PDA

View Full Version : first mocap

rkrehe20
05-02-2006, 11:42 PM
i just recently had the opportunity to test drive my schools brand new Motion Capture stage with my teacher, getting to don the suit and also get the basics of how to use the vicon system. my problem is now i dont know what to do with the data i have!

here is a video of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWCk-IFvqRY

i dont know how to make bones out of it! or apply it to a model for that matter. anyone else ever use mocap?

Headless
05-03-2006, 12:39 PM
You look like you've put this into motionbuilder, so you need to go through the motionbuilder tutorials to learn the app. Unfortunately in order to learn how to apply mocap to a character and work with it you pretty much need to learn the whole app. What i'd suggest is you start going through the motionbuilder tutorials that come with the program (they're in a seperate PDF), and pretty much learn everything. You can skip stuff like materials or any complicated constraints stuff, but everything else you'll need to know.

dalmanna
05-03-2006, 02:57 PM
capoeira ay? nice to see some one doing that for a change

doesn't your mocap suit have a program that can convert it to rotational data?

then you can just import it into maya or max. if not then motion builder is your best bet.

just seems a little odd that you've just got a raw mocap file, we have software that you can make the bones in then export whatever you use.

rkrehe20
05-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Axe, yo!

im not sure if the software does...im sure it does, its just that me and my professor and the grad student are all kind of learning it now by trial and error...so...im gonna check out those motion builder tuts and in the mean time get back in the suit

musdogg
05-04-2006, 11:39 AM
hey there :)

im a college student in sydney and i too am studying mocap. id love to be able to help u out with your project except the suit we have is a prosthetic hybrid suit which is quite different to the one you're using....is it an optical suit?

what i can tell u from my experience though is that u have to find out which plug ins your suit has in regards to what modelling program ur using, because in my situation, although we use 3Ds Max 8 at my college, the mocap data needs to be imported into 3d Max 4 first because the suits software is uncompatable with the newer max versions.

hope ur stuff works out cos its some pretty clean data u have there....

ill be posting an animation wip very soon for a project im working on at college which will more then likely use mocap data as well..... hope u can check it out :D

musdogg

rkrehe20
05-04-2006, 06:03 PM
hey there :)

im a college student in sydney and i too am studying mocap. id love to be able to help u out with your project except the suit we have is a prosthetic hybrid suit which is quite different to the one you're using....is it an optical suit?

what i can tell u from my experience though is that u have to find out which plug ins your suit has in regards to what modelling program ur using, because in my situation, although we use 3Ds Max 8 at my college, the mocap data needs to be imported into 3d Max 4 first because the suits software is uncompatable with the newer max versions.

hope ur stuff works out cos its some pretty clean data u have there....

ill be posting an animation wip very soon for a project im working on at college which will more then likely use mocap data as well..... hope u can check it out :D

musdogg

awesome, i hope we can work together no our mocap projects! yes, our system is a vicon 12 camera setup. We use maya almost exclusivley so I have to take the data into motionbuilder from the vicon software. Something tells me that were skipping a step at the end of using the vicon software that would build a skeleton for us as opposed to just giving us data points....I am going to have another session with my professor this weekend, so I will keep you all updated!

musdogg
05-06-2006, 02:29 AM
sweet as man!

looks like we're using completely different tools, im 3d Max n vuppetmaster man n u r vicon n Maya.... it'll be interesting to see the dif outcomes.

iv got an audio session on tuesday with a lecturer of mine to record the script of one of my mocap projects n if that goes super smooth i might be able to get some mocap done as well. it'd be great to get the dif perspectives from the dif tools mate... looking forward to it! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-06-2006, 02:29 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.