PDA

View Full Version : Jagged brush stroke problem in photoshop

saiko
05-05-2006, 10:21 AM
When i try to make brush strokes in photoshop it gives jagged / kinked lines...at the starting i was thinking it was hapening because of my tablet ( Wacom Intuos 2 6X8)...but then i tried it with other painting programs except gimp in every program it was really nice and smooth (only opencanvas gives tiny kinks if noticed properly) as my screenshots below...

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/2972/brushresponsive9jo.jpg

(i have also noticed that (rarely) sometime photoshop is little better and had less kinks after restarting)

this means it's not because of the tablet i believe.

has anyone noticed similar problems in photoshop...
is it possible to fix using some settings?

regards,
saiko

Preilly
05-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Did you turn on your SMOOTHING setting o n PS??

Select a brush in PS, then click on the WINDOWS bar on top. Then go to BRUSHES and turn on the SMOOTHING function.

See if that helps.

JosephGoss
05-07-2006, 01:53 PM
painter has damping , makes your lines smooth

search painter help for damping, its somewhere

i don't think photoshop has any damping settings

, anyway, thats why my lines are smooth in painter

and your doing much better than me with photoshop,
all my lines are straight, every one, even with lasso tools

can't do smooth strokes at all, tried smoothing and everything
i think it all has something to do with the fact that maybe photoshop is slow
at computing strokes, and thats why they go werid,

>joe

saiko
05-08-2006, 05:16 AM
smoothing doesn't help it seems! :(

eishiya
05-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Smoothing works fine for me (Thanks Preilly). If it doesn't work, it could be your computer (perhaps low RAM). You can never have too much RAM with a program like Photoshop. After 6 they seemed to have improved that (at least from my experience), but I doubt the program will ever fully displace its greedy nature.

Before I found out about this wonderful Smoothing option (a few years before this, I feel rather silly), I just dealt with it by sketching with slower strokes. Really, for me it was only a problem in sketching, since in coloring I'd ever up overlapping everything so much that each jagged part would just be covered up by other jagged lines and all of them are invisible in the end.

saiko
05-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Smoothing works fine for me (Thanks Preilly). If it doesn't work, it could be your computer (perhaps low RAM). You can never have too much RAM with a program like Photoshop. After 6 they seemed to have improved that (at least from my experience), but I doubt the program will ever fully displace its greedy nature.

Before I found out about this wonderful Smoothing option (a few years before this, I feel rather silly), I just dealt with it by sketching with slower strokes. Really, for me it was only a problem in sketching, since in coloring I'd ever up overlapping everything so much that each jagged part would just be covered up by other jagged lines and all of them are invisible in the end.

Thanks for your reply Eishiya :), but i'm still confused if it's only about memory, i have two CPU's, one with 3GHz HT P4 with 1gb of DDR400 ram and other one is AMD 64bit 3000 with 1gb ram, in both the problem remains same.

in colouring it does not create that much of a problem as you also explained, but this is a pain in case of line drawings. as i'm an industrial designer, sometimes i need to keep the line drawing without colouring it for some presentation.

Beside this another problem is this kind of line quality make the user inconfident that he/she can't draw proper line strokes!

Collember
05-09-2006, 07:29 AM
With my experience in printing, when there is aproblem you come across, the best way of fixing it is one step at a time.

With this you know that you are using ur tablet with some software where it works, and some where it doesnt.

You have done the frist step which is test on other packages.

Next would be to not use the tablet, and use your mouse. It could be a hardware problem specific to the software showing the problem.

If it still does it, then it could be one of two things - Your input device has problems with the software, or the software is faulty.

Would be a good idea to reinstall PS, as i have found sometimes placing in some gfx have screwed up PS - dont know why.

It can also be your v/card, since it is obviously a graphics issue.

Updating your software, and systematically stepping thru the problem with your hardware/software is the only way you are going to be able to single out this problem.

Usually since there has been no easy fix said by anyone, and smoothing hasnt fixed it, then this is a rare fault, and you are going to have to work it out thru process.

Hope i helped.

davidsk
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
I know it's a long time ago since this was posted, but I just had the same problem after formatting my system. So for anyone experiencing this:

I just got the newest drivers from Wacom.com, installed these with my tablet plugged in, and got just jagged lines in Photoshop - brush smoothing or not. Solved by uninstalling the tablet drivers and reinstalling - this time using the original driver CD.

And now all my linework is smoother than a baby's ass. :bounce:

CGTalk Moderation
10-29-2006, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.