PDA

View Full Version : amazon portrait Wip

Defcombeta
05-09-2006, 02:17 AM
thise peice started from a reject drawing that i did not have the heart to assign to the bin so i started to play with it and see how it would develope free from the normal constrants i place on myself and i think it shaping up nice ,
http://homepage.eircom.net/~defcombeta13/rough3.jpg

still needs a good deal of work etc but the ground work is in

j mac

Defcombeta
05-09-2006, 05:22 AM
well heres where its taken me at the end of the night, start of the dawn ,

http://homepage.eircom.net/~defcombeta13/rough4.jpg

more of the puzzle is there

j mac

aldog
05-09-2006, 05:26 AM
wow those drapes are pretty

BlackLight
05-09-2006, 05:53 PM
I love the character design, pose, composition and everything else about this painting except the colour range. It's being let down by a narrow dynamic range that makes it look grey and washed out. If you're using Photoshop take a look at the image's histogram and you'll see that there is virtually no black and everything else is bunched up around the darker shades. I've taken the liberty of adjusting the curves on your last work in progress image to give better range.

Defcombeta
05-09-2006, 07:19 PM
spot on, i didnt notice at all, curse me for working in the dark, i should have see it but no im to damn pigheaded. my thanks for the wee kick in the arse much needed and alos for taking the time out to show and tell

j mac

stuh505
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
spot on, i didnt notice at all, curse me for working in the dark, i should have see it but no im to damn pigheaded. my thanks for the wee kick in the arse much needed and alos for taking the time out to show and tell

j mac

Haha, yeah I know what you mean man....sometimes you wake up and look at the monitor and she doesn't look anything like the night before.

I once was doing a painting outside and didn't even realize I was using blue because it was so dark but people liked the blue painting later...

The curve adjustment definitely helps.

I don't find the look of this character very attractive...removing the black wart/smear by her lip would help. The sword hand doesn't look right, because she doesn't have her fingers gripped and it's clearly a large heavy sword, and her hand is holding it upside down...so I don't know, unless she is sticking it into something and leaning against it. If that's the case, you should show this more clearly.

The muscles around her arm pit look a bit funky and over-accentuated which flattens it out too much.

The design of the costume overall I don't like, but you obviously do or else you wouldn't have chosen this piece so that's irrelevent..the drawing looks good though.

Defcombeta
05-10-2006, 05:23 AM
anway after much alteration and adjusting the tonal values and in many cases repainting altgether here is the current version. goddamn am i tired right now,

http://homepage.eircom.net/~defcombeta13/rough6.jpg

thanks stuh

the face is only a quick lay down of colour not the finished idea, just place holders so i could works things out, the current version still needs some doing but its closer to what i have in mind. not sure about the gauntlet and the sword, its possible i had the model pose and hold a 3 foot replica for a while no problems, then again the replica is light steel not a full tempered sword,
as to the arm it has been worked over more since i like to work in layers building up like with oils etc

as to painting outsidei yeah one does intend to draw toward the most powerful light source depending on the time of day, in fact its been a while should go out and do it since it summer again..

generador
05-10-2006, 06:23 AM
nice work! in my opinion, the drawing need a little bit more light and then you're ready to go. keep up the good work!

frostblade
05-10-2006, 08:48 AM
I think her butt looks a bit flat in shape and her arm is kinda merging with the background.

stuh505
05-10-2006, 05:05 PM
Can you show the model pose picture?

BlackLight
05-10-2006, 06:41 PM
She's looking really cool now. The only thing that stands out to me is the sword blade. You might want to extend the shading on it a bit more into the dark area, at least along its edges as at the moment it appears to be broken off. Other than that she looks finished to me.

enthombed
05-11-2006, 01:50 AM
Cool style. damnit, i hope make something like this soon.

cya

Defcombeta
05-11-2006, 03:31 AM
thanks entombed, glad you like the piece, its been fun to do

BlackLight

thanks for your help and advice, the sword and the right Couter were not done in that version I left that to last. i also have some touch ups and things to do but your right its all there now

stuh505
no pictures since it was from a private life drawing session i attend at a local insitute.

frostblade
yup worked that out some more and played with the shadows more, good advice thanks for taking the time to Crit.

generador

yes i agree it needed some more spot area of light still i have a tendency to make sure things even if they never were could at least be "technically" historically accurate.

well here is the final version, i will submit it tomorrow to the "other thread" and see how it fairs with the powers that be ;)

http://homepage.eircom.net/~defcombeta13/final%20amazon.jpg

thanks to everyone who took the time out to comment lend advice

J mac

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2006, 03:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.