PDA

View Full Version : Open EXR!! Will LW9 use all features of format?

MorBioS
05-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Hi guys. I was loonking for a good format that allow me to save files for movie(pelicula - 2048 X 1232) with 16bit and has possibility of many arbitrary channel to set (layer manage). So I heard about Open EXR, but LW is not all 100% compatible with EXR features.

So I think so that now is a good moment to Newtek make a powerful LWEXR for LW 9.

I would like to know if someone there need it as well? And how do you guys are doing for render movies with LW at moment?

Thanks all and sorry my poor english

monovich
05-03-2006, 04:54 PM
I've been experimenting with all sorts of different formats for the short film I'm working on. I didn't try open EXR until the last minute, and it has only one or two options to it if you use the version from Flay. It's probably the better format for high dynamic range - at least for the reason that it compresses nicely (which Radiance doesn't).

For most shots I ended up using PSD export (16 bit) in the image processing tab. I've found the different opitions it has to be the most flexible. It's depth buffer output is nice becuase you can set a different arbitrary depth for every shot you render out. I can't get it's Object and Surface ID buffers to read in After Effects, so that was a small bummer but I ended up not needing that feature much. 16 bit obviously wasn't high dynamic range, but it was nice to have that extra image info for boosting shadows and tweaking color.

hope that helps.

MorBioS
05-03-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh yeah. LW EXR is very poor :( I'll be great if LW 9 release with a full EXR compatible. :)
Actually the only advantage in LW EXR is your compress level, I think...

AE is not a good choice to work with EXR format. I thought into work with Fusion 5, that seems work very fine with EXR. But I'm completly out about your price.

Thanks Monovich

Excuse my english

Freak!!
05-03-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah i know LW8.x and LW9.x still feature the same free EXR saver...
NT were meant to obtain the source code and implement it into LW8.x

Like the public hub, idea... LW8.x never allowed this...

Despite promising it on the LW8.x feature list, it's truly sad this company refuses
to do the things necessary and even the things they themselves already promised.

Macs don't even have an OpenEXR saver.

I'm not sure 100% what areas the LWOpenEXR saver does not support,
i know the format supports a lot of features, like depth, half, compression etc...

monovich
05-04-2006, 05:27 AM
I remember that copyright issues may have prevented LW from providing an OpenEXR plugin. maybe try doing a search.

monovich
05-04-2006, 05:28 AM
Oh yeah. LW EXR is very poor :( I'll be great if LW 9 release with a full EXR compatible. :)
Actually the only advantage in LW EXR is your compress level, I think...

AE is not a good choice to work with EXR format. I thought into work with Fusion 5, that seems work very fine with EXR. But I'm completly out about your price.

Thanks Monovich

Excuse my english

AE works fine with EXR. It has native support and now supports 32bit. It may not be the fastest or most robust... I haven't even tried anything else yet (I really want to)

ThE_JacO
05-04-2006, 06:21 AM
I remember that copyright issues may have prevented LW from providing an OpenEXR plugin. maybe try doing a search.

huh?! it's an open format, no copyright or IP issue can prevent you in any regards when it comes to openEXR, otherwise it would have never ever made a dent in the userbase.

as for openEXR being necessary, or even good, for film output, that plain doesn't make sense.

there's a number of other issues about going out to film, none of which are explicitly addressed by openEXR. openEXR's convenience is in completely different areas, to go out on film most DIs will be done on cineon files anyway.

monovich
05-04-2006, 06:29 PM
this is the thread I was referring to that referenced copyright issues. I know that EXR is open source, but I guess Newtek didn't get the code like everyone thought.

It's no excuse, mind you. What modern 3d package doesn't support EXR?

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=224711&highlight=openEXR

read down the link a bit for a comment from chuck.

MorBioS
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM
AE works fine with EXR. It has native support and now supports 32bit. It may not be the fastest or most robust... I haven't even tried anything else yet (I really want to)

Hi monovich.

Yeah AE works with EXR, but not so fine. EXR has able to work with many channels and AE can't open every channels of EXR. So EXR format is a very good deal to work in a comp program and output for a cineon or tif format to film.

Cya

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2006, 04:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.