PDA

View Full Version : preloader Question

alaklij
01-05-2003, 08:37 AM
Is it normal for a preloader to nearly finish the load, before the preloader is even visible?

My methods are to target movie clips, and I've noticed all of greastest amount of bytes are on the first frame. Is it normal for Flash to think about the first frame and then display the preloader? Is there a way around this issue? Or do I need to break up into smaller swf's?

My greastest load of bytes isn't even 1/2 MB, bu it is almost all in the first frame(I'm assuming because it is loading the library).

thanks in advance.

alaklij
01-05-2003, 08:57 AM
go here for an example of what I'm talking about:
http://www.stoehrsartstudio.com/sas2/inc.htm

knebbes
01-05-2003, 06:47 PM
do you export symbols / attach sounds or movieClips?
exported symbols are loaded in "frame 0", so you either have to use seperate .swfs or load the whole movie into another .swf which contains nothing but the preloader. if you don't understand what i'm talking about i can make an example (but i only have flash 5 :rolleyes: ) :)

GeoMech
01-05-2003, 07:32 PM
Hard to troubleshoot it exactly without seeing the FLA. Are you loading multiple SWF's on one timeline? Multiple scenes? Assuming that your preloader is it's own MovieClip, check the size of the actual clip. In theory it should be tiny and be the ONLY thing in that frame (other than an actions layer).

People often try to get really complicated when doing preloaders. They should be simple, since they are after all PRELOADERS. The basic syntax should be little more than "Hey, stay right here until that (where "that" is a scene, MC, external SWF or whatever) over there is loaded. Is it loaded? Good...then let's move ahead." Basic actions for a preloader MC might look something like the following:

if (initial == undefined) {
_root.stop();
initial = true;
}
loaded = _root.getBytesLoaded()/_root.getBytesTotal();
total = progress._totalframes;
if (progress._currentframe < total) {
progress.gotoAndStop(Math.round(total*loaded));
} else {
_root.play();
}

The above example assumes that you have a progress bar MC instance called "progress".

Hope that helps.

alaklij
01-05-2003, 11:39 PM
Yes, knebbes, I do understand and thank you. I'm trying out the load swf in a Flash Movie with preloader only right now.

And thank you GeoMech. That's does help.

Michael Chen
01-06-2003, 01:45 AM
I think you can put all the files your using in the library as a different swf file. And then from the main file load the swf file, while and show preloading data. This gets into "sharing library elements".

alaklij
01-06-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks for all your help.

I discovered my major problem was with my many attached movie clips. I didn't realize that attached movies (attachMovie) were loaded before frame one, so the first frame became loaded with too much information.

I worked around this problem by not loading the attached movies into the first frame, and dragged an instance of each onto the stage at frame two and made their alpha 0. This is good now because the bulk of my load is now at frame 2, which allows me see the preloader graphic before it loads everything.

Again, thanks.

proton
01-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Check out some of the preloaders on the source files that can be downloaded from the first thread in this flash section....

fig
01-06-2003, 04:09 PM
just an fyi, but you mentioned that your load wasn't even 1/2 mb...that's still a LOT. looks like you're breaking your site up into smaller clips now which is good, i'd say you want to probably stay at 200-300k max to load (and that's if you've got a rather graphically involved site. if you need to do any more than that look at breaking up your movie more, chances are you can load other things either later on or in the background.

chris

alaklij
01-07-2003, 01:56 AM
Fig, yeah I'm breaking up my sight even further, I'm learning 1/2 MB is large. My primary concern was to have the load graphic come as fast as possible, so people know something is going to happen.

Proton, I really enjoyed your walking character in the landscapes.
I like your preloader, nice and simple.

proton
01-07-2003, 02:55 PM
Thanx...I hope to see some of you use that setup and make ur own....

Armin
01-07-2003, 09:54 PM
not bad to check back me and "mdme-sadie"
conversation on pervious pages of the forum
about "loading".

nice tips from him!
search!

alaklij
01-07-2003, 10:46 PM
Armin, yeah I found it a while ago. Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.