PDA

View Full Version : getting luminance at point?

azshall
05-04-2006, 03:32 PM
There is a command called colorAtPoint that does a pretty good job of grabbing the color of a specific point based on an objects proximity. However, is there one for Luminance? I have not been able to find a command to do so, or .. is there a way to get the Luminance value from the RGB value? Better yet, is there a command that will do something similar, like .. luminanceAtPoint ?? (not that I've found in the docs) ...

Also, colorAtPoint only works at the base texture. Meaning, if I try to use a RGB->Luminance utility node through a ramp (like RGB->HSV) and then sample that new ramp, it will not work... It has to be done (from what I've found) at the base texture level as well ...

Thanks

az

pgraham
05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
searching google for "rgb luminance" yields a site withRGB Luminance value = 0.3 R + 0.59 G + 0.11 BThat's the generally accepted weight of the channels in luminance. Just plug your variables into that formula after using colorAtPoint.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2006, 12:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.