PDA

View Full Version : Volume light effect with dust particles

atomcraft
05-04-2006, 09:33 AM
Im trying to add some life to a still image that was created in Photoshop that has a wonderul volume light streaking though a skylight and Im trying to figure out a way of putting in some swirling dust.
The volume light is on a separate layer (with an alpha) and I've been trying to apply some kind of noise effect to it but without any luck.
I've just started using AE recently as I've always done my compositing on Combustion so please excuse me if this a really easy one!

Thanks

tuomok
05-04-2006, 10:37 AM
I'd try something like Fractal Noise on a separate adjustment layer with masks to define the edges.

Also Trapcode's Shine can be useful when doing volumetrics.

atomcraft
05-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks! Ill try this!

2a03
05-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Try shooting dust in the air against a black background with a minidv cam and putting it on top of your source... I needed dust for 2k plates on my current project so I shot dust on minidv then simply tiled enough layers of the minidv dust footage to fill the 2k plate... I offset their start times and used feathered masks around the layers to hide any signs of repetition..It works pretty well.

atomcraft
05-04-2006, 02:25 PM
Now -that- is an excellent idea - I used a similar technique with fireworks and overlaying them with screen mode to produce a very nice effect.

Unfortunatly I don't really have the time (or the space or the equipment) to set this up for this job - but when I get a moment I must make some stock effects like this one.....

Cheers!

2a03
05-04-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey cool! I also shot a bunch of firework stock that I use in my comps... I didn't use a very complicated setup when I shot the dust... Just before sundown there's lots of dust in the air swirling through my living room that is illuminated by rays of light coming in one of the windows... So I tacked some black cloth to the wall and shot the dust handheld with my minidv cam with the black cloth as a backing.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2006, 02:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.