PDA

View Full Version : Anatomy Thread of razz - 2D/3D

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

razz
05-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Hello everyone. I've been lurking in the forums for a while now an thought it's about time to show something. Not much, just some sketches from my old sketchbook. Here's some figures which I've drawn while watching Glenn Vilppu's DVD's, just re-drawing actualy:

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/1166/sphericalforms9np.jpg
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/3787/boxforms3ed.jpg
http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/9388/sphericalboxforms7pj.jpg

And some sketches for 15 Minute Sketchathon. Only they were not shown, cause they took me a "little" more than 15 minutes.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5903/sketcheswref3tu.jpg

There's plenty more in the sketchbook, but nothing interesting. Will try to find some time to draw something. Until then..

Rebeccak
05-01-2006, 04:08 PM
razz,

Welcome aboard! :) It's great to see your Anatomy Thread up and running, and you've got a lot of nice work here! :)

It's great that you're working from Vilppu. I think studies from his work tie nicely into studies from artists like Burne Hogarth as well.

Out of curiosity, what is your art training and background? Looking forward to seeing more of your studies!

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

razz
05-02-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey, Rebeccak.

Little about me? My real name is Tautvydas, but call me raz, please. I'm from Lithuania, ~ month ago i became 16. I will finish art school this year, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't teach much there. Speaking about figures, I think i could say I'm self-educated, because we drew very little of those in art school. No anatomy, no nothing...

Ok, for today I'll show you some of my drawings from art school.

This one is from last year:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/2134/nose4di.jpg

This one from this year:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5926/eyes8cq.jpg

And one done yeasterday. Not mine realy, just a re-drawing from a book.

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/5769/neckanatomy1qe.jpg

All for today I think.

Rebeccak
05-02-2006, 03:27 PM
razz,

Really strong, impressive work. :) The eyes of David are particularly striking. It's nice to hear about your background ~ are there good art schools (colleges) in your area where they teach figurative work and principles? I'm impressed that you've done a lot of work on your own. What are your plans for your next phase of study?

~Rebeccak

razz
05-02-2006, 06:49 PM
Thank you for the interest, Rebeccak. I appreciate it.

Well, I know only two art academies in the whole country, but I'm not truly sure if they teach figurative work. The one does, not sure about the other one. It's a small country I live in, not much here. I want to buy some markers, but there aren't any in my town, so I'm waiting for the day when I'll get to the capital city and buy some markers there. It sucks, don't you think?

Next, I think I am going to model David. Yes, the one guys at hardcore modeling challenge are modeling. Will be a great practise for me. But that's 3d. Speaking about 2d, I think I will be redrawing muscles, figures until I become confident enough to draw from imagination. I'll do some drawings from life too. Lots and lots pf drawing awaits =]

You know, Rebeccak, it's a pretty long way for me until I'll finish school, so I think I have time to push my skills and knowledge. So, not wasting any time, here's a sculpture from last year:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/3741/headsculpt6hk.jpg

Tell me what you think, people.

Rebeccak
05-03-2006, 06:10 AM
razz,

Very cool sculpture! Yes, I agree you have a long time. :)

Feel free to post a link here to the modeling challenge, or to post your 3D work here for critique. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Simon
05-04-2006, 10:24 PM
Razz,

I just checked out your thread and I really like your work. It is very strong and it exerts a real confidence.

I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Keep it up! :thumbsup:

Cheers!

Simon

razz
05-05-2006, 05:18 PM
Rebeccak, actualy, the David model I will be making will not be for the challenge. I'll be making it just for myself, to practise, nothing more.

Sproth, glad to hear you like it. I will post more and more pics as soon as i have time to draw or model something.

For now, a model which was done for texturing practise. Unfortunately, no textures yet. Some details added with zbrush, the real model was modeled with maya. There's a little hole in the back, sorry for that =] And a huge sorry for the size.

http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/589/practise8nj.jpg

Rebeccak
05-05-2006, 09:23 PM
Wow, razz, hugely impressive! :) It's quite amazing to see someone of your age so advanced...that's inspiring!

