It is NOT organic...
It is big!

fx81
05-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Titanic, Taj Mahal, Eiffel tower ?

Rod Seffen
05-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Mount Everest?
Non-organic models are relatively easier though, so I think the time limit should be shorter than 4 week this time.

RockinAkin
05-04-2006, 04:56 PM
I think 2 weeks should be the max.

Rod Seffen
05-04-2006, 05:18 PM
Yeah, a few of us have even completed David in two weeks.
THe only thing is that it's unfair for people who don't have as much time to spend modeling.

RobertoOrtiz
05-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I am leaning towards 3 weeks..
-R

gaiXyn
05-04-2006, 05:28 PM
I am leaning towards 3 weeks..
-R

good, otherwise ( depending on the complexity ) I won't be able to participate.

Rod Seffen
05-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Roberto, I really think it should be two weeks.
First of all, the postings have really dropped off moving into the third week, I think people have just gotten bored with following the contest and the participants have gotten bored modeling the same thing for so long. Most WIP threads are no longer being updated.
Secondly, a few of us actually modeled David in two weeks, even though we knew we had longer, so that seems like a good benchmark date to me, I doubt anything is goign to be harder or more time consuming than that.
Most of the buzz and excitment lasted for two weeks, and it would have been a nice climax to have had the voting then, instead of having to wait another two weeks.

gaiXyn
05-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Roberto, I really think it should be two weeks.
First of all, the postings have really dropped off moving into the third week, I think people have just gotten bored with following the contest and the participants have gotten bored modeling the same thing for so long. Most WIP threads are no longer being updated.
Secondly, a few of us actually modeled David in two weeks, even though we knew we had longer, so that seems like a good benchmark date to me, I doubt anything is goign to be harder or more time consuming than that.
Most of the buzz and excitment lasted for two weeks, and it would have been a nice climax to have had the voting then, instead of having to wait another two weeks.

I see your point, and I understand you getting bored modeling the same thing for so long. But I guess that's the price you pay for being fast and skillful.

What are we saying if we cut the deadline to 2 weeks when everyone was saying in the original post that they didn't have the time for 3 weeks. I think this challenge is about the learning experience, not to see who can model something very hard, very fast. I'm sure there are people that have seen our progress on David that are looking forward in joining the next challenge. Two weeks will just scare them off. this is about modeling, helping each other out ( like the way you guys help me ) and learning. Becoming better, becoming skillfull and more confidient.

Rod Seffen
05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, why not make it six months then, so people can really learn and model at their own pace.
Having to model quickly is also part of the challenge, and it's nice to get through these as quickly as possible and get onto something new.
More different models means more learning.
SPending a long time on a single model does not promote more learning.

fx81
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
i wouldnt settle for 2 weeks without knowing what the challenge is.

besides, many of us finished the basic model they started but i doubt anyone can say that they have modeled it really close to the real master piece.

each of us are only tweaking it to a certain level that we personaly think is done. but in reality i dont see many models that really look like the david, except the basic anatomy.

some are really close and some arent. detail and perfection is never ending i would say. so keeping that in mind i think even 6 weeks may not be enough to make a perfect model.

gaiXyn
05-06-2006, 04:16 PM
true, but three weeks (21days) is a good starting point. Part of the challenge also is pushing yourself, so that you don't need 6months.

Rod Seffen
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Heh, even michelangelo had to stop at some point, and I'm sure he wasn't happy that his model was perfect either.

fx81
05-06-2006, 04:41 PM
im sure he wasnt trying to create a copy of something else, rather create something new altogether. the perfection i am talking about does not exist in an original art, it only exists is replicas. we are creating a copy of something already done therefore it requires as much perfection as possible in the given time. and i think we are way too ahead discussing all this before Roberto even announced the topic. i am sure he is selecting something that is going to be close to impossible to finish perfectly in 3 weeks; same as this challenge.

rasmusW
05-06-2006, 05:00 PM
is it pentagon?

