PDA

View Full Version : WarCraft Live-Action Movie in the works

Brettzies
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1002464761

I can't believe this hasn't been posted here already. Maybe it has, I only went back 3 pages, or it's burried in somewhere.

I was hoping for a cg-film myself, I wonder how this one will pan out, and who will do the fx and animation.

Ivan D Young
05-09-2006, 09:31 PM
WooHoo! it's about time.

CelticArtist
05-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Interesting, i'm curious as to how they'll maintain the artistic style of the universe, if it's live action, it could just come across as being a humorous Lord of the Rings.

ThomasMahler
05-09-2006, 10:20 PM
They better get this right...

Geta-Ve
05-09-2006, 10:33 PM
Ya there is way too many ways that they can screw this up :(

Brettzies
05-09-2006, 10:37 PM
Interesting, i'm curious as to how they'll maintain the artistic style of the universe, if it's live action, it could just come across as being a humorous Lord of the Rings.

I agree, WarCraft has such a stylized - psuedo realistic proportion look - that's why I was hoping for a cg film instead. At this point, I don't know what would be more difficult to pull off, full cg or live-action without looking cheesy. If you take out the style, you're then left with what? A Lord of the Rings clone? Or worse, a badly done LotR clone.

Geta-Ve
05-09-2006, 10:55 PM
there was a reason gnomes and trolls didn't make the cinematics...:scream:

HapZungLam
05-09-2006, 10:59 PM
NOOOO~~~~ plz don't screwed the image of mighty warcraft~

erilaz
05-09-2006, 11:24 PM
Oh dear... I always worry when another huge gaming franchise is filmified. The results are usually not good. :sad:

pgp_protector
05-09-2006, 11:34 PM
What there not telling you is that 1/2 way through the movie the screen will go black, and 1/2 the viewers will be kicked out of the theater.

aaron111
05-09-2006, 11:39 PM

Shaderhacker
05-10-2006, 12:20 AM
I was waiting for this movie to take fruition. It was bound to happen. Warcraft has such an awesome background and story to tell, it only makes sense. Now to find out which VFX studio is going to work it. ;)

-M

3DKnight
05-10-2006, 12:33 AM
uh oh!

this might be trouble

CIM
05-10-2006, 01:01 AM
Already posted (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=355688).

PhilOsirus
05-10-2006, 01:21 AM
I play WoW but seriously, how can it not be Uwe Bowl cheesy?

EpShot
05-10-2006, 01:35 AM
First Production Images! (http://dnkblog.wordpress.com/2006/02/02/world-of-warcraft-the-movie-a-china-production/)

insanepoly
05-10-2006, 01:41 AM
Holy crap, I hope you're not serious. This is Uwe Boll to the power of infinity. My eyes, my eyes...oh the humanity!!!

PhilOsirus
05-10-2006, 02:03 AM
LOL

Someone call Uwe Bowl to the rescue, he has the greatest chance ever to redeem himself!

PhantomDesign
05-10-2006, 02:04 AM
First Production Images! (http://dnkblog.wordpress.com/2006/02/02/world-of-warcraft-the-movie-a-china-production/)
My eyes!

I hope that's not real - there's such potentail behind the warcraft franchise. This just looks like a bunch of asians in poor quality costumes (not trying to offend asians - but these look like asians).

flawedprefect
05-10-2006, 02:27 AM
STILL waiting for that live action Space invaders movie they've been promising for ever...

P_T
05-10-2006, 03:21 AM
LOL!! it looks like a bunch of Chinese LARPing big time.

They really should've gone the CG way. LOTR set a really high bar in terms of production value on their props and costumes plus since it's live action, I doubt we'll see any extravagant magic spell FX. I also wonder how they gonna do the night elves/orcs/legions, I'm not really looking forward to fake looking painted actors.

I really don't see this movie satisfying the fans, there will be a lot of stuff taken out due to "financial constraint".

Shaderhacker
05-10-2006, 03:22 AM
I seriously doubt Blizzard would allow such low production and lack of talent for their film.