Great stuff so far ~ looking forward to seeing this finished! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

rblitz7
05-05-2006, 09:53 PM
Woah! Im really impressed with the eyes and sculpture. Great job! How are you 16 and already in art college?:curious:

LoTekK
05-05-2006, 10:15 PM
Unbelievably awesome. I absolutely love the pencils of the gymnasts (your 15-minute sketchathon pieces). Great energy and rendering. Fantastic work on the 3D model, too. That you're only 16 just has me drowning in jealousy. :)

razz
05-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Rebeccak, thank you. I hope I will finish it, not much time now. But hey, the night is coming =]

Rblitz, glad you like it. Ah, and I'm not in art college, I just go to art school three time a week after lessons, you know.

LoTekK, thank you for your kind words. I'm really happy you like it.

HUUGE thanks to you all!! Your words keep me drawing and updating this thread.

Now, some studies. I did some master copies yesterday evening. The first one is Raphael's, but i don't know whos the second one, sorry. Please tell me if you know. They are not finished, because i am going to take my Wacom out and draw bones and muscles over them. I need to memorize them, so I think this will help me.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/3409/mastercopy8ly.jpg

Rebeccak
05-07-2006, 05:12 PM
razz,

Great to see these studies! The right figure looks Leonardo~ish, but I'm not sure. :)

Did I point you already to Erich's thread? He has a lot of great master copies there, near 100 of them, toward the back of his thread:

Anatomy Thread of Erich Schreiner (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297560%20)

Definitely check it out if you get the chance. Keep up the good work! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
05-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Thank you, Rebeccak. I watched the thread and though that i really need a book from which I could copy old masters works. I need to go to the library ant find one or two =] Until then, I do have some images saved to my pc, which are waiting to be studied, haha :D

Ok, inspired by Zhuzhu's master copies, here's a study of Morgan Weistling's work:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7524/mastercopyfinished3jy.jpg

Rebeccak
05-09-2006, 03:56 PM
razz,

This is a beautiful piece. :)

I must say that with reference to doing digital pieces, you should be advised that not all colleges look very favorably at all on digital work in portfolios. This is sad, but unfortunately a reality, and I think you have to balance how much digital with how much traditional work you do. When you get closer to college application time, it would not hurt to consult with a counselor from your current school or from an art college you want to go to (assuming you want to go to an art college) and ask what their portfolio requirements are, and whether or not digital work is acceptable. At least for now, it seems that digital work is not looked on very favorably.

Having said that ~ I think you've done a beautiful job with this, and encourage you to explore this further.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
05-09-2006, 05:00 PM
Yes I understand, Rebeccak. It is that CG is not very popural in my country and I truly believe that none colleges here would accept digital works. I was thinking of drawing the same girl in traditional paint, I only need time. Maybe some weekend I'll do it. Further on, I know that I should first get familiar with traditional painting and only then paint digitaly, but as it is similar in some ways, I'm more comfortable with painting digitaly. But as I said, I will do it with traditional paint. Thanks for the encouragement. I'll update the thread as soon as I have something new. It's a pleasure to join you all =]

raz

DigitalSol
05-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Wow, you already have that skills with just 16, congratulations, indeed you are going in the right way, all your work is excellent, but I just blown away for the sculpture and the last paint (beautiful).

umbrellasky
05-12-2006, 03:08 PM
WOW!! Such gorgeous work!! Awsome, beautiful sketches :thumbsup:

SpiritDreamer
05-12-2006, 06:40 PM
Hi....RAZZ ...:thumbsup:
Looks like you have the eye, and the touch....always a winning combination...:)
You might want to start drawing and painting from life also. Maybe a mirror self portrait,
still life composition, city with people ect,...whatever excites your imagination.
What you learn from real life drawing and painting, will improve your didital work and your didital
work will improve your traditional work....cover all the bases, and you can't go wrong...:)

REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR PROGRESS....:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Azabache
05-12-2006, 07:17 PM
You are only 16? WoW!! Congratulations, you are very good!!

