PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Character for Furwoods animation


Joat
05-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Hello all,
After a long break in 3d I have managed to steal some time to continue my Furwoods project (Some of you might remember the railwaystation wip posted here looong ago).
http://www.pennimedia.fi/cgtalk/mika_wip.jpg
This is the first of the main characters I'm modelling. He is a troll (or goblin or whatever) boy, who is trying to dress and act a little more civilized than members of his race normally do. He will be clothed, fully rigged, given a tail, refined, textured and almost whatever you can imagine before I can call him finished. At this point, the head, body, and hands are all still separate elements. I join them when I'm happy with the body and hands.
I'm thinking of using softbodies for his hair so it wiggles just a little bit when he moves (he uses gel to get it "organized). Also, the rest of the hair will be done the same way as the parts on the forehead.
For clothes he will have a shirt with collar, a tie and pants of some kind. The appearance should be like he has been desperately trying to achieve a stylish look, but managed to do so only to the extent you can assume is possible for a troll.
I don't think he will be getting the shoes.
C&C warmly welcomed.

tmr232
05-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Good to see you here again...
This character looks great, I really like it. No crits.

Joat
05-10-2006, 11:42 AM
It is my first humanlike character, and more importantly a first character I'm intending to really animate. I took the "better face" -tutorial's teachings and applied them for this. It is based on my own sketching and further worked on blender to get the appearance I'm after.
Since I have a deadline to meet with my daytime job, I can't work with this until sometime next week (hopefully), but to keep the thread alive and perhaps gain some chritiques I post wires now.
I cladly hear some feedback if anyone has any, expecially if there's something in the topology that's likely to cause problems when rigging or animating. There is 2 triangles in the bodymesh I'm aware of, otherwice it should be all quads.
The intention has been from the start to keep the polyflow as clean as possible, but as said before, I'm pretty new with this area, so if you think it can be improved, feel free to tell me how.
Heres the wires, first front:
http://www.pennimedia.fi/cgtalk/mika_wire_front.jpg
Then Back:
http://www.pennimedia.fi/cgtalk/mika_wire_back.jpg
Then details of hand and feet:
http://www.pennimedia.fi/cgtalk/mika_wire_detail.jpg
All comments are most welcome, expecially constructive ones.

TroutMaskReplica
05-10-2006, 05:16 PM
seems to be ok except for where the thumb joins up to the hand - that area looks a bit strange, and the back of the hand itself is too flat.

also the ears needs some interior definition.

hope this helps.

paintbox
05-20-2006, 08:24 AM
also the ears needs some interior definition.

I was thinking the exact same thing, the ears look just a tad bit "stuck on" if you know what I mean.

But really good design and modelling, looks like a very efficient model to animate :)

Joat
10-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Since I have had a lot to do lately, I haven't got the time to work on this. Today I did. This is the result. Nothing permanent, nothing final. But I managed to get hold of UV-mapping and designed new eyes (which I have to redo, since irises are too big.. Well, they're going to be brown and black anyway) that in my opinion work even better than those "pixar" eyes they are based on.
http://www.pennimedia.fi/cgtalk/mika_update_skin_fur.jpgComments and chrits are welcome. I hope I can continue with this soon.

CGTalk Moderation
10-09-2006, 12:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.