-M

noisewar
05-10-2006, 03:39 AM
Hero: We've slain the mighty demon of Azeroth!

Heroine: Let's hearth out and celebrate with our kinsmen!

Hero: Yes my lady, let's... wait... hey where is the Golden MacGuffin he dropped? We need that to save the world... wait don't hearth yet! Hey! Give that back!

Heroine: LOL. Auction house here I come, our people be damned.

<poof>

Ivan D Young
05-10-2006, 04:51 AM
I would not get too excited just yet, Chris Metzen will be overseeing many of the creative elements for the movie and he has been overseeing Warcraft from the beginning, and has done a lot of the artwork. I do not think with Metzen at the helm that too much of the Warcraft elements and theme will be lost. I think if the movie is given a decent budget and a decent amount of time to finish this movie, it will be just fine.

CupOWonton
05-10-2006, 05:07 AM
Are they Larping with giant candycane sticks?

Pyke
05-10-2006, 07:07 AM
You guys must remember that we are talking about a company that has completely cancelled one project because it was not up to Blizzard standards, and shelved another one that was (as far as I can remember) almost close to gold, again-becuase they wanted to make sure they realeased the best possible game.
Blizzard are FIERCLY protective about their images and their game universes, and a decision like this is not to be taken lightly.

The company is a cash cow, and could in all probability fund the project themselves if need be. Think of it as an independant film with zero bugget constraints. If it came down to needing more money, I have no doub that Blizzard would foot the bill if need be.

Also remember that with Peter Jackson at the helm of HALO, other production companys are going to be taking a second look at the 'game to film' market, and the bane of boll will be swept away.

I have been waiting for this for years! I've definately got high hopes!

Icarus
05-10-2006, 07:08 AM
hmmm... Glad to hear Mr Bowl isnt having his way with this one :D

Pufferfish
05-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Greed roll!

Jozvex
05-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Wow, Warcraft is the new Power Rangers!

pearson
05-10-2006, 07:59 AM
In the immortal words of Luke Skywalker, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

I am definitely not going to see this until I hear from friends whether it sucks horribly.

Emmanuel
05-10-2006, 11:34 AM
Come on, that china made thing is obviously some kind of fan film...
a true WC moie would be great though, as it would have more depth than LOTR for both, the humans and the orcish hordes.

Pufferfish
05-10-2006, 12:24 PM
as it would have more depth than LOTR...

O_O... H... Ho...er.. how dare you even say that?

pixelmonk
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM

like the D&D movie? that was just horrible.

pixelmonk
05-10-2006, 01:38 PM
Come on, that china made thing is obviously some kind of fan film...
a true WC moie would be great though, as it would have more depth than LOTR for both, the humans and the orcish hordes.

the Forsaken, foooo!!! :)

P_T
05-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Also remember that with Peter Jackson at the helm of HALO, other production companys are going to be taking a second look at the 'game to film' market, and the bane of boll will be swept away.

I have been waiting for this for years! I've definately got high hopes!

Don't get your hopes too high, Peter Jackson is only producing not directing.

I hope Weta or ILM or both are going to be involved as the VFX provider for WC movie.

mv
05-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Hahaha that chinese wow film thing is hilarious.

Pyke
05-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Don't get your hopes too high, Peter Jackson is only producing not directing.

I just ment that the name is attached.

kmest
05-10-2006, 03:50 PM
mmmmm........this cn be perfect or #%*$&%) .......

i think those images are not real.....well....hope so

CelticArtist
05-10-2006, 03:57 PM
The VFX company working on it is apparently the same ones that did Batman Begins, Legendary or something like that. So no, those images are not real, I have no insider information, but i would believe that I am the star of the movie as the prophet of Azeroth before I believe those crappy costumes are a product of blizzard. Like someone said, looks like a WoW themed Larper convention. I may not be sure how they'll translate the style to live action, but I do believe it will be halfway decent, and probably pretty damn good.

P_T
05-10-2006, 04:26 PM
I just ment that the name is attached.

My mistake, usually the term "at the helm" means the director.

I may not be sure how they'll translate the style to live action, but I do believe it will be halfway decent, and probably pretty damn good.

