PDA

View Full Version : What is Rigging????

aqua9
05-05-2006, 10:03 AM
Iam sorry if my question sounds weird............. but as im a newbie i want to know few things

So Please help me out guys............ or just give me a link where can i get the details for my question " WHAT IS RIGGING??????? "

P.S: Mods if feel like this kinda threads should not be there in the forum then u can delete the thread once if u find that a i got the answer for my question

also MODS can delete my previous thread which is about the OT in the title here is the link for that thread
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=353993

M.E.L.
05-05-2006, 10:17 AM
Rigging is the setup of a character or object via bones(joints) or other manners.

There is a sub forum on here for Character Rigging which I'm sure you'll find all sorts of topics and discussions on Rigging. You can also check out places like www.creaturetd.com for a ton of information and discussions regarding rigging.

-s

LadyMedusa
05-05-2006, 10:19 AM
MEL beat me to it :)
And his description was far better too

Zack Attack
05-08-2006, 06:14 AM
Its the only part of the animation progress that some people don't consider fun.

Bonedaddy
05-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Its the only part of the animation progress that some people don't consider fun.

Personally, I hate ALL parts of the animation process. Rigging is the -most- enjoyable part.

ThE_JacO
05-08-2006, 06:44 AM

nah, it's simply that part of animation that, to be enjoyed, requires having a clue about the process ;p

Leionaaad
05-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Rigging is the setup of a character or object via bones(joints) or other manners.

Something like that, I would like to add:
Rigging is for animation, not for a character, so basically everything wich is animated needs a rig, even if it's a simple object. you need a setup for character-object interaction, in example.

Think about rigging as the strings attached to a puppet: basically the rigger makes the connection between the character and the animator.

Slurry
05-08-2006, 02:18 PM
Everyone has pretty much explained it but I'll throw in my little definition.

Rigging is creating the controls that allow an animator to manipulate the character or object for animation.

Applying bones/joints to a model is called skinning. Adding the controls (ik, blendshapes, set driven keys, ik/fk swithers, constraints, handles, etc) to the bones/joints is what rigging is all about.
A good rig makes animation a heck of a lot easier. It can be very rewarding when you make a good rig and you see the results. Just like modelling and animation, texturing and lighting. When you see the result of your hard work, it's fun!

Art

virtualmesh
05-09-2006, 02:58 PM
As a hobbiest, this is what I believe rigging to be:

Rigging is the skill of providing a user with an abstract layer between the complexity of how the 3D software interacts with the computer - and the animator who animates the scene. Animation is defined by visually changing the values that are held within a 3D scene over a period of time and/or frames.

In the end, it's all based on how the 3D program retains the values that are presented visually after the rendered frame. A good rig attempts to make the animation process more efficient. If the animation process becomes less efficient through a rig then the rig is not good.

eek
05-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok,

Rigging actually is a huge subject and encompasses alot of areas - from setup to dynamics, skin, particle stuff. It can be to do with vehicles, characters, aliens, animals, even props if they need controls or articulation variables placed upon then.

As to characters, it encompassed 3 main areas bones, setup and skin. Setup is also broken down into two areas namely the ;setup of the rig' and and 'control setup' - given to the animators to use also known as 'puppets' these are the handles an animator use to drive the character, be it on screen controls, sliders, motion driven etc. Areas which fall between puppets and the rig setup - ie the grey area is mocap, stretchy rigs, muscles etc - these rigs are a little different as the animator maybe driving the actually setup and not puppets or a combination of the two.

So in essence you have, bones > control setup > puppet setup - this is essentially 'rigging' as a term. 'Rig' itself can fall into 'animation rig' - the final production rig and even things such as 'lighting rig' - generally a cached mesh, 'lod rig' - a low poly rig, or even 'dynamics rig' - a muscle driven rig, that drives a skin simulation.

Bones, setup and puppets are clearly defined layers to rigging, theres several middle ground areas that marry these layers, such as skinning, muscles simulation, mechanical and morph data. Some rigs may not even require bones or skinning and so 'control setup' - ie constraints, ik handles/solvers, expressions, call scripts and controllers, and then 'puppets'.

eek

aqua9
05-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Thanks everyone for replies

Sorry for replying late

:)

:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

digitalputty
06-11-2006, 02:26 AM
nah, it's simply that part of animation that, to be enjoyed, requires having a clue about the process ;p

Just found this ... that is an awesome post. :D LOL! So true ... so true.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 02:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.