PDA

View Full Version : Which Video Card is Better?

tdmack
01-04-2003, 04:42 PM
Okay I have been reading all the posts on video cards here as I am currently going to be purchasing one soon for my new computer. I am on a budget a therfore basically can't afford a high end graphics card made for 3d apps etc etc. blah blah blah. I was leaning toward the ATI Radeon 9000 as i was told it was the biggest bang for the buck, but after reading this forum it would seem that the Geforce4 Ti4200 would be better if you softquadro it. So now i am leaning towards the geforce. Just wanted to get some last opinions before i commit to one. Thanx

Troy :cool:

Grgeon
01-04-2003, 04:57 PM
hey TD,

I'm on a budget too. After reading many threads here, I decided to go with the gforce ti 4200. The thing I don't know about is softquadro? what is it, and how can I make my card softquadro?

George

elvis
01-04-2003, 08:48 PM
if you want to know the in depth workings of softquadro, read this:

http://nvworld.ru/docs/sq4e.html

it is by Unwinder (the author of softquadro) and goes into some very deep but very important detail. i suggest everyone read it start to finish at least once, whether you are a beginner or a seasoned pro.

as you've not doubt heard me mention so many times before, the ATi line of gaming cards are great for games. the radeon 9000 is a great low to mid range 3D accellerator for directx8 gaming. whoever, it won't do so well in your professional 3d applications.

the geforce4ti series obviously isn't as good as your professional cards (costing much more, i might add), but still does fairly well for itself within 3d applications. currently it represents (IMHO at least) the best performance for your dollars if you want both gaming and 3d application performance on a budget.

whatever you do, don't just take my advice. check other forums, read reviews, get as much information as you can before parting with your hard-earned dollars.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.