PDA

View Full Version : Randomly turning on lights --

Famsta
05-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I'm doing a small logo animation, with one version of the logo with a small light that lights up behind it. And I want to have many, many copies of the same logo, all with lights randomly turning on as the camera zooms out.

How exactly could I write an expression for the lights? Could I use like Light001, Light002, etc etc, generate random frames for the intensity to come up? I would preferrably like to have the lower numbers come on first, which will be made in the center, and then spread out from there.

Thanks in advance

Stucky
05-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Imagine if you want the light to have a random intensity between 0 and 5 through time. create this expression:

spotLightShape1.intensity = rand(0 , 5);

Is this what you are looking for?

-S

Famsta
05-06-2006, 01:49 AM
Ok, that's a start. But that will just change their light intensity randomly. What i would like to do is randomly designate a time to maybe play a short animation curve of the intensity.

So they will all remain off, until their time is randomly determined, then slowly turn on, and stay on.

I think I have a pretty good idea of a way to get them to randomly determined to be turned on. Now I think the problem I'm having is, if I make an animation of how I want the intensity to be turned on, how do I tell it to play that curve?

Sanctuary
05-06-2006, 03:05 PM
write an expression in which you use a linstep/smoothstep function to control the intensity

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2006, 03:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.