PDA

View Full Version : Football

Gibbo
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone,

yep, i need to model a football (or if your from across the pond, a soccer ball :o) the stitching needs to be variable though, from the classic hexagonal stiching to the more modern styles we see today. Is there a rule of thumb to follow with regard to modelling this/is there a script that will help?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,
Gav.

dwigfor
05-03-2006, 08:32 PM
so /Get/Prim/Poly/SoccerBall won't do?

DragonslayerAz
05-03-2006, 09:09 PM
According to Gibbo, no.

Gibbo - Well, there isn't much to be done that isn't modeling it by hand or purchasing a model of a soccer ball with the characteristics you have in mind from anywhere on the internet.

I personally would start with a sphere, and then replace/add geometry to get it to look the way you want it to look. Be careful with its shape, since it's easy to lose the sphere that a soccer ball is supposed to be.

Hope that helps.

Gibbo
05-04-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey guys,

thanks for the replies! Dwigfor, i did check out xsi's generic football but its not really what i am after, i need to be able to create bespoke stitching designs so modelling the football is a must. DragonslayerAz, i think you're right - i was just curious to see if anyone had any neat tricks that might come in handy. Anyhow, sphere we go!......................hehe, get it? spHERE we go...................(ahem)..............

G.

Chris-TC
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
For the stitching I'd recommend the Dupalong Addon. I don't remember where I got it but it's pretty cool because it duplicates along a curve.

Basically, you'd just model your stiches, extract curves from your mesh and then duplicate the stitches along these curves. This works really well but obviously it requires some manual modeling.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2006, 01:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.