PDA

View Full Version : how to animate depth of field?

Tommi
01-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Hi there!

I've got troubles in animating DOF. I just want to have the blur travelling from the foregorund to the background. The only result I get is a switch from one state to another without any visible steps in between. (I'm using RLA with depth channel)
By the way, I have to use very small values for blurring a particular part of the image, maybe because the object I rendered (with Lightwave) isn't very tall (about 1 meter), so the distance range is very tight.
Does anybode have an idea?

Thanks in advance!

Tommi

Ian Jones
01-06-2003, 11:00 AM
For a not so accurate, but still impressive result, just simply fade from one depth to another. So you need two pictures, place your first on the top layer animate its opacity to 0. You can do this in Flash for some useful blur and focus effects.

Tommi
01-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Mhm... I wonder what the key function of the DOF plugin is for...

fred
01-06-2003, 05:15 PM
thinking about the tight distance range you talked about iīd guess the problem with this is that your depth matte isnīt soft enough. try rendering out a seperate depth matte and see if it consists of separated greys or if there are gradients. if you have only a few values in this matte afxīs dof will treat the objects like flat layers that donīt come into focus softly, theyīll pop in and out of focus (thatīs your problem i guess?).
try changing your lens length to a more wider angle maybe (although this will affect other things too - also the expected dof, but just donīt care about this one iīd say, just go to an amount you want).
maybe this helps?

Tommi
01-06-2003, 08:35 PM
Actually I made one object - it's a desktop lamp (that simple :D) shown from above... It's too strange, that I can blur a specific area manually, but the animation looks very odd. I will give it a try by increasing the object's size (but I'm not happy with that solution, sniff...)

Thanks though:)

Tommi

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.