PDA

View Full Version : Weighting theory and practice

soccerrprp
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
This is probably a topic that has been talked about in nauseum, but can someone direct me to a tutorial or book or any information that goes into detail about weighting characters for animation. For some reason, I would like to know a little more than what I probably need to know.

Ahhh, the pursuit of knowledge for knowledge sake....:wise:

virtualmesh
05-01-2006, 03:48 PM
are you are referring to 'skinning' a single vertex onto multiple bones and then when animating the bones, the vertex follows to a point in 3d space that is shared between the multiple bones which the vertex is skinned to ?

I sometimes take a peek at my weight table when skinning in 3dsmax but never really gave it much thought to where along the bone's length each skinned vertex's position is following.

soccerrprp
05-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Yes, skinning. :)

So, weighting or skinning is not as a PRECISE exercise as one would believe then? As long as you're in the "ballpark" it should enough to avoid tearing, etc?

virtualmesh
05-01-2006, 08:32 PM
topoligy is key when you are concerned about tearing.
many have found that quads are best to work with.

I think that the splines that travel from a single point (vertex) in space (that form the sides of an nGon) should not be below a treshold (such as 10 degrees or so). the smaller the angle is (from a vertex), the greater likelihood your mesh will begin to tear or fold in on itself.

most concern themselves with their spline angles visually, some have even written scripts that check to see if any splines in a model are below a certain threshold and highlight the splines that are below the threshold.

PEN
05-02-2006, 12:01 PM
virtualmesh: is right, have correct topology in the model will help alot, as for learning skinning it is not a stright forward process in any package and take time to learn and get right with any character no mater how well it is modeled. My third DVD covers skinning in great detail so that might help you but the help files that ship with Max should be a great place to start.

virtualmesh
05-02-2006, 02:51 PM
third DVD covers skinning in great detail

will you be making more DVDs?
I've learned a lot on rigging from the first four.

soccerrprp
05-02-2006, 03:06 PM
Paul,

I would imagine that I could easily translate your "techniques" and "rationales" in skinning to any 3D app., correct? I'm using C4D.

Thanks.

PEN
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Well I'm not sure that the skinning DVD would hold up in other packages enough to warrent buying the DVD, I don't know anything about the Skinning in C4D. I know that say in Maya this would only be so good as you don't have stretchy bones, or envelopes for the skinning so many of my processes in Max would be a fair bit different. All of it can be done it is just differnet enough that you should be getting a Maya rigging DVD and not a Max one. That said you will always get something from rigging material done in other packages but you might just have to dig a bit to sort out how to do it in the package that you are using.

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2006, 08:45 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.