PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray User Forum

AWAKE
01-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Anyone know of a Mental ray Forum or help site??

I haven't been able to find anything...

gga
01-13-2003, 12:45 AM
There are four I know of.

Softimage runs its own forum for xsi/softimage related questions regarding mental ray. These are free and cover both usage and shader writing for those two packages. This is the oldest mailing list, that goes back about 6 years or so, up to mray1.9. So some old stuff is no longer relevant. The mray list used to be very active at one point, but now the list is rather empty. More useful is the overall xsi list. Even if you use maya2mr, some of the techniques, concepts and tutorials posted are usually applicable, but the shader library is different so will need to hunt for the equivalent button. You will also likely find some of the oldest mray users here.

Maya has its own forums in the A|W web site support area after you get an account with them (one for which you pay and receive A|W support, and one free, where you get no support). Both do require having purchased the product to get access. So far these have mainly dealt with current maya2mr bugs, incompatabilities and possible future feature requests.

Highend3d also has a maya forum for mental ray, created only recently. This is free and with no official support either. Most users are just learning mray there, but there are some few posts by ex-xsi users that usually are helpful for new users.

Finally mental images runs a listserver, with questions related to mental ray's core directly and not any integration with 3D apps. These are free but are only to answer shader writer questions instead of how button X works in application Y.

All of the above are at their respective websites or provide subscription there: www.softimage.com, www.aw.sgi.com, www.highend3d.com and www.mental.com

gmask
01-14-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by AWAKE
Anyone know of a Mental ray Forum or help site??

I haven't been able to find anything...

Here's the specific MR forum on Highend3d.com

http://www.highend3d.com/boards/postlist.php?Cat=1,2&Board=MayaMR

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.