PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Mentor for Character Animation

FrankHong
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Hello my name is Frank Hong.

I am a highschool student. I've been doing 2D animations for a while, and i have also won a gold metal for Skills Canada Competition the toronto level. But to go into the world of animation, i want to learn how to do 3D.

I need some advice and some help in a project i am currently working on. it would be great to have some one to give me tips and maybe answer some of my questions.

I have basic understanding of MAYA, but i don't know much about character animation and rendering. I have collected a great number of tutorials for most parts of the project. but.. as i have not produced any actual work, I feel that i am going to need all the help i can possibly get to complete this assignment.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, but as i am still a student, there isn't much i can offer. If anyone is interested, Please Please contact me at:

frankhong1057@hotmail.com

It doesn't have to be formal, just like a online mentor. and won't require a lot of your time, as a mentor is mandatory for getting a full mark for this assignment of mine.

Thank you again for your consideration.

stewartjones
05-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Can you not just ask questions on here? I'm sure you would get a lot of replies that way?!?!

FrankHong
05-09-2006, 01:59 PM
I'm sorry, but there really isn't much i can offer for the forums as i am rather new to 3D character.
and i can't really critic other people's work unless i know how they got that and how hard it is to achieve it.

i have been around this forum for a while, it's not just that i bumped out of nowhere and now asking for a mentor.. but now i don't really have a choice

i have passion for animation like alot of u people. the only thing i'm hungry about is skills towards my interest. i have known quite a few of artists who post here alot and i totally admire their works, you know, sometimes i just wish that i can be like them one day.

i post this topic because the project i'm currently working on really requires a mentor, and i would strongly appriciate any help that is avalible.

sorry for the inconvinence, i wasn't sure where can i post the request..

ratatat
05-15-2006, 05:33 PM
recent grad from vancouver film school... don't mind helping you through some of your questions. working with maya for 3 years and certified in the program. i've added you to msn messanger if you have it. cheers. josh

virtualmesh
05-15-2006, 06:20 PM
I was in a similar situation as you - no real-work skill levels but loves to do animation.

So I went to the Art Institute of Toronto at night school to learn how to use 3d software (3dsmax was taught at the AI school) and from there, I then purchased a lot of video tutorials from various sellers online; read books, etc...have you checked out the gnome Maya dvd series or the 3dbuzz Maya courses ?

The advantage to attending a night school is that you can purchase the 3D software at a reduced price (educational license) and in the future if you wanted to upgrade to commercial license, the remaining cost to do so is less than it would be to purchase the commerical license from the get go.

FrankHong
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Thanks alot ratatat! really appriciate it.
right now i have a simple character model in maya, and i have just finished rigging it.
ofcourse.. basic bone structure. and i havn't learned much about the smooth bind, so i used the rigit bind instead. although the rigging wasn't that good, i still want to continue with it, and start the next step. i have seen some of other people's animations where they have a sort of plain white and clean render with soft shadow, and without textures. i would really like to try that but i don't know how.
can you point me some directions if u have time please?
and i would love to talk on msn if that isn't too much trouble for you.
thanks

hey virtualmesh:

Art Institute of Toronto? sounds pretty good. i'll probably go check it out after my exams. and i'm a big fan of collecting video tutorials too, i havn't got much of the gnomon series, infact i only have two them and i found it quite difficult. But i have a lot from the DigitalTutors maya series, and i'm pretty much learning from that.
are you learning two programs at once? i heard if u know both programs they u can be more flexable with the project. but i'm not that far yet. i started learning 3D with 3ds max before i shifted to maya soon after, and i somehow find it easier to learn than maya. and i actually made a few things with it, but i've been struggling with maya for quite a while and it's kinda hard to get around.
Goodluck to both of us.. ha

Thank you
Frank Hong

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 12:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.