PDA

View Full Version : Blendshapes

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 08:29 AM
How do you create a mirrored left and right side for blendshapes?

So how would I create a smile blenshape that's symetrical on both sides? Without having to manually model both sides perfectly? (you can't delete half the geo/mirror/then combine and merge can u? hasn't worked for me).

Also, then how do I go about creating a smile Right and smile Left, without having to physically remodel the 2?

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Well, I guess there's the paint blenshape weights tool for making a L and R from the original full shape. However, I'm still puzzled as to how you're supposed to create a symetrical smile shape.

Is there a way to mimic the mirroring modelling function in z-brush, without using a duplicate instanced mesh?

Nevermind. I found the Reflection setting in the move tool options. =P

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 09:33 AM
OK, New Problem.

How do you get around the additive properties of blendshape?

For example, if I'm using a smile L and R, and in both versions the center vertice is translated down, then if I use them both to create a full smile, I get a double deformation for that vertice.

How do I fix this? This definitely seems like it would be a problem for the purser shape.

dunkelzahn
05-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Use the Paint Blend shape tool to limit your deformation area of influence?

JakeJK
05-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Find a script called abSymMesh at www.highend3d.com (http://www.highend3d.com)

It allows you to mirror geometry and use at as a blendshape without any problems! It's a great tool!

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the advice and the tool Iceblaster. It's actually pretty neat. =)

I was still having the problem of double additive properties of blendshapes down the center vertices when combining things like the left and right smile or pursers.

Does anyone know of a way, where I can disable the additive property for specific vertices? So I can tell the vertice to not add smile left if smile right is already present.

JakeJK
05-03-2006, 09:49 PM
The way I usually work around that is either by only moving the middle vertecies half the way or don't moove them at all. so if you want it to moove one unit when both right and left smile blendshapes are active, you just moove the vertecies a half unit on each blendshape and when they add up, they will in total moove one unit.

I don't know if that many any sense.. I need some sleep, heh.

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 09:58 PM
It makes sense, but the issue with that is that you will get an uneven transition from the center vertice to the outer ones.

So say u have the center vertice at 0.5 for the L pucker, and all the adjacent vertices at 1. Then you will have an indentation at the center vertice. Then once R pucker kicks in you will get a straight line.

I guess I could just make the center vertice deformation a little less extreme the the extreme pose it would become when both L and R kick in, which is what I think you're getting at IceBlaster. Sounds good in theory, I'll let you know how it turns out. =)

mayakindaguy
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
I was also wondering, if I was making a side lip control with basically 6 target shapes:

Basically North/S/E/W/NW/NE/SW/SE. Will those blend fine in animation or do I need to create an inbetween blendshape so that the transition will not look linear?

Actually, is it necessary to have 8 different targets on a control, or would it be better to just let the computer blend between the main 4?

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2006, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.