I really like your drawings, keep going!! :thumbsup:

Azabache

razz
05-13-2006, 10:25 AM
DigitalSol, thank you. Well, I've got 10 for the sculpture, as it was done at art school. And it wasn't destroyed, but left for other to see as an example. I was happy about that. About the painting, I loooove doing master studies!

Enialadam, glad you like it. Will do more!!

SpiritDreamer, thanks. I am thinking about doing a self-portrait in front of a mirror and I will do one (or much more) when I have time. I would do many life studies, but i don't like drawing at the city, because people go looking and then they start to talk and blah blah, I can't draw that way. So after one time I tried to do that, I'm not thinking about another. But I will do life studies, that's for sure, I just need a quiet place =]

Azabache, of course I will keep going! And never stop :D Thanks for the kind words.

I didn't have much time recently, so this is just a start of a master study. Raphael again. I will post some wips or a finished one next time and of course I'll continue on the ones I've done before (the figures on the first page). Here's the new study of Raphael's work, only a wip:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/3853/sstudywip12um.jpg

demented
05-13-2006, 04:07 PM
You! have amazing talent! love everything here, particularly impressed with the sculpture. The mastercopyfinished painting also looks spectacular. Truly inspiring, can't believe you're only 16. All that remains now is to be be productive prodigy, not a prodigal prodigy.

I'm really amazed - keep inspiring.

- d.

DigitalSol
05-15-2006, 02:40 PM
Hello Razz, I like your last study, my only suggest is to apply some darker areas, something that works good for me, in this class of studies for the hair, is cover almost all with the lower value and then bring up the brights with an eraser, the best way that I know for doing hair is work from dark to light, thats all, great work.

Rebeccak
05-15-2006, 04:11 PM
Lovely work with the Master Study razz. :) The only minor crit I might have would be that the ear may be placed a bit far forward, but I really love the sense of the piece and the sense of presence that the person has. Nice work, it's always good to see your work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
05-16-2006, 06:34 PM
Demented, thanks man! I'm very happy you think so and I'll do the best I can to keep it that way. Again, thank you!!

DigitalSol, thanks for the tip, will try it =] Although i don't think I'll be doing anything with the hair on this study, but I'll sure try that in the future master copies.

Rebeccak, I need critics :P Moved the ear a little backwards. Amazing forum you gave here, many talented artists show their knowledge of anatomy, very inspiring. I guess the thanks go to you =]

Now some bad news. I won't be able to draw anything for two weeks. That's because I have a lot of work to do. So after just finishing that work I will come back to drawing. Fortunately, after about a week I'll post some drawings from my art school, not much, but still something to look at. They will be more like sketches because I'll never have time to finish them. Well, you'll see. For now, a little more on Raphael's study:

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/330/sstudywip20hl.jpg

the_glog
05-17-2006, 11:58 AM
congrats razz i'm fan of your painting and your drawings looks great !!
i personally suggest you to use " dry " pens , like h or 2h , and avoid darker pens or fat pens such as hb or 2b , because drawing with dry pens makes you able to bring the dark zones and the shadow very slowly , and then , to have a great control over your drawing

i also suggest you to divide your drawing in "gray zones" and "gray levels" , lets say four levels and focus on one gray level each . so you'd draw the level 1 all over the drawing , letting a great amount of light then , on zones that are more darker than level 1 , apply the level2 , focus on the frontier between the level 1 2 and so on . this would make you able to add a lot of nuances into your drawing
but here , it's really great , keep going

good luck for all your studies , please keep going :):)

razz
05-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Hey thanks Glog!! I'm very happy that you like it so much. I always use a 2h pencil for my drawings. Only the older drawings which were posted at the very begining of the thread ar draw with a 3b pencil. Damn I almost wrote 3d =] I'll try to do what you're telling, about the levels. But I think it's pretty similar to how I'm doing it now. I do one level over the whole drawing, the define the shadow areas, darker areas. Maybe I just get into detail too soon. Thanks for the comment.