3 weeks sounds perfectly fine by me. -that way, it's possible to still have a normal job, besides:)

-r

Rod Seffen
05-06-2006, 06:37 PM
It's still an arbitrary deadline, it doesn't matter if it's 2, 3 or 4 weeks, since it's the total hours spent that counts. I could have worked 48 hours on this without stopping and have finished in 2 days, rather than spread it over 2 weeks. All 3 weeks means is that you can spread the same 50 hours over 3 weeks instead of 2, but the total time is the same.

gaiXyn
05-06-2006, 09:22 PM
It's still an arbitrary deadline, it doesn't matter if it's 2, 3 or 4 weeks, since it's the total hours spent that counts. I could have worked 48 hours on this without stopping and have finished in 2 days, rather than spread it over 2 weeks. All 3 weeks means is that you can spread the same 50 hours over 3 weeks instead of 2, but the total time is the same.

Exactly!! So by you saying that, consider those of us ( abyss103 and I for example ) who have to spread that 48hrs for example over a 3week period. I saw in one of your posts that you mention spending 5hrs working on something. I'm assuming that's 5hrs str8. I work full time, I don't have that much time on any given day to spend. Me, I have an hr today, 2hrs tomorrow, and so on, I do the best I can with the time I have. So I think it would be fair to consider those that can't spend that time all at once.

Like you, I could model all day, but it's not possible, yet I would still like to join these challenges. Think about when you first started out, was it easy to just get up and model something like this easily or quickly? It probably took you time to develop a good workflow, finding the tools that you like, setting up shortcuts and so on. Now think about us who are here now where you were. Give them the time needed so that they too can reach that point.

You said a few of you finished in two weeks, the deadline shouldn't be decided on the few, but on the overall amount of time everyone took to finish.

telamon
05-06-2006, 10:02 PM
It is NOT organic...
It is big!

Excellent description of my mother in law.

Three weeks is obviously better. Thanks Roberto

Rod Seffen
05-07-2006, 06:33 AM
Exactly!! So by you saying that, consider those of us ( abyss103 and I for example ) who have to spread that 48hrs for example over a 3week period. I saw in one of your posts that you mention spending 5hrs working on something. I'm assuming that's 5hrs str8. I work full time, I don't have that much time on any given day to spend. Me, I have an hr today, 2hrs tomorrow, and so on, I do the best I can with the time I have. So I think it would be fair to consider those that can't spend that time all at once.

Like you, I could model all day, but it's not possible, yet I would still like to join these challenges. Think about when you first started out, was it easy to just get up and model something like this easily or quickly? It probably took you time to develop a good workflow, finding the tools that you like, setting up shortcuts and so on. Now think about us who are here now where you were. Give them the time needed so that they too can reach that point.

You said a few of you finished in two weeks, the deadline shouldn't be decided on the few, but on the overall amount of time everyone took to finish.

I don't agree. THis is a HARDCORE modeling challenge on a website for accomplished CG artists. THis isnot 3dbuzz. Look at the 3d finished galleries here, you can't just submit work there, it has to be filtered for approval by moderators to meet certain standards - that's the sort of place this is.
This contest isn't for beginners, hence the word 'hardcore', hence the very high difficulty of the challenges, and hence, I would argue, the short time period we should have to complete it.
Some people could take 6 months to finsh this, so we can judge it by that.

gaiXyn
05-07-2006, 06:56 AM
I don't agree. THis is a HARDCORE modeling challenge on a website for accomplished CG artists. THis isnot 3dbuzz. Look at the 3d finished galleries here, you can't just submit work there, it has to be filtered for approval by moderators to meet certain standards - that's the sort of place this is.
This contest isn't for beginners, hence the word 'hardcore', hence the very high difficulty of the challenges, and hence, I would argue, the short time period we should have to complete it.
Some people could take 6 months to finsh this, so we can judge it by that.

I can't believe you said that. Are you saying beginners don't belong on this website? That they have no right joining a hardcore challenge, That they should just stand back and leave it for the accomplished? You must of born with unbeatable talent, b/c I don't see anyone starting from the ground up saying something that silly.

So let's forget about the begginers for the moment then, what are your thoughts on those that are not begginers, but don't have the time to finish in 2weeks?

