PDA

View Full Version : Maya Hardware Transparency

comic-craig
05-03-2006, 08:40 PM
I have an issue with Maya’s Hardware Transparency display. I am creating a game asset in Maya, and I get strange inaccurate transparency when I use a transparency map. The transparency looks fine with Software Render. Is there a way to fix this- or is it only my graphics card? Also- should it really be an issue since this artwork will eventually display in a game environment and not Maya?

thomaspecht
05-03-2006, 09:03 PM
i don't think there is currently a way to fix this. maya's transparency handling in the viewports has always been weird, no matter what system and graphics card you were running it on. it looks just as garbled on a quadro card ... or an onyx3, for that matter ;)
some said high quality rendering would fix it but it didn't made a difference - at least in my attempts.

in the end as you said it won't matter since your asset is targeted at some realtime engine. but it sure is quite annoying to work with.

comic-craig
05-04-2006, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the reply GIJOE. yeah- seems f**ed up. I noticed that if I used High Quality rendering- and used multiple shaders- I was able to get something that worked. I have several parts- 3 of which have thier own transparency map. I assigned a shader to one part and got decent transparency. Then if I assigned the same shader to a different part- the transparency would be in the wrong place. If I duplicated the shader and reapplied it- transparency problem solved. I have no idea why this worked- if you or someone else knows- feel free to explain. Of course- I can't deliver three different shaders for one asset- but hopefully its a non-issue with the proper rendering application. This is a test- to work out a pipeline for game art prodction- I'm guessing this will be addressed.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2006, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.