All righty then. Today I've done the work that I needed to do until tuesday. So it means that I'll have some time for studying anatomy! Haha!! But still I have ltos of work. Found some time today and as I said earlier that I'll draw muscles and bones over the master study I've made earlier. Here it is, very sketchy, very fast. Feel free to overpaint, correct my mistakes because I know it's not perfect :P

http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/3835/masterstudiesmuscles6fr.jpg
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/9607/masterstudybones4rs.jpg

razz
05-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Here's the start of David's head model, just for practise. I think I'll do the shoulders and that will be it. It was modeled a week or two ago, no time to model some more now. Sorry no time to render, so just a screenshot. Will do more when I have time.

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/953/davidwip10jf.jpg

se7en-z3r0
05-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Very nice pencil work Razz! They all have a very gentle touch to them, keep it up : )

demented
05-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Yo razz

Divid's head looks sweet dude - you've really done well in getting the Renaissance take on classic sculpture right. Which means you have a modern take on the Renaissance rebirth of Classic sculpture - great.

Love what's happening here - keep cracking at it.

- d.

Rebeccak
05-21-2006, 10:05 PM
razz,

You continue to amaze and impress! Fantastic work, really looking forward to seeing this model of David progress. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
05-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Rebeccak thanks. Yeah, I want to keep on working on it too, but I have no time. So I think there will be nothing new this week...

Demented, well I've really got into studying old masters works. It's great way to practise for me and for everyone else I think. More in the future awaits. Will continue on David's head as soon as I find some time, but as I said, it will not happen this week. Thanks for the kind words.

Se7en-z3r0, the thing I like to do the most - draw =] I love drawing with pencil, I love drawing people. I'm glad you like it.

A crappy drawing from art school, unfinished, but I won't get back to it:

http://img397.imageshack.us/img397/3183/femalehead9wr.jpg

DigitalSol
05-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Hello Razz, I like the last study too, I just have one suggest, the jaw looks a bit big for me, maybe u must to work on that area a little more, the rest is pretty good, hope that helps.

demented
05-24-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey Razz

Last one looks great. Think you can push your values some - it'll create more depth and drama. Great work man - hopefully I'll be cracking at these masterstudies like you are soon. Keep cracking at them! :thumbsup:

cheers,

- d.

Rist
05-24-2006, 05:02 PM
Try finishing the last one, it looks great!

razz
05-30-2006, 08:29 PM
DigitalSol, thanks for the c&c, I appreciate it.

Demented, as I've written above the image, it's not finished, just some fast drawn lines to indicate lighting. Master studies are great!!

Fl3wk, thanks, but no, thanks. I will not try to finish it, because it was drawn from life, and now I have no way to complete it, unless from my imagination, which I think would ruin the whole drawing. So nah, I'll leave it as it is =]

I was gone for some time now because of the works. I'll be busy a few more days and the have a rest. Hopefully will show something new then. Good luck to you all and thank you!

razz
06-02-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey everyone! I've just graduated from an art school today and got a 10 for my graduation dissertation :D But I will be going to the art school for two more years, because I'm insane about art, haha :scream: Now I'm on holiday so you know what that means!! Damn I'm excited :bounce:

DigitalSol
06-02-2006, 09:41 PM
Summerbreak!! :D

Rebeccak
06-02-2006, 10:07 PM
razz,

Congratulations!!! :bounce:That's fantastic, I'm sure you're very proud. :) Hope you have a great vacation!

~Rebeccak

razz
06-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Thanks Rebecca and DigitalSol! Oh, and it's summerbreak :D

About time for me to post something new. Here it is, master study, eh? The one from OFDW_17. Not very lucky with this one.

http://img436.imageshack.us/img436/3125/ofdw179xs.jpg

Rebeccak
06-03-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi razz,

The main thing I would recommend is to use more saturated colors and to tighten the facial proportions ~ the lower half of the face seems a bit long, but can be easily fixed when working digitally.