Rod Seffen
05-07-2006, 07:32 AM
I'm not saying beginners shouldn't take part, I'm saying that the rules in a hardcore modeling contest shouldn't be geared towards the needs of beginners - that should be pretty obvious to anyone.
What about people who don't have time to finish in 3 weeks? Or 4 weeks? or 5 weeks?
There has to be a cutoff point somewwhere, and since this is hardcore, the shorter the better.
The obvious way to work it out is to benchmark what the faster and better peope can do and base it around that.

fx81
05-07-2006, 05:38 PM
i am sort of a beginner and i disagree with you Rod.

The challenge in hardcore but the challengers can be anyone. Thats the fun.

The time is set in an average for everyone i think.

Rod Seffen
05-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Heh, well this is the first time I've modeled a full anatomically correct male figure, so I'm a beginner in this one too. Still managed to do it in two weeks though, with pretty reasonable results, so I think I'm a good benchmark.
How is this average worked out? What is the average amount of time the average perosn has to spend modeling each week?
What is the average number of hours modeling time it should take the average modeler to model a copy of David?
There are no available answers for those questions, it's just an arbitrary decision whether to make it 2 or 3 or 4 weeks.
It's also not just about the modeling time you have available, but how quicly you model.

fx81
05-07-2006, 06:13 PM
i dont see how you could set yourself as benchmark for everyone else. none of us can.
its set by a FORUM LEADER with good judgement i am sure.
lets just respect that and leave it at that.

Rod Seffen
05-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Actually, I think the time limit should change depending on the model that has to be made.

fx81
05-07-2006, 06:28 PM
well, as i said before this is too early to discuss how long the time limit should be. let just wait and see what Roberto comes up with for the topic then we can continue this discussion.

gaiXyn
05-07-2006, 07:04 PM
I think my David came out with good results too, and I'm a beginner. That's part of what this challenge is about, finding out what you can really do if you push yourself. I'm not talking about myself when I say it should be three weeks. I'm sure now with this new experience, that I could model the David ( or any similar figure ) in alot less time.

But I can't say because I could do it in less time, that the time should be shortened and forget about everyone else. The last time I checked, CGTalk is a community, and in a community there are all types of people, at different skill levels, different time schedules, helping each other. Some don't even have access to a computer all the time.

I think it's just about the fairness, but like fx81 said, ultimately, it's up to the forum leader, so let's just sit back and wait to see what Roberto comes up with.

RobertoOrtiz
05-08-2006, 03:03 PM
FYI

ONE WEEK TO GO :The Hardcore Modeling MINI-Challenge #1: The David (MAY 15th) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=354766)

ROBERTOS BULLHORN: Expanded RULES for the FINAL RENDER (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=354104)

-R

Equinoxx
05-12-2006, 12:40 PM
responding to the 'clue' It's obviously the Tower of Pizza ...

since Roberto was leaning towards 3 weeks ... :D

bigbad
05-19-2006, 06:40 PM
It's a train I tell you. I should be an inspector.... Like clousoue. Kato, yoeh fuol.

Staszek
05-20-2006, 10:05 AM
or something like this ? :)
http://www.cruiseweb.nl/images/dwarsdoorsnede/VoyageroftheSeas.jpg

it is too bad.. but i cant take enterence to next challenge...or nothing else....

cbernardo
05-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Hello,

I'm new here. How works this mini-challenges, can I suggest any photo?

This challenges sounds intersting and funny! :bounce:

[]s
carlos

jorust
05-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Looking foreward to the next challenge.

Was to busy to do anything with that David... :shrug:, but I'm ready for the next one.

fx81
05-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello,

I'm new here. How works this mini-challenges, can I suggest any photo?

This challenges sounds intersting and funny! :bounce:

[]s
carlos

well, the next challenge will be hard-surface modeling, NOT organic. just clearing that up since i still see people suggesting organic subject.

basically people can suggest(photo or link) something that will be a challenge to complete in 3 weeks.

Roberto will decide on the final topic, and it will be announced. then we will have approaximately 3 weeks to finish the whole thing, part of it etc. depending on our type of entry.

then they will be voten on by everybody.

i wish the voting was left to a judging panel made up of industry professionals instead of open voting. i seen people voting in the david challenge and some of them seem to have no clue about realistic modeling or have the capacity to observe objectively.

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
i wish the voting was left to a judging panel made up of industry professionals instead of open voting. i seen people voting in the david challenge and some of them seem to have no clue about realistic modeling or have the capacity to observe objectively.

