PDA

View Full Version : scale a fullbody ik?

krolichka
05-07-2006, 09:15 PM
lets say you have a character with FULLBODY IK. How can you scale your character down? Now, if i pick the group HumanIK1 in the outliner and scale it down the whole character scale down, all the effectors and all the joints and also the mesh. Thats fine, but if i then save my scene and try to open it up, all my mesh screws up. Its all a mess. How am i supposed to do?

Krolichka

Emil3d
05-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Iím still used to the regular way of rigging, and donít have much experience with FBIK, it is something new introduced in Maya 7, but after you asked me in the other thread, this morning I had some time and checked your problem with a simple scene.

First, I imported and tried to scale the FBIK example from the Visor, but it left leg bended, its controls poped out of place after the scale, and undo wouldnít work.

Second, I deleted humanIK node which also cleared fbikCharacter so that I was left with and can use only the properly labeled skeleton from the example. Then I applied Add Full Body IK to it, in the outliner I selected both: the humanIK and the skeleton groups, and scaled them together. There was no problems with the left leg, undo, and after save/open the file.

Let me know if this fixes your problem.

krolichka
05-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi again!

I have tried what you said, i deleted the humanik node, then took the root of the joint and applied fullbody ik. Then took the new humanik node, and the root of the joint and scaled it down, but the same thing happens to the mesh, not to the joints, they look great.
Did you apply your fullbody ik from the visor to a mesh or did you just try to scale the joint?
Try to apply it to a mesh and then scale it down, it looks good when you scale it, and you can animate it, but as soon as you save the file and open it up again, the mesh is messed up.
An alternative would be, scale it down, then animate it, render it out and after a couple of weeks when you are done, you save the file, and then you cant go back..this is so strange..

krolichka

Emil3d
05-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Yes I did bind it to a character. I just tried it again and wrote down the steps

In a scene with a character, import the bipedExampl.ma from the Visor.
Delete humanIK
Scale the character to mach the skeleton
Smooth bind it to the selected root joint. (labeled hips on the biped example)
Apply Full Body IK
In the Outliner select the humanIK and the JackieSkeleton group (NOT the root joint as you said)
Scale down
Save
I also tried several down/up scales and save/open and never had the problem. The important thing is when scaling the whole thing always select the humanIK and the group of joints which in our case is the JackieSkeleton not just the root joint. I tried with the root joint only but it doesnít scale proportionally

And I noticed another important thing - if the scale goes over to a negative value, this immediately explodes the geometry and undo wonít work

If you want I can send you my file with a simple character

krolichka
05-08-2006, 07:13 PM
MAAAAAN, it works..!! yihaaa! group the joints..how could i miss that..?! noooow, this is great, i thought i had to start all over again with binding, and make controls and all that..thought that fullbody ik was crap because of this...but now, i really love it. Actually, fullbody ik is the thing, its so nice to animate with it, i really prefer to pin the effectors and animate that way..thanks again Emil..you are really the man..! :)

krolichka

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2006, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.