PDA

View Full Version : Help with cristal material!

Bruna
05-09-2006, 02:09 PM
Hello ppl,
How are you??
I've been working on a model, it's a cristal swan, so far I could only get the reflections to work...well I think they do, but it's not looking like cristal, it looks more like metal. If you guys could help me with some feedback I would really appreciate it!!! The material I used was blinn, color black. I attached an image to the reflected color.
I'm using Maya 7 and rendering with MR.
Tks guys!

rendermaniac
05-09-2006, 04:52 PM
You need to have some refraction. Probably wit a refractive index of about 1.5 ish. Also you will want fresnel falloff on the reflections and the refractions - this will make it look less metallic. If you want a faster approximation use a facing ratio to scale it.

If you want to get fancy then you can add caustics and chromic aberation too.

I haven't used MR for Maya much - I can't remember if you need to bring up the transparency to get refraction working.

Simon

lazzhar
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
I haven't used MR for Maya much - I can't remember if you need to bring up the transparency to get refraction working.

Simon

For sure, to get refrations you will need to move up the transparency slider.
If you are after something like this:
http://www.swisspolice.ch/images/4_sachfdg/ti_elefante.jpg
And some blurry refractions would help a lot it seems.

Bruna
05-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Ok...so I did some of the things you guys told me to do...I pulled the transparency to the maximum, added the chromatic abberation, and the refraction to 1.5. Also I increased the incandescence (dont remember the word exactly) a little. Here's the result. It's not really how I want it to be, it's still too grey...but it's getting there, also I want it to be a polished crystal...If you guys have more comments please do...tks! ;)

Tks for the help!

pixel9
05-10-2006, 09:54 PM
I dunno if you done it already, but maybe, you should add a white background to the scene as well.

I also found another IOR value than 1.5 for a Crystal material. Here's the reference: http://www.creating3d.com/rnd/index.html

Since I don't work with MR, this is just a guess, but I hope, it works.

Bruna
05-12-2006, 04:38 PM
Ok....I think I'm starting to get closer to glass...I added 2 reflector boards and a backdrop. Tell me what you guys think...
Tks!

rendermaniac
05-12-2006, 05:36 PM
It looks very black. It might be worth bringing up the reflection and refractino depths - reflections usually don't matter as much but you want a high refraction depth so you get more bounces - eg 5-6.

Simon

CupOWonton
05-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Looks to me like you have no Falloff to your reflection. If youre on raytrace materials, turn it to Falloff mode, or apply a Falloff gradient set to Freznel to its reflection slot.

Bruna
05-13-2006, 02:41 AM
Hi guys!
Tks for all the help. One thing I wanna ask, I dont know what fresnel is...or where it's located in Maya or the falloff either...if anybody could help ...again...:)sorry if I'm abusing...
Well...I increased the refraction limit, looks a whole lot better! Tks
Besos

Rens
05-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Hi, check out this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=344644

There's a link in it to a tutorial on how to make that in Maya. Then adjust the ramp like I described in that thread, it's more realistic.

Good luck. :)

Bruna
05-14-2006, 02:04 PM
Ok...after everybody's help, this is what came out. Still need to work on the shadows but looks so much better! Thank you for your help!

chuong
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Would you please post you shaders setting ? I like it very much and i'm totally new to mentalray !
Thank.

CGTalk Moderation
05-18-2006, 09:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.