I agree there shoud be a judgng panel, but not for your reason which was basically 'those stupid noobs who voted don't know good from bad, everyone should have agreed with my judgement, after all, I've been doing this for 20 years and am not just some uppity know-it-all student'
My reason for not having an open public vote is that when there aren't that many people voting, it's more about who you know rather than about your artwork. You can easily get a bunch of friends come and vote for you, which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

BTW, I think Roberto has already chosen the topic for the next one, so feel free to suggest anyting organic or otherwsie for the following challenge.

fx81
05-20-2006, 04:58 PM
I agree there shoud be a judgng panel, but not for your reason which was basically 'those stupid noobs who voted don't know good from bad, everyone should have agreed with my judgement, after all, I've been doing this for 20 years and am not just some uppity know-it-all student'
My reason for not having an open public vote is that when there aren't that many people voting, it's more about who you know rather than about your artwork. You can easily get a bunch of friends come and vote for you, which makes a mockery of the whole thing.

heh! i could reply, but forum arguement isnt my thing.
lets just say i wont go into name calling like you and fall to your level.

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Heh, you just called everyone who didn't agree with your expert opinion a stuipd noob, so get get all high brow on us now.
You're saying that when you made your judgement, you based it on an in-depth critique, taking into account your expert knowledge on all relevant factors, while everyone else who voted and didn't agree with you obviously made their decision based on something like 'I likes that one teh best cus it has like nice pretty colors and stuff'

NRG-Alpha
05-20-2006, 05:36 PM
Interesting debates goin on here..
I would like to add my opinions to this:

For those who are leaning on 2 weeks because 'speed is part of the challenge', I tend to disagree. There is a forum for speed modelling:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=122

And I think that this is where speed should count (and only there).
Having said this, we obviously shouldn't take 6 months either. Let's be reasonable. I suppose the problem is that 'reasonable' is a variable that changes from person to person. I think that if you manage to get your modelling done in two days because you are say, unemployed and live at home, then great.. Get it done and simply move on to other stuff while others continue. You'll find out the end result regardless whether you finish in 2 days or 2 weeks. This is not a race in my opinion, harcore or not. To me, hardcore does not equate to speed, it equates to model complexity. Otherwise, a hardcore challenge can entail building less complex objects in even less time than it requires to build them. Time and model complexity go hand in hand, and as one becomes more, there should really be some compensation by having the other become less (its all about reciprocity in my opinion).

While Oddity does bring up interesting (and correct) points of longer periods becoming a drag and some people losing interest, the other side of the coin, some people have fulltime (or even overtime) career / job obligations, family obligations (when children are involved, well, we know how much time that takes out of the day), not to mention a host of other unkown issues not mentioned. I don't agree that speed should be included (within reason of course) simply because of the fact that there is the high speed forum for that. If you are done early, great. Move on and wait. Simple as that.

I also agree with a panel of judges that make unbiased judging instead of just any jane or john doe forum member making votes. Member voting systems can be easily rigged, and if there is a lack of adequate votes, who is to say that the 'correct winner' will be the victor?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

NRG

fx81
05-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Heh, you just called everyone who didn't agree with your expert opinion a stuipd noob, so get get all high brow on us now.

heh, you just dont get it do you?
it has nothing to do with my personal opinion. open voting is the same as the number of stars you see on posts here. there is a different between informed opinion by industry professionals(which i am not) and votes from non-professionals(which i am).

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Interesting debates goin on here..
I would like to add my opinions to this:

For those who are leaning on 2 weeks because 'speed is part of the challenge', I tend to disagree. There is a forum for speed modelling:
And I think that this is where speed should count (and only there).

Not really, 'speed' in that context is talking about a few hours. You'd be lucky to model one of David's toes correctly in that time.

