PDA

View Full Version : CARTOON NETWORK open call for INDIE animators

RobertoOrtiz
05-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Quote:
" It’s also starting to make some interesting moves on the origination end of the game. Enter Evan Fleischer, an admitted cartoon junky who wishes he was related to the legendary brothers that gave us Koko The Clown, Betty Boop, Popeye and the first Superman shots.

“Frequently I put together marketing campaigns and promotional ventures that have a tie-in to programming,” said Fleischer, who’s IFC’s Director of Marketing & Promotions. “As a marketer, the things I like doing the best are things that are new, cutting edge and garner attention to our channel. That said, I’ve put together several different programs that have reverberations in programming. For instance, I started Machinima.

“Machinima, simply put, is using video games to create independent films. You can see it at its web site, www.machinima.com (http://www.machinima.com/). What’s happening is the 3-D rendering of X-Box and Playstation has become so advanced, it can sometimes rival what Pixar can do. Some people are now taking these games and essentially puppeteering characters within the game. Then they record it, overdub their own voices and then put it out as their own movie. Other networks are now latching on to this idea but what’s interesting to me is doing this is really independent filmmaking at its most pure. These are people who don’t have the resources to make films with giant camera crews, Hollywood actors and the like. They are basically working in their basements making films that express their point of view. Some were so good I’ve actually commissioned and run six of the Machinima shorts on the network.”

But now Fleischer is taking things to the next level. He’s showrunning a new project called MediaLab that could be the next serious web site for all those looking for exposure.

“We started MediaLab five months ago,” says Fleischer. “MediaLab is an online destination for short filmmakers. People can post their short films, look at them and we will put the ones that get the most positive reaction on IFC. We look at the top ranked films that have at least 200 votes. We usually take five, which we air interstitially in blocks throughout the day. We also don’t take anything twice, so if you won last month, the same thing won’t run again this month.
"

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69341

-R

CaptRuss
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Since Cartoon Network has replaced "cartoons" with live action movies and "Saved by the Bell" (gag) they're moving their support of animation to the web? How long till they replace that with streaming video of "Whose the Boss" and "The Facts of Life"? :)

gunslingerblack
05-05-2006, 04:22 PM
why produce original content on tv when you can buy old saved by the bell eps for pennies and sell the ad slots for the same amount of money?

(feel my sarcasm!)

FunkyCowie
05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
'What’s happening is the 3-D rendering of X-Box and Playstation has become so advanced, it can sometimes rival what Pixar can do.'

That made me laugh... thats the epitimy of the 'Software and computer/consoles do all the work' misconception.

I like the idea however :)

dalmanna
05-05-2006, 05:21 PM
?

(feel my sarcasm!)

it burns! it burns! i'm melting...... what a world!!!

SheepFactory
05-05-2006, 06:04 PM
'What’s happening is the 3-D rendering of X-Box and Playstation has become so advanced, it can sometimes rival what Pixar can do.'

That made me laugh... thats the epitimy of the 'Software and computer/consoles do all the work' misconception.

I like the idea however :)

Yea the machinima filmmakers are deluded like that. I went to a panel here and they claimed rendering will be obsolete in no longer than 3 years (that was in 2005) because game engines can do everything and more. I had my free snacks and left :)

bluemagicuk
05-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Speaking of machima, it reminds me of red vs blue machima so funny i was in stitches .

http://rvb.roosterteeth.com/archive/

Bunch of tragics that lot, but some of the episodes are pure comedy :P

Xevious
05-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I am finishing up with a short film so this is interesting to me. Thanks for the post!!

Flog
05-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Be careful when submitting anything to these big compaines. I love Cartoon Network, but usually when you submit anything to them, it becomes their property and they can use it anyone they want to.

bluemagicuk
05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey flog .. hows the short film work going for you these days. ?

