PDA

View Full Version : max 5 running on virtual PC?

kiko
01-06-2003, 02:00 PM
Hi,
I'm using max 5 at the office, but I come back home every evening to my mac.

Has anybody succesfuly run max 5 on virtual PC?

I'm not working with millions of polys, just game character animations, so I don't think it's too far fetched to get some usable performance.

No flames please, just helpful advice (as I've always got in this very useful forum)

Cheers

Kiko

twilight
01-06-2003, 08:48 PM
I've successfuly installed 3dsmax 4.2 on a mac with virtual PC (Titanium laptop).
It's a nightmare mate... it's tooooooo slow...

I'm sure 3dsmax 5 will install as well as 4.2 but will run as slowly too, or worst.

Why don't you try some other 3D app?
Lightwave and Cinema 4D run smoothly on a mac and you can benefit from everything you learn in one of them to use in 3dsmax... and even export you models as .3ds

Or you can go for a cheap pc... you can get an AMD for under U$600, although 3dsmax is a bit power hunger.
Better than virtual pc on a max though...

elvis
01-06-2003, 11:02 PM
agreed. 3dsmax is VERY power hungry, and VPC will have a hard time keeping up.

we have a G4 dual 1GHz with 1024MB of ram here in the office, running OSX with VPC running windows 2000. under VPC we assign about 256MB of ram to the virtual OS, and use it for testing mac files under a PC environment. typically these are adobe photoshop and indesign files, or web content. even just in 2D, the performance is very bad. i'd hate to think what max would be like, and on a lower-end mac at that!

consider also that max on a VPC will not take advantage of any 3D hardware accelleration available to the system.

if you can grab a trial copy of VPC, give it a go and benchmark it against your work systems.

otherwise i'd certainly recommend exactly what twilight did above: it might be time to get a cheap PC for your 3D work, or try a package that works under MacOS.

kiko
01-07-2003, 02:38 PM
thanks for your feedback folks, I needed to hear from people with real world VPC experience.

I'm afraid lightwave and other apps for mac are out of the question, since our characters have custom attributes and controllers that just won't come thru in a cross-application workflow.

Seems I'll have to buy a PC, an option I wanted to avoid since space is at a premium at home.

Jumping from 4.2 to 5 rendered our pc's obsolete, max 5 really is a hog, so I know that just any cheap PC will not do.
I've seen pretty nice deals around though (Athlon 2000+, 512 ram, gforce4 ti 4200, 15'' TFT for around 800), I'm hoping this kind of rig will do.

Connectix's site says they're looking into implementing hardware acceleration in future releases.

Or maybe Discreet will be cool and port Max to the mac...:rolleyes:

Thanks

kiko

elvis
01-07-2003, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by kiko

Or maybe Discreet will be cool and port Max to the mac...:rolleyes:

i honestly wish discreet (and autodesk too) would have a serious think about porting their products to other platforms. linux and mac are screaming to be used as platforms for max.

at the end of the day the sad fact is that money makes the world go around, and for all the money and effort they'd have to put into R&D to get these things running on other platforms, how many people would actually buy and use them? it's a bummer, but that's how the world works. :thumbsdow

twilight
01-08-2003, 03:02 AM
I can think of some reasons why discreet won't port 3dsmax to the mac platform:

You'd have to wait for a G6 or G7 mac just to get 3dsmax started

There's no decent warez community for mac. How would discreet distribute it???

Macs are known for their stability (*cough cough*). Would apple be willing to risk their reputation?

OpenGL development is heading diferent ways for apple and discreet: apple is trying to get it working while discreet is trying to forget it.

It's a dangerous thing to do, joining two kinds of fundamentalism.

:)

Gyan
01-08-2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by twilight
I can think of some reasons why discreet won't port 3dsmax to the mac platform:

There's no decent warez community for mac. How would discreet distribute it??? :)

LOL

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.