Having said this, we obviously shouldn't take 6 months either. Let's be reasonable. I suppose the problem is that 'reasonable' is a variable that changes from person to person. I think that if you manage to get your modelling done in two days because you are say, unemployed and live at home, then great.. Get it done and simply move on to other stuff while others continue. You'll find out the end result regardless whether you finish in 2 days or 2 weeks. This is not a race in my opinion, harcore or not. To me, hardcore does not equate to speed, it equates to model complexity. Otherwise, a hardcore challenge can entail building less complex objects in even less time than it requires to build them. Time and model complexity go hand in hand, and as one becomes more, there should really be some compensation by having the other become less (its all about reciprocity in my opinion).
However, speed is also an indication of modeling proficency, a better modeler can model faster and they require less thinking time and effort to produce the same result as a lesser modeler. The problem is that there is no way to prove exactly how many hours someone has worked on their model, so that can never be taken into consideration in the actual judging process.
It's always going to be unfair, no matter what the time limit is, people with more free time are going to have an advantage, but I can see your point that the longer the time period is, the more it evens out.

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 07:43 PM
heh, you just dont get it do you?
it has nothing to do with my personal opinion. open voting is the same as the number of stars you see on posts here. there is a different between informed opinion by industry professionals(which i am not) and votes from non-professionals(which i am).

I dunno, there are a lot of 'professional' modelers, i.e people who make their living doing it, who are not really that good at what they do. I see plenty of games with models that are no better, or worse, than I make myself, so I wouldn't just instantly and unquestioningly accept the opinion of someone just becasue they happen to be a 'professional'.

Wongedan
05-20-2006, 08:07 PM
It is NOT organic...
It is big!

MECHAAAAAA, evangeliooonn, gundaaaammm yeahhh

gaiXyn
05-20-2006, 08:33 PM
lol, you dudes are funny. Moving on tho.

I know this thread isn't for this sought of topic, but allow me to say this.

I personally didn't enter the challenge thinking I would win, not at all. Instead I did it to challenge myself. I knew there was a strong possibility that some of "The Big Dogs" of modeling would enter, and I made the choice to join up anyway. The fact that I even gotten a couple of votes blows my mind :eek:.

To me, it doesn't matter if someone modeled it in two weeks with a total of 65hours. Or did it in three days and took only 24hours. Just because it was done earlier doesn't mean it's going to be good, and having it take longer doesn't mean it's going to be any better either. It just means ( in most cases ) the time they had to spend on it.

I do agree about how the voting system was handled, but I believe that it should be both. Both the public and a judging panel should be involved. ( but not only to judge, but to give pointers on why they choose that one, what could be approved on and what not ) The public voting should go first, then the judging panel or whatever goes in aftward to truly c I mean I would like to know where I stand in bases of professionalism, would you? I think it would be kida cool :D

By the way, I don't think fx81 is thinking about hisself, and I say this b/c he's been helping alot of us out during the challenge without much help from us in return. Even you oDDity received him from him which probably increased your model's likeness of the real David by 15% - 25%.

RobertoOrtiz
05-20-2006, 09:23 PM
And about judges, to behonest I like the idea a lot of open voting,
but the guys making an argument for judges are making some strong points.

And people indeed I have already decided on the next topic.
To be honest it is VERY HARD, so I am very concerned
about participation.

Okon more clue,

It is a world Landmark
-R

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Well, David was very hard, and there weren't that many finishers, in fact, only 3 of us managed to complete the full body. so if this is even harder and more time consuming than that, I can't see many people making it over the line.
Maybe you won't need to concern yourself with votes at all, whoever finishes will win automatically)

jorust
05-20-2006, 10:15 PM
It is a world Landmark
-R

- Eiffel Tower
- Mount Rushmore
- Great Wall of China
- Machu Pichu
- Empire State B/ Manhatten Skyline/ Brooklyn Bridge
- Caves of Tora Bora

??? :bounce:

Rod Seffen
05-20-2006, 10:21 PM
None of those really fall into the 'very hard' category, time consuming, yes, but not hard. I'd say the Taj Mahal.

fx81
05-20-2006, 10:57 PM
landmark.. hmmm

is it 100% hard-surface ?

telamon
05-21-2006, 12:38 AM
the ruins of angkor (it is rather technical but not too difficult to build a sound building, it is awful to model ruins).

NRG-Alpha
05-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Did anyone mention the Statue of Liberty as a landmark? I can see that as being challenging.

