PDA

View Full Version : hey whats up

WH33LS
05-03-2006, 01:36 PM
hey .. i been modeling for about 3 months now.. getting into animations too but something i havn't spent much time at is rendering and lighting ..

here's 2 examples of what i attempted so far but i'm not satisfied because the floor seems to blend in to much with the chrome .. anyone have any solutions how to make these better?

i'm also reading lighting tutorials now, but maybe someone here has been wondering the samething or has solutions or tricks that'll work also .. any comments are welcomed and helpful

i've realised my computer is to crap to render a full copy of my motorcycle, so instead i'm just going to render all the pieces and someday later on, import them all onto the bike

thanks

WH33LS
05-03-2006, 02:45 PM
and heres a few more

Rens
05-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Hi, one thing I quickly noticed, don't use specular on smooth reflective surfaces like that, it'll just look odd. :)

WH33LS
05-03-2006, 04:34 PM
what would you do to make it look nice? .. i don't mean for it to be a saucy remark or anything .. just curious how you would go about making the stuff look better, i'll try and see what happens

Rens
05-03-2006, 10:40 PM
Ok, a few things:
- The gold looks too bright, black will still look black when reflected in gold. White will be tinted yellow. Basically everything will be tinted yellow/orange. Test your material and see if it holds up to those points. Same for the chrome except for the tinting.
- Here is gold's basic colour. http://www.webmineral.com/data/Gold.shtml , awesome site BTW for mineral/metal ref.
- There should hardly be any diffuse colour in polished metals like that. Like a percent or two tops.
- This ties in with the above comment, and as said before, no spec.
- Get some bright panels or objects to be reflected in the materials, it'll look much better.
- Look at studio lighting setups and pictures of reflective objects shot in a photo studio and look at what they did to make it look good. Compare it to your own image.
Keep in mind that when you look at a smooth metal object you will basically only see the reflected environment and when the environment looks like crap your object will look like crap.
- The reflective floor distracts too much. If you really want to make it reflective look at glossy/blurry reflections in the material's reflection options in your program. This will blur the reflections thus details will be less visible thus the viewer's focus will be on your object and not on its reflection in the floor.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck. :)

Rens
05-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Oh, and look at the following thread, I explained a bit more on materials there. Hopefully it's useful.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=351497

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 10:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.