That's the part I'm having problem with, how are they going to have heavily muscled orc or dwarves or the skin tone of the night elves. Well maybe they can sort out the orc or dwarf but the elves can look pretty damn silly if not done right.

I really wish they'd go for CG instead of live action. Heck, the undead scourge characters are more suitable in CG anyway like that Pinky demon in Doom.

So many characters in WC universe and I bet only a few will be featured in the film. Wanna guess which ones gonna be in it? At least till there's more info about the movie

Death Knight, Lich, (Hoping for) Infernal and frost wyrm, some elf archer, human knight, archmage, maybe a tauren and a generic orc grunt and some of the war machine, hopefully the Meat Wagon:D.

KOKE
05-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Hope its CG, cant see how gnomes and trolls would look good otherwise. :argh:

But anyway, it should be interesting to see this project.

:D

JK.

noxy
05-10-2006, 06:15 PM
The VFX company working on it is apparently the same ones that did Batman Begins, Legendary or something like that.

Just to clear things up, Legendary is a production company, not a VFX company. They are producing Superman and Lady in the Water, and Ant Bully, and most anything also produced by Warner Bros.

Noxy

yeoj
05-10-2006, 07:39 PM
one of my favorite games! hope to see huge armies from the four races... :)

pixelmonk
05-10-2006, 08:05 PM
The undead will rule in the end!!! Unless of course Blizzard gets in on the production and then it will be those gimpy Dorf Palys that save the day. Nerf the Paly!!! :)

pgp_protector
05-10-2006, 09:11 PM
The undead will rule in the end!!! Unless of course Blizzard gets in on the production and then it will be those gimpy Dorf Palys that save the day. Nerf the Paly!!! :)

L2P :P

Mages are way underspeced. We need Invisibility :)

neonneo
05-11-2006, 12:19 AM
live action? oh my!

P_T
05-11-2006, 01:50 AM
L2P :P

Mages are way underspeced. We need Invisibility :)

Heh, the whole night elves race is underspecced and there was a time when each patch seemed to make them weaker and weaker.

Lordiego01
05-11-2006, 04:08 PM
You guys complaining about live action..

I bet it'll be live action and CG. Sort of like Lord of the Rings.

pixelmonk
05-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Heh, the whole night elves race is underspecced and there was a time when each patch seemed to make them weaker and weaker.

uh? NE's have shadowmeld. Most of the work was done on classes and not races. Rogues still have the least amount of love.

moujot
05-11-2006, 05:05 PM
Might be wrong but i don't see how such a project could do without CG.. But i do hope it won't be all CG.
Anyway i've been a Warcraft fan ever since it was out, i'm waiting for this, might be cool. I would agree that Blizzard has always been very protective over their work and have always pushed things to make them as good as possible.. but i know i'm saying that in the hopes that it will be good.
I was sort of surprised that no other major movie was made in an heroic fantasy kind of world after LOTR's success (well i have not seen Narnia yet).
Now, i would also be happy if they decided to go movies with Starcraft !!

That chinese thing is... just incredible. I'd like to see it actually ! :)

mouj

P_T
05-11-2006, 05:36 PM
uh? NE's have shadowmeld. Most of the work was done on classes and not races. Rogues still have the least amount of love.

Are you talking about Warcraft 3 here?

Anyway, back to topic. I would've thought that it'll be cheaper to make full CG film rather than live action, specially for a Starcraft type of film. Plus they won't have to worry about total photorealism, everything would look consistent (no comments like "oh that looks so fake"), no need to make practical props and costumes, no need to pay A list actors, practical effects etc and most of all, the visual style will be a lot closer to the game.

I know Blizzard cares about quality of their product but there have been unsatisfactory cooperations between movie and film. If I remember correctly PJ went to Ubisoft for Kingkong coz he wasn't happy with the way EA handled the LOTR project, something about EA snubbing PJ's input. While that case is the opposite of this one, similar thing can and might occur.

pixelmonk
05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Are you talking about Warcraft 3 here?

World of Warcraft.

