PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring weights(Maya)

Eldwick
05-08-2006, 01:52 AM
I am having insane trouble trying to mirror weights form one side to the other. I have made and rigged a character and have painted the left side and want the right to be the same but when I try to mirror it the entire body gets messed up, I know there is probably an easy solotion. Please help!

stewartjones
05-08-2006, 10:51 AM
Have u tried changing the mirror across axis?!?!

Leionaaad
05-15-2006, 12:22 PM
The weighting information is stored in the UV's. So if you have a good UV layout (Good == centered in the UV space, perfectly mirrored and without overlaping faces) your mirroring will go well. Keep in mind that the UV layout should be done before the actual skinning.
If you have multiple UV sets, the weights will be stored in the selected UVset (or the first one, I am not entirely sure about this one)

LiquidStorm3D
05-16-2006, 07:46 AM
Like vyntax said, check the options for the mirror weights tool. the axis that you want to mirror are the ones that you're not working with, so if your character weights are in X and u want to mirror to -X, you would choose YZ as your mirror plane.

NolanSW
05-16-2006, 03:36 PM
This is from Maya's docs.

Mirroring is UV independent and is position based. It's acutally similar to copy skin weights in that it will interpolate the wieghting with dissimilar meshes. This is what is happening to you. Factors that will screw this process up: skeleton is not centered, mesh is not centered, mesh is not symeterical, wrong axis that is being flipped (plane YZ) and you are using the X+ to X- option. If you stick to weighting the X+ side then you will be using YZ with X+ to X- option. Also make sure your character is facing Z+. In your front camera, the character should be facing you.

If it's still not working, try a simple object to make sure it's not a bug.

-Sean

Mirroring smooth skin weights

You can mirror smooth skin weights, either from one smooth skin object to another, or within the same smooth skin object. You can also mirror skin weights on selected components of the skin.

Mirroring smooth skin weights greatly speeds up the process of editing and fine-tuning skin deformation effects. For example, you could perfect the smooth skin weighting for a character's right shoulder area and then simply mirror the weighting to the character's left shoulder.

Maya mirrors weights across planes defined by Maya's global workspace axis. For mirroring to work properly, the skin objects (or character) should be centered on the global axis, or at least aligned along the axes you want to mirror about. Also, the skinned geometry (including its skeleton) should be in a pose that is symmetrical across the mirror-plane.

twedzel
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Yeah mirroring is not UV dependant. It will screw up when objects share simular positions in space. If joints are positioned directly over each other or verts snapped to each other. Otherwise it is fairly stable.

It will work best on a symetrical mesh and be more prone to failure the more unsemetrical your mesh is. You can use via components Ie select vertices and mirror their wieghts if you have areas that you know will fail to give adequate results.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.