PDA

View Full Version : Renderable curves?

Mic_Ma
05-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Can I make curves renderable on XSI? Like in Max?

mr-doOo
05-05-2006, 12:39 PM
no, it is not...

visualboo
05-05-2006, 02:17 PM
It definitely would be nice. Max has lots of little things like that, that really make life "quick".

ThE_JacO
05-05-2006, 02:24 PM
it's not there, but itwould be just a matter of implementing it.

A lot of rendering engines (including MRay and all the highend renderman engines like PRMan and 3Delight) have particular primitives to deal with curves rendering, like ricurves in RMan and MI_Hair in MRay.
XSI already deals very well with MRay curves, as you can see anytime you render hair in it, but there's no connection between curves in the scene that aren't hair and MRay.

If you need it really badly (and we did here, but we're using renderman so the interface isn't XSI's anyway) you should submit a request and make it clear you think it's an important feature.

For what obscure reason to me unknown, except for max, no application with a MRay bridge supports curve primitives, Maya, XSI and HDN's MRay connections all don't expose curves other then hair to MRay.

as it is now, there's no simpler way of rendering curves then writing a shader that also has a blob/userdata on XSI's side, then get curves data into a dummy object that will then have to handle it to MRay with a geometry shader; and that's not simple by most people's standards.

Bullit
05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Just to point out that curve rendering predates MR implementation in Max. I even dont remember Max without it. So they were "forced" to implement MR connetion when they recently embeded it.

cpan
05-05-2006, 08:37 PM
Even tho there isn't a 'curve shader' builtin, one trick i use is to extrude a small circle along all the curves to make it geometry. Not very good way but it works ok. Also another way would be attaching one single hair to the curve, much more effiecient in my opinion :)

Oh and as a third way (the best in my optinion) is to use a hardware renderer (if the software has) to render the curves and then make the composition in post or directly in the software. And if it doesn't have a HW renderer then, for still images, you could just change the viewport color and the shading of all the geometry to solid white and then hit print screen lol :D

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2006, 08:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.