PDA

View Full Version : imported item's name?

RonGriswold
05-03-2006, 01:55 AM
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get the name of an item imported using the file command? For example:

file -import "test.obj";

Depending upon the way the .obj file is written the object might be Mesh1 or polySurface1 or a group name or...

Unfortunatly the file command doesn't return this name(s), instead it returns the file name.

Anyone know how to get this info?

Thanks,

ron

jtilden20
05-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Usually when you import a scene or create a reference it selects the objects that you just brought in. Therefore you should just be able to do an `ls -sl` immediately after the import/reference. This is what I usually do... dirty it seems, but thats the only way that I know.

RonGriswold
05-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunatly the item does not seem to be selected when i do an import.

I have found an *extreme* hack to get around it, but its ugly. You can use the -gr and -gn flags to `file` to have the item grouped under a transform that you supply the name for. You can then get to the imported item, unparent it, then delete the group node... ugh.

Segmoria
05-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Sounds like it should do the job.

An even more "extreme" approach would be to store all the objects/nodes in your scene into an array, import a file, store again all the objects/nodes into a new array and then compare those arrays, the difference ofcourse would be the newly imported objects.
But I can only imagine how slow this process can become in scenes packed with many items.

technopriest
05-31-2006, 03:52 PM
your grouping solution is pretty clever.

i use a custom namespace when importing files so that i predict what the name of the imported file will be. the object names in the files i import are always the same as the filename.

lucille
05-31-2006, 04:27 PM
This will return new root level nodes--which is gernerally what I want--
but the same approach could return other imported nodes

string $preImportRootLevelNodes[] = `ls -assemblies`;

//import command

string $postImportRootLevelNodes[] = `ls -assemblies`;

string $importRootLevelNodes[]=stringArrayRemove
($preImportRootLevelNodes,$postImportRootLevelNodes);

RonGriswold
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
lucille, that's perfect! Thank you so much.

ron

CGTalk Moderation
05-31-2006, 08:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.