*Edit - Then again, if people can pull off the statue of David, than mabey this wouldn't be as hard. - end edit*

cbernardo
05-21-2006, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the answer FX81. =D

My suggestion. Looks difficult but not impossible in 3 weeks. This place is called "Wire Opera" and stays in a city here in Brazil. I never see personally, but looks beautiful!

http://www.curitiba.pr.gov.br/pmc/servicos/wallpaper/Images/operaarame800.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera6.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera4.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera3.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera1.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera2.jpg
http://www.viaje.curitiba.pr.gov.br/Abav/saladeimprensa/fotos/opera/image/opera5.jpg

[]s
carlos

RobertoOrtiz
05-22-2006, 01:12 AM
Another clue....

It is in Europe.

-R

telamon
05-22-2006, 01:34 AM
is that a "non wall mart" supermarket ?

Let us say Big Ben :D

No... Don't say "the vatican" after the David

cbernardo
05-22-2006, 03:11 AM
Maybe Sistina Chapelle? Eiffel Tower?

[]s
carlos

Rod Seffen
05-22-2006, 07:41 AM
It's definitely not the Eiffel tower, there's nothing difficult about modeling a girder and cloning it 5000 times, it would however, be the most utterly tedious thing I can ever imagine doing.
Big Ben, yeah maybe, neo-gothic architecture could be tricky, or the Collesum, but again, with most architecture there's a lot of 'model one bit and clone it' going on.
The Sistine chapel would be very difficulif if we had to paint the damn ceiling texture when we'd finised the model)

jorust
05-22-2006, 09:36 AM
Notre Dame...?

I really hope not.

Ecleposs
05-22-2006, 02:02 PM
or may b the coliseum:deal:

NRG-Alpha
05-22-2006, 11:05 PM
Notre Dame...?

I really hope not.

I think polymess might be on to something. I bet it is some uber-complex cathedral. If that's the case, man, that would be simply insane :eek:

-NRG

gaiXyn
05-23-2006, 03:48 AM
Notre Dame...?

That would suck!, lol.

RobertoOrtiz
05-23-2006, 03:56 AM
I think polymess might be on to something. I bet it is some uber-complex cathedral. If that's the case, man, that would be simply insane :eek:

-NRG

Well the next onw will not be about Notre Dame, BUT we will do it eventually.
I have an idea on how to pull it off.

-R

NRG-Alpha
05-23-2006, 05:39 AM
Binder.. Notre Dame wouldn't suck.. stuff like THIS woud suck! It's not so much the cloning of base elements that worry me, its the figure statues included on these walls as well as the numerous small details...

Kölner Dom:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://galerie.kiwi-maracuja.de/albums/wjt/Der_K_lner_Dom.jpg&imgrefurl=http://galerie.kiwi-maracuja.de/wjt/Der_K_lner_Dom%3Fset_fullOnly%3Don&h=600&w=800&sz=158&tbnid=VCuWXhw3_RAgUM:&tbnh=106&tbnw=142&hl=en&start=17&prev=/images%3Fq%3DK%25C3%25B6lner%2BDom%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Rouen cathedral:
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.notaquadrata.ca/images/cathedrals/rouen-cathedral.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.notaquadrata.ca/cathedrals.html&h=652&w=488&sz=74&tbnid=O-c9h3l4VjsqIM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=101&hl=en&start=27&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcathedrals%26start%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Sagrada Familia Catherdral:
http://www.brynosaurus.com/album/2003/0527-Barcelona/cathglass-lg.jpg
http://www.brynosaurus.com/album/2003/0527-Barcelona/catharch-lg.jpg

Antonio Gaudi Catherdral:
http://www.his.com/~roberth/Europe2001/Barcelona/cathedral%20closeup3.jpg
http://photos.runic.com/photos/sagrada1.jpg

(sorry for the long links)

Cheers,

NRG

gaiXyn
05-23-2006, 06:39 AM
jezzz! those would just suck more, lol.

Seriously tho, I wouldn't know what to do if any of those became a challenge.

telamon
05-23-2006, 12:03 PM
Roberto, another clue please? where is it in Europe? Italy, France, United Kingdom, Russia, Spain, Germany ? Is it historic or modern.

What about the Klimt Museum in Vienna http://f46.aaa.livedoor.jp/~sachio/P1003662.JPG

RobertoOrtiz
05-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Most tourists to Europe visit it...

:)

jorust
05-23-2006, 12:44 PM
The Red District of Amsterdam...? :rolleyes:

RobertoOrtiz
05-23-2006, 12:46 PM
LOL! I need air!