Try going darker in places such as the background, and using muted rich hues in the face. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
06-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Ok, just a few more strokes. I think I'll leave as it is now. The main thing of painting this was to get the colors nicely and correct. What I've learned - use more saturated ones!! Well, shall try that in the next one :) Few more strokes added to this, let's say, fisnihed, because it's just a speedpaint.

OFDW17:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/7809/ofdw173dd.jpg

demented
06-03-2006, 09:37 PM
Hey razz

In terms of colour - love where this speed paint is and on which route it is lying. Really like that you've played around with some colours to give some dimension and dynamic to his face. Methinks colour is especially essential when working with speedpaints - zhuzhu's works are the pinnacle in this area.

But something that caught my eye is the hand - don't think it's an actual problem though. If you want focus to remain on the face, just a few strokes would have sufficed for the hand. Remember that we (humans) have an immense knowledge of and familarity with the human body, so just a simple suggestion (such as a few well-placed highlights) would convey everything. Drawings are of course not real, and can only suggest something real. As Mentler often warns, don't overstate the obvious. Think this route would have been effective for a speedpaint.

But! I realise this is a mastercopy, and methinks you have handled it very well. Especially like his nose - well done man:thumbsup:. Thanx for posting.

Congrats on graduation dude - enjoy holiday and enjoy art school thereafter!

- d.

razz
06-04-2006, 05:22 PM
Back to Raphael's work study. Finished it. Won't be doing the hands, because there's no place for them on the paper :) And I want to start something new. The old guys looks a bit sick, my fault :D Well here it is, hope you like it, I had fun doing it.

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/9135/sstudyfinished0gc.jpg

Rebeccak
06-05-2006, 05:54 AM
razz,

With respect to your speedpaint, I think you could take it a lot further, but will respect the notion of doing a speedpaint if that's your intention. :)

Your drawing has come along quite nicely! :) One thing I would recommend is allowing your hand / pencil strokes a bit more 'bounce' ~ particularly in the older man's face, some of the lines seem quite stiff which makes it difficult to bring the face to life. I like the way that you are chiseling out the features and thinking of the face in terms of planes, but I think you could take that a step further and add more of the tertiary, smaller planes to soften the major planar areas that you have delineated with your pencil.

Good work, and I look forward to seeing more! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Womball
06-05-2006, 06:34 AM
WOW! The work is very impressive. I wasn't doing this at 16. Is this "art school" sort of like high school? I'm in Art College right now myself. College comes after High school in USA, I'm not sure how it works over there.

razz
06-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Rebeccak, thank you. I will try to push it further, your words just make me do it :D Thanks for the tip on the drawing, will note that in the future studies.

Womball, this art school is just an art school. I go there after lessons just to push my drawing skills a bit :) I didn't even finish school yet, 3 years to go, only then I'll try to enter an academy of arts or something like that. Thanks for dropping by.

Some studies from Burne Hogarth's works. I think it would be better to do them with a softer pencil, but that's just not me, I like my 2H one. These sketches are very fast, so the shading doesn't show the form well. But ahh, I just wanted a quick study, and that's what it is.

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/2269/studiesfromhogarth5ti.jpg

DigitalSol
06-05-2006, 07:15 PM
Hey Razz, some awesome stuff in this thread, really like the Raphael study, and those new studies are great, congrats man, you are in the right way to become in a great artist.

Cyanid
06-08-2006, 11:25 AM
4 stars!
great thread!

razz
06-10-2006, 07:08 PM
DigitalSol, thanks, really makes me happy to hear it :)

Cyanid, oh yeah, I hope to keep it that way, or better of course :D

Today I saw a great book in the library, will go to buy it someday. I was looking for a book with master drawings, but found nothing interesting. The images were very little in the books I've found. But then "Anatomy for the artists" cought my eye :bounce: Whee!! So, I'm hoping to finish today the visualisation I'm doing and get back to studying anatomy. Now for a little time I'll be learning from Vilppu :) Will show some sketches tomorrow if I'll have time.

raz

William GUiLE
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Hey razz, I really like your work! Very dynamic... and the shading is so clean. Gotta get some inspiration from you! :thumbsup:

razz
06-11-2006, 03:44 PM
William, thanks man :D I'm always happy to hear it!

