PDA

View Full Version : Shake, Keying and Lighting

ian27
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you have had any experiences often using shake for keying? We have a greenscreen in our studio and have been practicing with it and wondered what the best lighting methods etc were for this? So I thought I'd ask to see if you guys have any experience of this.

Thank you in advance.

Ian

Aneks
05-04-2006, 12:44 AM
shakes keying is very good. I generally prefer to key in it to almost anything else. That said keying very compressed footage is gonna suck no matter what you use.

What are you shooting on !?!

All the standard guidlines for lighting screens will apply.
Just make sure that you screen is evenly lit and exposed properly ( within half a stop from key is ideal ). If you are not too expereinced shooting chroma screens and you are shooting video or hd then have a vectorscope on set to monitor the brightness and chroma can help. If you are shooting film avoid any kind of 'enhancement' 'noise reduction' or secondary colour corrections in the telecine

Make sure you have decent seperation between your fg elemets and screen to avoid spill and keep the screen as taught and free of obstructions as possible.

JshuFX
05-14-2006, 11:44 PM
yes i agree with aneks...shake is a great prog for keying and i just a killer app anyway....

having a vectorscope is very important if shooting video....also what are you shooting on?

DV and its 4:1:1 color compression will give you stair stepped edges...there are ways to fix it but it is annoying....just be warned and dont think shake is crappy at keying if you run into this problem

thatoneguy
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM
Another helpful thing when lighting a greenscreen, if you don't have scopes, is to use your zebras to your advantage.

Set the zebras to something like 80% then as you light your screen, while playing with your iris, try to get all of the screen to go to zebra simultaneously. Not as clean as just looking at a good waveform, but then again you don't always have a waveform monitor handy for whatever reason.

CGTalk Moderation
05-15-2006, 04:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.