PDA

View Full Version : UVW Map and Particles ?

Adriano-Zanetti
05-09-2006, 08:19 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to apply a uvw map onto a group of particles at a specific state along my particle animation, but all I succeeded to do so far is to project the maping onto them... which makes the particles slide under the map rather than having the UVW Map stick to each particle after and before that specific state. Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish that, preferably in Max with PFlow, but a solution in an other 3D package would also be interresting.

Cheers,

Adriano

PsychoSilence
05-09-2006, 09:07 AM
PFlow with explicit UVW coordinates on each chunk displaying a movie:

http://www.core2core.de/spielwiese/pflow.wmv

cheers

anselm

use a mesher compound object on the particle system, put an UVW-Map on the mesher object, put PFlow into a separat layer and hide it...should work out fine...watch the demo above!

scrimski
05-09-2006, 09:08 AM
Apply a Material Dynamic operator and use a Particle Age map. Either set the material to 'face map' for facing particles, apply a proper UVW mapping/unwrap when using instanced shapes or use a mapping operator in your event.

Adriano-Zanetti
05-09-2006, 01:04 PM
use a mesher compound object on the particle system, put an UVW-Map on the mesher object, put PFlow into a separat layer and hide it...should work out fine...watch the demo above!

Thanks man, but this is exactly what I did before opening the thread, the main issue I have with that is that the UVWmap don't stick to each particle, that's what I meant by "project mapping" cause in the end the mesher+UVWMap just behaves like a projection map, the particles moves but the Mapping just slides over them.

I'll dig more into it, thanks anyway.

Adriano

Adriano-Zanetti
05-09-2006, 01:23 PM
Apply a Material Dynamic operator and use a Particle Age map. Either set the material to 'face map' for facing particles, apply a proper UVW mapping/unwrap when using instanced shapes or use a mapping operator in your event.

Hey man, I'm not too sure I understood what you meant... I don't see where it solves my problem.

Basicly, what I want to achieve is a Airport Billboard effect. Think of a bunch of organized rectangular planes that would all share the same UVWMaps (covering the size of the whole board)... and rather than having departure/arrival text infos displayed on there, I would just use large pictures. When the billboard particle flips the UVWMap assigned to them flip along with it. That's the idea. But so far, as the I just can't find a way to have the UVWMap stick to the particle when they spin/rotate it looks just like the the material is projected onto the billboard rather than really applied/stuck to it cause the material slides onto it. Just like if you're walking in front of a cinema projector. What I would really like to do is to collapse the UVWmap to my particles at a specific state and then behind able to animate them, they would keep the same material information they had at the initial state all along the animation. I hope I'm clear enough this time :)

Cheers,

Adriano

scrimski
05-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Ok, I understand.

I achieved similiar by creating a plane using an planar UVW-mapping, collapsing the stack and exploding the polys to different objectproject. Afterwards I animated them by hand which was OK for the numbers I used but could be too much work for your
project.

If you can access AfterEffects, you could do this with minutes via the Card Wipe effect,
but I got no real idea now how to solve that in Pflow.

joconnell
05-09-2006, 05:01 PM
In pflow tools box 1 there's an operator that does this - you can take coordinates from an object at a reference frame and they will stick to the particles from that point onwards.

Adriano-Zanetti
05-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Ok, I understand.

I achieved similiar by creating a plane using an planar UVW-mapping, collapsing the stack and exploding the polys to different objectproject. Afterwards I animated them by hand which was OK for the numbers I used but could be too much work for your
project.

If you can access AfterEffects, you could do this with minutes via the Card Wipe effect,
but I got no real idea now how to solve that in Pflow.

the amount is indeed just too much to animate manually, about 160 or so... nothing crazy, but just enough to force me to automate the whole thing.

About After effect, I know that Card wipe effect, unfotunately it doesn't offer enough control over the particles... also the billboard exemple I mentionned is not the final effect desired, the concept is just very similar, the idea in the end is to recreate a crowd in a staadium fliping boards and obviously displaying different images one after the other, that's why regular rectangles the card wipe effect allows just won't cut it.

But thanks for your help again!:thumbsup:

In pflow tools box 1 there's an operator that does this - you can take coordinates from an object at a reference frame and they will stick to the particles from that point onwards.

Yes, that's what I thought also, I gave it a try, but unfortunately there also, no luck. What the operator does for me, is it give each particle a color that correspond to the average of colors of the UVW coordinates you specify at the entry of an event or specific state, which is fine if you using a lot of small particles, you cold come close to the desired image you want to map on the particles... but with large particles like I'm using, it is way to obvious that each particle has only one single color applied to it. Is it a bug from the Particle Tool box version I'm using or did I miss an important setting in there ? I can't really say... but it is so far for sure the only tool that came real close to what I'm trying to achieve. I shall dig into it some more.

Please, keep shooting out guys, I'm sure there's gotta be a be a way to solve that one.

cheers,
Adriano

scrimski
05-09-2006, 08:06 PM
You can do so with giving all the particles a different material ID and use a Multi/Sub material, but I got no idea about how to assign the bitmap without fiddling endless hours in the unwrapp or whatever.

joconnell
05-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Only did this with simple teapots and a checker map but it seems to work - What PsychoSilence was doing was correct, the only thing I added was to put a unwrap uvw modifier on top of the mesher with the uvwmap modifier - it'll make the coordinates stick at a specific point. This works fine on a simple scene so hopefully will hold for something bigger like yours.

scrimski
05-11-2006, 06:47 AM
Nice one.

Does it manke a difference at which state(timewise) I apply the unwrap?. I can't acces Max right now, that's why I ask. DO I have to collapse the stack?

joconnell
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Yes it does make a difference about the time since the frame you apply the uv unwrap modifier at will be the frame that the texture will lock from - the uv unwrap will grab the current state of the mesher objects mapping and stick that to it's surface. You don't need to collapse the stack.

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2006, 12:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.