Here's some new stuff. Studies from Vilppu while watching his videos. Upper and lower arm anatomy:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/4325/vilppustudy10zf.jpg
http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/4238/vilppustudy26vm.jpg

razz
06-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Moving further. Studies from Vilppu again. Upper torso.

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/2379/vilppustudy34pw.jpg
http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/249/vilppustudy48sh.jpg

Rebeccak
06-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Hiya razz!

Just got back into town, and am thrilled to see your new work! The Vilppu studies are looking fantastic! Great to see you continuing with your studies. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
06-13-2006, 09:44 PM
Heey, welcome back, Rebeccak. I was wondering where have you gone :) Thanks for the comment. As always, happy to hear it and you know it keeps me moving further.

So, new studies from Vilppu:

http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/541/vilppustudy51vq.jpg
http://img76.imageshack.us/img76/6899/vilppustudy63mu.jpg
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/9417/vilppustudy76mf.jpg
http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6837/vilppustudy81cz.jpg

DigitalSol
06-13-2006, 09:52 PM
Hey Razz great post, I relly like the way you deconstruct the body, I think you do that for a better understatement of it, isn't it?, great studies, BTW did you use any reference or they are from your imagination, in both cases they are great, keep posting :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
06-13-2006, 10:08 PM
razz,

Awesome! You're really starting to talk my language, and it's fantastic to see this work. :)

Which DVD btw are you working from? I am definitely going to have to break down and buy these. Vilppu's influence was really felt at the art school I attended, but I never had his classes. It's great to see it's possible to learn his methodology straight from the master himself. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
06-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Didn't anyone see that I've posted same image twice? :D Ahh, well, nevermind, corrected that.

DigitalSol, thank you. They are not from my imagination as I don't feel confident enough to draw human figure from imagination. They're drawn while watching Vilppu's DVDs. You know, I watch the video and draw at the same time, without pausing it. It's because I'm pretty slow at drawing and it helps me get a little faster =] And yes, these are done to understand the human figure as best as I can. I'm still learning anatomy, memorising it.

Thanks, Rebecca. The DVDs I've watched already are "upper arm anatomy", "lower arm anatomy", "upper torso anatomy" and "pelvis anatomy". The images I've posted at the start of this thread were drawn from "box forms", "cylindrical forms", "spherical forms" and "combining box and cylindrycal forms" if i'm not wrong. Always when I watch his DVD I remember drawings that you've done. The approach is similar. I think Vilppu's DVDs are one of the best resources to learn to draw the human figure. That man is a master!!

I hope more sketches to come soon. Today I've walked all over my city but i couldn't find no sketchbooks I wanted!! So I had to buy an uncomfortable one...It's good that the one I'm drawing at is not coming to an end =]

Womball
06-14-2006, 05:52 PM
These are really good studies! This is what art colleges seem to look for when you try to apply there. Also a hint, don't point out your mistakes, especially in a finished piece. Only do this if you really need to know how to do something.There is always the chance that you will be only person who notices it. I have lowered my grade by making this error. :sad:

razz
06-15-2006, 01:45 PM
Womball, actually I've done similar kind of mistake when i was doing speech presenting my graduation dissertation. But my mark wasn't lowered for that. In fact it wasn't a mistake. When they asked me if I wan't the work to look like this I told that I didn't have enough time for that work, so they might kind of thought that it's unfinished or something. But then I corrected myself that I wanted it to look like that. Yeah, everyone laughed =] Still I got the best mark, so I don't mind it, but it was a good lesson to me. Thanks for dropping by :)

