is in the manual and not Cinema.

Jack

jackb602
05-10-2006, 02:38 AM
I just heard back from Maxon tech support. Apparently the manual is incorrect.

Jack

Per-Anders
05-10-2006, 02:46 AM
doh!

oh well, at least that makes the most sense, otherwise you'd ahve to wait for the shortcut menu to close before the tool would become active etc, which would drive everyone crazy.

jackb602
05-10-2006, 03:41 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure exactly how that would work. Maybe if the interval were short enough, it would be practical...the same way the OS can differentiate between a double click and two single clicks.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2006, 03:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.