PDA

View Full Version : Extrusion along Curve plus Scaling?

Creature
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I'm using a circle extruded along a custom curve to create a tube-like structure. Now I want my pape to scale down on it's way to the end of the custom curve. So the resulting Surface Mesh has 100% of the circles radius as its radius at the Start point but only about 5% radius at the end point. (the tube gets pointier towards the end)

How would someone do this as I see no scaling option in the Extrusion dialog.

dwigfor
05-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Check out the transform tab in the extrude along curve op

Creature
05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Check out the transform tab in the extrude along curve op

There is no transform tab in the extrude along curve op when building a surface or poly mesh out of two curves. The transform tab only exists when you are extruding polygons along a curve.

Which is how I solved this btw. But I didn't use the scaling options in the transform tab but the inset parameter when extruding polygons along a curve. Worked quite well but kept me wondering why there isn't an inset option for creating a surface mesh using extrude along curve while there is such an option when you're extruding selected polygons.

kimaldis
05-06-2006, 08:45 PM
try animating the curve along the path, duplicate from animation then skinning the resulting curves. Bit of a long way round but it does work.

daniel77
05-09-2006, 11:55 AM
XSI dosn't have the 3dsMAX type lofts, where you pick one path curve and then as many profiles as you want??? havn't found that but it would sure be useful

Creature
05-09-2006, 12:27 PM
XSI dosn't have the 3dsMAX type lofts, where you pick one path curve and then as many profiles as you want??? havn't found that but it would sure be useful

No, that's not there. You can have as many profiles as you want in a nurbs-surface but you have to put the profiles in the right spot first. Then it builds the mesh out of the crosssections. With extrusions along a path (or curve as it is called in xsi) you can only have one profile curve.

But as I mentioned, extruding polygons along a curve does give you an inset option while extruding a curve along a curve does not. Weird (and still not as versataile as having multiple profiles as in max).

AdrianLazar
05-09-2006, 12:42 PM
i had a similar problem, and i found the solution here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=324405)
hope that helps

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2006, 12:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.