P_T
05-11-2006, 05:47 PM
World of Warcraft.

Thought so, I was talking about Warcraft 3.

chrisWhite
05-11-2006, 06:52 PM
I'm definitely scared to see what they do with this, a Warcraft movie has so much potential to be bad. Even so, there isn't no chance it could be good, if it were any one other than Blizzard I'd think this would be doomed.

Brettzies
05-11-2006, 10:36 PM

I bet it'll be live action and CG. Sort of like Lord of the Rings.No way man. It'll be all real, they'll probably actually kill peopel too. :rolleyes:

Blizzard does have an extrememly high standard when it comes to their products...but, we're talking about Hollywood now. They have a way of screwing stuff up and aren't too happy about missing release dates. I don't know how much control or involvement they'll get once it reaches a certain stage.

Digiegg
05-12-2006, 03:35 AM
Peter Jackson... please save this film... PLEASE !

Fred Heys
05-12-2006, 02:39 PM

good point...

Fred Heys
05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Peter Jackson... please save this film... PLEASE !

game to film....we know the formula........absolute C.R.A.P

Digiegg
05-12-2006, 05:44 PM
not true...
Halo + Peter Jackson = Drool

PhantomDesign
05-12-2006, 08:01 PM
not true...
Halo + Peter Jackson = Drool

I haven't been keeping up with it, but I seem to remember it's not even close to being done.

quadrille
05-12-2006, 08:42 PM
They should do a StarCraft movie instead, I always found that game to be so much more visually appealing, not really a fan of the bright colors and exaggerated style of WC, but that's just me.

dalmanna
05-12-2006, 11:19 PM

well yeah but their missing a chance to make an animated film that looks like the wow intro. then things wouldn't look crap when the switch to cg mid shot so some character can do something insane.

ah well one day they make an awesome fantasy cg movie

CelticArtist
05-12-2006, 11:56 PM
well yeah but their missing a chance to make an animated film that looks like the wow intro. then things wouldn't look crap when the switch to cg mid shot so some character can do something insane.

ah well one day they make an awesome fantasy cg movie

In my opinion, the Wow intro just doesn't fit the style of the warcraft universe, so i kind of hope that that is not the direction they take, but i'm sure it probably will be. the thing that defines the Warcraft universe is the style, color and humor, and the intro sequence loses all three of those. It is beautiful CG, it just doesn't fit into their universe in my mind.

dalmanna
05-13-2006, 12:13 AM
In my opinion, the Wow intro just doesn't fit the style of the warcraft universe, so i kind of hope that that is not the direction they take, but i'm sure it probably will be. the thing that defines the Warcraft universe is the style, color and humor, and the intro sequence loses all three of those. It is beautiful CG, it just doesn't fit into their universe in my mind.

yeah to behonest i know nothing about the other games my flat mate just plays wow like tomorrow isn't coming. i thought the intro was pretty epic and i personally would like a cg film like that at some point but if like you say it doesn't keep with the games normal themes then maybe its not a good idea.:shrug: i dunno i think games to films are always gonna be hard to do just because everyone has a different experience.

i mean i really love halo but i'm scared of the film coz it could put a bad mark on somthing i love, i'm not really sure how the films gonna work. i'm just praying that they don't screw it up its my baby :sad:

Tonedef
05-13-2006, 08:51 AM
See, that is what I hate about Warcraft now. The first 2 games where cartoony due to graphical limitations and then it got carried over to Warcraft 3 and over done in WoW, though they have always had a very serious tone and atmosphere to the game before hand. Almost every single CG cinematic done for any Warcraft game has been very realistic.

OT:Thank god they stopped production on Ghost too, it was not looking much better in the way of graphics, color, etc.

CIM
05-13-2006, 08:03 PM
See, that is what I hate about Warcraft now. The first 2 games where cartoony due to graphical limitations and then it got carried over to Warcraft 3 and over done in WoW, though they have always had a very serious tone and atmosphere to the game before hand. Almost every single CG cinematic done for any Warcraft game has been very realistic.

OT:Thank god they stopped production on Ghost too, it was not looking much better in the way of graphics, color, etc.