If anyone wants to retain copyright post yourself a letter via registered post with your ideas/cd's and dont open it :)

Last night my friend was telling me about this one time his team did a month of hard graft/location filming and editing to present an idea to a publishing company for a short film here in Bristol and the company just stole their ideas and did it themselves. First time I heard about this crap from a friend but I know it does happen a lot.

blipper
05-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Be careful when submitting anything to these big compaines. I love Cartoon Network, but usually when you submit anything to them, it becomes their property and they can use it anyone they want to.

This is definitely quite troubling. Is it really that common a practice? I was taken aback not long ago when a "funky" clothing company had a competion for short films/animation. I was going to submit an entry but it was only upon scrutinising the small print I realised that just by entering their competition I was handing over all rights to my animation, whether I won or not.

Really makes you think hard about where you submit work too, and I'm not wholly convinced by the "mail-yourself-your-work" method to ensure rights of ownership, though realise going a more legal route can be prohibitively expensive.

mech7
05-06-2006, 12:08 PM
xbox and ps2 compared to pixar quality ? :shrug:

hellgatemedia
05-06-2006, 02:18 PM
The copyright by mail method isn't 100% effective, i've heard pros and cons about it.

ArtisticVisions
05-06-2006, 03:16 PM
It's not Cartoon Network who's looking for independent animated works - it's IFC, the Independent Film Channel. (the "Cartoon Network" part was just talking about their Toonami Jetstream online service)

Here's the link to IFC's MediaLab website: http://medialab.ifc.com/

bluemagicuk
05-06-2006, 03:32 PM
The copyright by mail method isn't 100% effective, i've heard pros and cons about it.
Yup it is complicated and it depends on what you are doing to secure a job or a client, the best thing to do is get a written contract in place before you do anything. I think problems occur when people get desperate for some work and dont think.

Flog
05-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Hey Blue Magic,

It's going. THis coming month should see some major updates and some work speed ups.

Keep your eyes open. :)

Cartoon Network or the Indie film be careful about the fine print. Alot of times they will own exclusive distribution rights and some rights to your film you may not want them to have. Just make sure they are not exclusive

Xevious
05-08-2006, 05:34 PM

I heard that too. You should do the research. There are a lot of books out there that has legal advice for filmmakers. Yeah its not the most interesting reading that you will do but its still good to know these things.

Xevious
05-08-2006, 05:44 PM
Here is the fine print from the FAQ page

We've outlined the some of the key rights and clearances below. However, be sure to rad the complete Terms and Conditions (http://medialab.ifc.com/pages/_terms.html) for all the specifics.
Rights

You are the sole owner or have exclusive rights to the film
You grant IFC non-exclusive, royalty-free right to use your film in any and all media
Clearances

You have paid all applicable copyright, contractual and participation payments
You have not granted exclusive rights to any other entity
You have obtained written consent from every person in the film
Your film is an original work of fiction or you have obtained the consent of the original author / owner of the material
Your film contains original music or you have obtained the appropriate rights from the original songwriter / owner of the material
-----------------------------------------------------
The thing is- I am also considering other websites too like Youtube, Atomfilms, etc. I would think those websites would have wider distribution because more people log in to those sites. I could be wrong though.

EvilGnome
05-09-2006, 03:08 AM
"Some were so good I’ve actually commissioned and run six of the Machinima shorts on the network.”

I wonder how copyright will work when you want to broadcast work created using specific game assets?

It could get very tangly if the publishers aren't happy with the use of their game.

Of course it could work the other way, they might be happy for the publicity.

psyop63b
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
I've seen this kind of "filmmaking" on G4 during some of their programs (X-Play, Cinematech I believe) and have to say that it seems to just be one big inside joke. A lot of WoW footage in there. Maybe I'm not gamer enough to understand most of the humor, but overall I don't see it as being very clever.

I've also seen some shorts on G4 that literally look like a bunch of guys screwing around one afternoon with a camcorder. I think one was a bunch of LARP'ers going to Gphoria or something... then they wind up at the foot of Mt. Doom??? Huh?

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2006, 02:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.