New stuff. Upper leg anatomy, again from Vilppu. I've got lower leg anatomy, feet anatomy and neck anatomy left, then I'll be doing lots of master studies, drawings/paintings from photos and maybe even drawings from imagination if I feel confident enough.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1280/vilppustudy113wq.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/4292/vilppustudy90kj.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1961/vilppustudy105oo.jpg

SpiritDreamer
06-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Hi....Razz....:)

REALLY ENJOYING YOUR THREAD and STUDIES....GREAT JOB...:applause: :thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

razz
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
Thanks man! :D

Studies from Vilppu, feet anatomy. Really hard to draw these without stopping the video, all of it was done in ~1 and 1/2 hours. The upper leg studies too. Pheew!

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/941/vilppustudy128wf.jpg
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/1543/vilppustudy132pp.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/6054/vilppustudy146pn.jpg

DigitalSol
06-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Hey Razz you are doing some amazing work with your studies, the feet ones, really are good, I love the way you decostruct the things, your trace is taking a personal razz feeling, good work BTW, where do you got those dvd's?

Rebeccak
06-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by razz: Always when I watch his DVD I remember drawings that you've done. The approach is similar. I think Vilppu's DVDs are one of the best resources to learn to draw the human figure. That man is a master!!
Thanks for that razz! Vilppu is indeed a master and I hope to be as good as he is one day very far from now. ;) I will definitely be looking into purchasing the videos. It's great to see your work!

~Rebeccak

razz
06-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Hey thanks, DigitalSol :) About the DVDs, I got them from a friend, but if you're interested you could visit http://www.vilppustudio.com/ and look around there. Rebecca has been posting this link in some threads as a resource for figure drawing, so you might have seen it already.

Rebecca, you won't make a mistake by purchasing the DVDs!

Now, the painting for OFDW-17. Don't know if it's finished or not. Since the master's drawing is very loose/sketchy I don't want to make my study of it very clean. So, kind of finished =]

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/2162/ofdw176ju.jpg

Thomasphoenix
06-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Razz,
The Vilppu studies are Fantastic! Great proportion and terrific observation! Im sure Villpu would be glad if he saw your studies!:thumbsup:

razz
06-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Thomasphoenix, thanks! I hope he would :D You're thread rocks! :thumbsup:

Ok, what else if not studies from Vilppu again? :bounce:Another hour of learning from the master.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/6134/vilppustudy167ec.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3420/vilppustudy179lj.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8875/vilppustudy153of.jpg

FateBringer
06-17-2006, 03:48 PM
nice Vilppu studies, cann't wait to start some myself,but have to wait another week for my book to be shippped.

Mark

Rebeccak
06-17-2006, 03:49 PM
razz,

That top study of the neck in particular is gorgeous! :thumbsup: Keep inspiring!

~Rebeccak

BNN
06-18-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi razz! Rebeccak showed me the way to your thread!

Very nice studies man! I'm studying Hogarth's currently. Very interested in Vilppu's work too!
Wow wow.. more please =D

Anyway do give me pointers ok?

Cheers

Rist
06-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Hi razz.

Some of your studies seem veeery familiar! Great take on how to learn them. Check out my reply to your post on my thread, it might be of some use.

razz
06-19-2006, 09:14 AM
FateBringer, it's worth the wait, you won't be dissapointed :)

Rebecca, thanks, I'll do my best :D

BNN, great, more people seem to have found Vilppu and will start studying from his works. What I can say now, is if you watch the dvds, draw what you see, helps to memorise better. Vilppu presents everything very clear, you just have to remember it :) Good luck with your studies.

Fl3wk, yeah I've read it already. Didn't know you were redoing all your studies, than of course there's no need to do it again traditionally. Maybe later I'll need to do the same...

No new studies now...maybe later :)

SpiritDreamer
06-19-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi....RAZZ....jUST STOPPED BY TO SAY....:thumbsup: ......GREAT STUDIES....:applause:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

razz
06-21-2006, 07:49 PM
SpiritDreamer, thank YOU!!