-R

telamon
05-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Le Mont Saint Michel ? Please no... too complicated.

zem
05-23-2006, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing the challange is to model the entire Heathrow Airport!
With planes!
and snakes.
on a plane.
Snakes!!

MrJames
05-23-2006, 03:17 PM
So when are we going to know when the next challenge starts, is there a date set?

@lias
05-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Most tourists to Europe visit it...

well. i see alot of tourists in this picture ..:twisted:

http://www.arabian-knight.com/Russia/kremlin1997.jpg

http://www.arabian-knight.com/Russia/kremlin1997.jpg

atzfratz
05-23-2006, 07:31 PM
but thats not Europe.

odc
05-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Damn those wikipedian bastards, they dare saying that Moscow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow) actually is in Europe! :eek:

RobertoOrtiz
05-24-2006, 01:54 AM
Man, the Kremlim would be a kick ass challenge..

I am holiday right now, but as soon as I come back Ill post the rules.

-R

telamon
05-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Yeah, the kremlin's fortress, the red place, Basil church and the GUM should be a nice challenge. plus the wonderful door which you have to cross when you comme from the Mokhovaia Ulitsa. But the inner building are too complicated IMHO. Behind the big red wall is one of the most beautiful palace ever seen covered with gold and marble (and Eltsin's meals on the walls :D).

Concerning the cathedral, I personnally prefer the one which is at Saint Petersburg at the end of the channels.

RobertoOrtiz
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Another clue...

It is near a river.

zem
05-24-2006, 12:53 PM
Now I'm almost certain it's Big Ben.

telamon
05-24-2006, 01:10 PM
Le Louvre or Big Ben (or the whole parliament building) indeed.

Anyway, I apply. :bounce:

atzfratz
05-24-2006, 04:34 PM
my first guess would be:
http://www.christopherholt.com/wallpaper/wallpaper_tower-bridge-07.jpg

but another nice one could be:
http://www.dresden-und-sachsen.de/dd2/xpics_dd/frauenkirche.jpg

erlik
05-24-2006, 06:32 PM
Lemme see, a hard surface, it's near a river. Most tourists visit it.

Really, it doesn't leave much choice. Eiffel Tower, L'Arc de Triomphe, Big Ben and the Parliament, Colloseum... Palazzo Uficci, possibly?

Hah. :D Diokletian's Palace? Or something from Dubrovnik? Both are near rivers.

Rod Seffen
05-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Now I'm almost certain it's Big Ben.

Heh, well ok, start modeling it now and get a good start on everyone else).

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 01:02 AM
One final clue,

What it is has been mentioned on the thread

fx81
05-25-2006, 01:18 AM
haha, great :scream:

that sure narrows it down to what????

Stefan-Morrell
05-25-2006, 02:39 AM
my moneys on the Eiffel tower :)

Big Ben would be very cool though,it does look like an impressive building

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 02:48 AM

gaiXyn
05-25-2006, 04:01 AM
This is getting exciting, and scary too. :D

Stefan-Morrell
05-25-2006, 05:08 AM
London Bridge? :eek:

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 05:32 AM
Ok guys you got 6 hours to make a correct guess.

-R

robinhood
05-25-2006, 08:04 AM
mmm...lets see :curious:
its some where in GERMANY guys..keep looking:cool:

CGZAMOR
05-25-2006, 08:19 AM
no here it is

MrJames
05-25-2006, 08:25 AM
lol, beat me to it ;)

Yes that's correct, the numbers equal the Latitude and Longitude.... :D

Oh and btw its Westminster, London...

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Good, it is nice to see that people paid attention in the geography class...

Here are the complete numbers...

51°29′58″N, 0°07′29″W

-R

darkjedi1929
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Westminster Abbey/Station or College? Hope I get it on one count at least...:)

cbernardo
05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Is this the parliament?

Ow boy! :sad:

[]s
carlos

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
Check the forum Its up!

-R

cbernardo
05-25-2006, 02:26 PM
Wow the Big Ben? Just the tower or all the parliament?

[]s
carlos

RobertoOrtiz
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
The BIG clock tower...

-R

CGTalk Moderation
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.