PDA

View Full Version : Simple question about Modeling windows

PolygonWindow
05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
Hi all,

I actually read and searched through the forums and din't find a concrete answer on my little question. If I'm repeating sth asked million times I'm sorry..

I'm working on my first sort-off architectural walk-through. I'm working in 3ds max. The animation will be mostly inside the building, but outside as well (i think). I'm now doing the windows which have quite some frames. Finally i want it a good quality and i want to have glass in the windows. I'm asking because I'll do a lot of windows and frames and don't want to do it wrong so i don't have to do it all again.

- The glass should finally be a solid unopened polygon with volume so the glass material is working properly, am i right? Not like a onesided plane or sth.?

- Is it advisable to make the window frame and glass different objects? Or is it OK modellng the window (frame and glass) out of the same box, extruding the frames and so on and finally put a multi/sub material with glass/frame material and distribute the materials to faces? but i can imagine that the glass material wont work properly 'not knowing' what the actual volume/body of the glass is?

how do you guys do this?

thanks in advance,

poly

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2006, 10:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.