Warcraft's colorful, cartoony style is by choice. Suggesting otherwise makes you look foolish. :D

Tonedef
05-13-2006, 09:36 PM
I am not saying it is not...I am saying that it wasn't until Warcraft 3, and I feel it was a horrible move.

CIM
05-13-2006, 10:08 PM
I am not saying it is not...I am saying that it wasn't until Warcraft 3, and I feel it was a horrible move.

Sure thing, Mr. Technologist. :rolleyes:

kungfuelmosan
05-14-2006, 01:22 AM
Thos pics were a joke - it wasnt an enthusiast movie it was previs for an enthusiast movie

Will the movie be based on WOW or Warcraft? cause if its a WOW movie i know some people who will devour their own faces in excitement over it ... WOW should be a level 3 elicit!

Tonedef
05-14-2006, 03:39 AM
Sure thing, Mr. Technologist. :rolleyes:

Do you have some sort of problem? No need to be an ass, simply correct me if I am wrong...but as far as I know there were many limitations graphically on Warcraft 1&2 considering they were made in '94 and '95. If you could prove to me otherwise, then please do.

And otherwise I am stating my opinion. Warcraft is serious on most all aspects except graphics. And they have just become increasingly more cartoony with each title. Now all the buildings look like something out of a damn Tim Burton movie.

P_T
05-14-2006, 05:53 AM
In Warcraft 3, maybe part of the reason it looks cartoony because the scale of the building compare to the units? I know the bright colorful unit helps to distinguish my units from the enemy.

I've only watched my mate played WoW so I can't say anything about it but yeah I don't really like the design in that game, my mate's lvl 60 elf warrior or something look like a clown with the really colorful armor pieces. Personally I prefer the design of Lineage 2.

Tonedef
05-14-2006, 07:21 AM
Yeah, Warcraft 3 was a little on the colorful side...pushing it, but tollerable. WoW just pushed it all overboard.

flawedprefect
05-14-2006, 11:42 PM
In the immortal words of Luke Skywalker, "I've got a bad feeling about this."

Dude, that was Han Solo.

pswitzer
05-15-2006, 09:21 PM
"See, that is what I hate about Warcraft now. The first 2 games where cartoony due to graphical limitations and then it got carried over to Warcraft 3 and over done in WoW, though they have always had a very serious tone and atmosphere to the game before hand. Almost every single CG cinematic done for any Warcraft game has been very realistic.

OT:Thank god they stopped production on Ghost too, it was not looking much better in the way of graphics, color, etc."

Have a look at the concept art, not merely the newest pieces, but even way back in the days of Warcraft 1, the game was designed with a certain style, not merely on the computer screen, but in every stage. There was nothing forcing them to make Warcraft as colourful as they made it with the original game(s). In fact, if you look at Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, you'll find that it's infact less vibrant and colourful than Warcraft 2.

On topic of the movie, well... If anyone can do it, afford it, and wield enough powerful to insure it's done right, I suppose Blizzard is a prime candidate. They are however in partnership with another body on this one, so there's some questionable variables there, but lets just wait and see.

I'm more interested in how they will focus the storyline and plot of the movie into a feature length timeframe. Even LotR had to cram content in like crazy over the course of 3 EXTENDED length films to fit the timeframe of the story in. There is easily as much timeline(infact more I suppose, as we're never really shown it all).

Will they focus in on an event, will they span the whole world? Will they jump around between parallel progressive stories taking place (ala LotR)?

It really comes down to how much of the world and its inhabitants they wish to show. Movie magic can deal with a lot of the technical hurdles.

Zalmanus
06-01-2006, 12:44 AM
New information about Warcraft movie you will find on http://dpromo.spb.ru/medved/in.php?id=51048

Geta-Ve
06-01-2006, 07:23 AM
New information about Warcraft movie you will find on http://dpromo.spb.ru/medved/in.php?id=51048

That is just retarded. . .:p

Anyways, my opinion, to those that say "help us p.jackson!" I say ugh. I don't like jacksons style of film making. not so much lotr but I really disliked the visual/camera style he did in king kong. to me it just felt like he was forcing alot of emotion on the audience. Emotion that realllly isn't there.

