PDA

View Full Version : Dual displays w/ nView

earl
01-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I'm having a bit of trouble with a dual display setup. I have all the basics setup, and everything seemed to be working well, however -- a few problems I've found:

- Running 3dsmax5 with hardware rendering causes all viewports to be transparent to desktop, when 3dsmax is moved to monitor 2.

- When rotating perspective viewport or panning, the cursor sometimes jumps to monitor 1, even though the cursor on monitor 2 isn't close to the border.

- My tablet is now cut in half - it's reading both monitors as the whole desktop, so if I have a fullscreen painting on monitor 1, I'm only using half the tablet!

Should I be running seperate desktops?
My main reason for dual displays is to have fullscreen in photoshop, and also to have 3dsmax on the smaller screen to see immediate texturing updates while I'm working in photoshop.

nose
01-05-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by earl
I'm having a bit of trouble with a dual display setup. I have all the basics setup, and everything seemed to be working well, however -- a few problems I've found:

... cut....

- My tablet is now cut in half - it's reading both monitors as the whole desktop, so if I have a fullscreen painting on monitor 1, I'm only using half the tablet!

I assume you're using a Wacom tablet. You can change the settings of your tablet in the Control Panel and choose which of both monitors to use for your tablet. Doesn't always work even smoothly, so just test around with the settings. You can also set a custom selection on your screen to use if selecting a screen doesn't work properly. It didn't here so I had to specify a selection for the tablet to use. Just 1280x1024 on screen 1 and it works perfect here for me.

dvornik
01-06-2003, 12:37 AM
You really need to mention your OS and detonator version. As far as I know Dualview (separate screens - that's what you appear to be using) only supports OGL on the second monitor in max 5 in the latest detonators (40.xx). You may need to enable "Multi-Display Hardware Acceleration" in detonator OGL rollout.

Wacom mapping problem can be easily fixed through the wacom control panel mapping tab - take some time to get familiar with it cause it's confusing. Or use "mouse mode" like I do.

In my experience multititasking with wacom across 2 monitors is very problematic (at least in win2k) and I blame their drivers. If you use different wacom mappings for different applications it gets worse - cursor jumps like crazy.

By the way what do you use to see photoshop updates in max?

earl
01-06-2003, 05:05 AM
Thanks for the info, guys.

I'm running WinXP Pro with the 41.09 detonator drivers.

I figured out the Wacom problem - I just specified the mapping for Photoshop should only be on monitor 1. It's a bit of a pain when I have all my toolbars on monitor 2, but at least I get full use of the tablet area.

The cursor does jump around when I need to use the mouse, but I can live with it, Photoshop is the only app I use the tablet with.

Dvornik, 3dsmax5 was made to work closely with Photoshop. You can map PSD textures to objects if you want, and everytime you save a texture that is mapped to objects in your current scene, the ActiveShade window will automatically render again with the new texture files.

The viewports don't always update instantly, sometimes you just have to click on the viewport, or hit the redraw key (`) and it will update from the new image files.

I'll take a look at the multi-display hardware acceleration settings, hopefully that will work. Otherwise, software rendering works fine, because I don't have to do a lot of manipulation while I'm texturing.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.