PDA

View Full Version : inspiring books

lions
01-05-2003, 11:30 PM
Hi,I've wondering if you people know any good lighting books,not just the typical ones,3d and cinematography ones,but more art oriented ones,like painting or photographing books with good pictures and good explanations of each painting.
Thanks!! I just need more inspiration for my renders!!

thesaint
01-06-2003, 04:45 AM
Ok, here are some of my fav's that might help you. It is really nice to see someone looking to learn about this from an art perspective as well as a practical one. Too many today lean on GI and HDRI to achieve the same "boring" results.

List as follows:

The Aardman book of Animation -- A section on lighting in there by the guys that brought us Wallace and Grommit and Chicken Run. Very inspiring book in general.

Advanced Renderman -- I don't own this but i know some of the people that contributed to its lighting section, and they are all top notch, so i suspect that it would be a 'must read'.

Digital Lighting and Rendering -- Great book, great principles. The web site for it is here:
http://www.3drender.com/light/ and it contains some great tutorials for you to read while your copy is in the post from Amazon.

I know there have been several SIGGRAPH lectures on the topis, so you might want to check out their web site for published papers.

If i think of any more i will put them up here. I guess a $120 of books should be enough to get you going!

lions
01-06-2003, 11:59 AM
thanks for your help! what about more art oriented books?
some XVIII and XIX century´s paintings are great inspiration but I'd like to know more.
Good turner or constable books anyone?
thanks

thesaint
01-06-2003, 04:06 PM
Here is list # two!

The World of Van Gough -- Time Life
Rembrandt -- castle books
British Landscape Painting in the 19th Century -- McCall
The American Scene in the 20th Century -- McCall

These all have excellent sections on how the artists handled light and composition and where they got thier inspiration from. Always nice if you want to know where do draw your own inspiration from.
Also you might try:

The High Sierras,
The Grand Canyon,
The North Woods,
and some other photographic/ painting compilations of the wilderness, cities and so on, (these are put out by Time Life, but i picked them up at a thrift store for $2). These all help you understand how light works, even though there is little direct mention of it.

I could go on and on with this subject, my library contains probably 60 books on the fine artists alone, with about 20 on landscape photography and, well, lets leave it there...

Try the local library too. Find a book you really like and buy it.

fig
01-07-2003, 03:16 PM
i'll second the digital lighting and rendering book, GREAT explanations and non-software specific. really good stuff...

chris

schmu_20mol
01-09-2003, 02:49 AM
if you really wanna know something about lighting...as said above...get that Jeremy Birn 'Digital Rendering and Lighting'....that's a sure investion...trust me ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.