Moving on however, this movie will fail. The reason however is NOT because of the film makers, producers, hollywood, or anything like that. It will fail because of the fans. Nothing, absolutely nothing will compare with the fans imagination.

Oh and one good game to movie (in my opinion) was silent hill. Though to be honest I only got 30 minutes into the first game... What I really loved about the movie though was the siren. Not knowing when the world would turn to shit. That was exhilerating!

pixelmonk
06-01-2006, 02:25 PM
That is just retarded. . .:p

Anyways, my opinion, to those that say "help us p.jackson!" I say ugh. I don't like jacksons style of film making. not so much lotr but I really disliked the visual/camera style he did in king kong. to me it just felt like he was forcing alot of emotion on the audience. Emotion that realllly isn't there.

Moving on however, this movie will fail. The reason however is NOT because of the film makers, producers, hollywood, or anything like that. It will fail because of the fans. Nothing, absolutely nothing will compare with the fans imagination.

Oh and one good game to movie (in my opinion) was silent hill. Though to be honest I only got 30 minutes into the first game... What I really loved about the movie though was the siren. Not knowing when the world would turn to shit. That was exhilerating!

Feeling emotion is a personal thing. Certain parts of King Kong warrant an emotional direction. Maybe you had a bad day that day. The movie may or may not fail. It's always a crapshoot when doing something this big. There's a lot of elements that go into making a movie out of something like this. I disagree with the "it will fail becuase of the fans...". LOTR movies didn't fail and in fact exceeded many fans' expectations. So I guess that "nothing" is something. As for the D&D failures, that shows how the right kind of bad elements made the right kind of bad movie. Again.. a crapshoot.

Geta-Ve
06-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Feeling emotion is a personal thing. Certain parts of King Kong warrant an emotional direction. Maybe you had a bad day that day. The movie may or may not fail. It's always a crapshoot when doing something this big. There's a lot of elements that go into making a movie out of something like this. I disagree with the "it will fail becuase of the fans...". LOTR movies didn't fail and in fact exceeded many fans' expectations. So I guess that "nothing" is something. As for the D&D failures, that shows how the right kind of bad elements made the right kind of bad movie. Again.. a crapshoot.

True enough :p However lotr only had peoples imagination to play off of, for the most part. The cartoon doesn't count -_-

WoW has like 5 whole games and many many cinematics to play off of, if they don't get it looking like the cinematics, imo, the fans will be in an uproar! :p

Not to say it isn't possible, because we have seen, thanks to films like lotr and narnia that creating these races are possible.. Taurens from narnia, dwarves from lotr, etc etc..

It will be interesting for sure.

pixelmonk
06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
True enough :p However lotr only had peoples imagination to play off of, for the most part. The cartoon doesn't count -_-

WoW has like 5 whole games and many many cinematics to play off of, if they don't get it looking like the cinematics, imo, the fans will be in an uproar! :p

Not to say it isn't possible, because we have seen, thanks to films like lotr and narnia that creating these races are possible.. Taurens from narnia, dwarves from lotr, etc etc..

It will be interesting for sure.

I kinda liked the cartoon version done in the 70's by Bakshi! :)

I'll probably go see the Warcraft movie without an high expectation level. I equate it to the movies the SCI-FI channel puts out. They may or may not be good... but I'll watch em.

P_T
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Narnia has Tauren? I thought that's a Warcraft thing? :p You mean the minotaur? hehehe just teasing mate don't get worked up ok?

They said there're more than 6 million WoW players. Add the fantasy genre buffs and the general public. Even if only 2/3 of those WoW players go and see the movie, I'd say they can get $60 million from the ticket sales guaranteed.

Add the DVD release and the Special Edition DVD set which the fans will definitely get (my mate has the special WoW box set with artbook and sountrack CD which cost him around AU$400) and you know they'll make money. Unless of course they screwed up big time with the movie then it's a whole different story.

CGTalk Moderation
06-01-2006, 05:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.