Now, first sketch from imagination after all these studies. Still extremely hard, does it even look right? This is a character sketch for a contest I'm in. The topic is "HERO". This guy will have clothes for sure, but I just wanted to know that everything beneath them is correct. So, any suggestions?

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/9374/herosketch1tp.jpg

BNN
06-21-2006, 08:14 PM
Wow

The studies really made so much progress for you!!!

Confident lines i must say!

My only nitpick might be that the torso is tad too long? And the face can be a little longer? Perhaps lower the jaw.

Good job anyway!!!

=D

razz
06-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Maaan, now I can't look what I've drawn here. Must...study...more...!!

Thanks, BNN. But I think I'll try to do more sketches of a character. So, erm, back to drawing..

Rebeccak
06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
razz,

I made a few adjustments to your drawing, and, while not perfect, I think improves the drawing a little bit: :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/Anatomy%20Thread%20of%20razz/razz_Review-01.gif

One thing that Vilppu will constantly stress is that it's not strictly about Anatomy ~ it's about knowing Structure, and simple rules for how to put things together with the figure. This is just one step on a long road! It's very good to see your progress. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
06-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Big thanks, Rebecca. I don't know if I'll try to push this figure more further. I'll try to make new ideas for that contest and draw better figures of course! Vilppu is much harder than it might look. Well, anatomy is damn hard! But I want to draw from my imagination for this contest so I think I'll be doing figures from Imagination for a few weeks or more. Depends on how well will it go. Still, I've learned a real lot from Vilppu. Be happy that you didn't see my earlier figure drawings from imagination :D

Thanks for the support, it keeps me going!

razz
06-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, long time no see. Decided to reaaally get back to studying, because drawing from imagination didn't quite work well...haha. Now I'll be doing studies from a book "Anatomy for the Artist" by Sarah Simblet and I'll do some master studies of course (Vilppu preferably :D). I've seen some studies from that book in other thread here somewhere. Will check it out again.

A side view for now. Front and back coming soon enough!

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/3138/anat4artiststudy17tq.jpg

Jokinen
06-27-2006, 12:29 AM
Amazing work here Razz! I really love your anatomy studies :) Keep it up! I'll be watching!

See you around!
-Juhani

demented
06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Yo Razz

Damn - haven't been here in a while, and you're a freakin rocket. Great studies man, good to see the entire body mapped out, not just a specific area. need to get round to that. awesome progress dude, keep at it. cheers!

- d.

DigitalSol
06-27-2006, 10:15 PM
I see great progress on your work, the linework is very satble and solid it seems that the confidence is attemped, just stopped for some cheers, I love the last anatomy piece, keep on the good job!! :thumbsup:

erilaz
06-28-2006, 12:58 AM
Mmmm... muscley. :D Great strong lines. I like how they pop.

FateBringer
06-28-2006, 03:38 AM
Wow great studies
I'll have to get on the ball to keep up with you!
keep it up:thumbsup:

Mark

razz
06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Anthriel, glad you like, I'll keep doing them :D

Demented, thanks. Vilppu's studies helped a lot for me. And yes, at last decided to do an entire body, because I went through every part. Ok ok, there's lower leg anatomy left :) but now I'll be doing more full figure studies. So, I hope you'll like them.

DigitalSol, well I am getting a little more confident, but still a lot of work to do. Many studies await! I think it'll be good to draw figures from imagination from time to time to see how much I've progressed. Thanks for dropping by :bounce:

Erilaz, yeah it has to be muscley :D No stick figures!

FateBringer, just keep on doing those studies yourself! Well, at least I'm not thinking of stopping :) So just you wait!

I'll be watching all of you!!

Decided to show some 3d stuff I've been working on when I had time and, erm, when I wanted to do them :)

Zbrush exercise. Actually it should be a texturing practise, maybe someday it will. I think there's a start of zbrushing this model on the first page of this thread.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5610/wipman1ty.jpg

And back to David. Done the start of the body, will be tweaking it a lot!! Just as the face. But just to show you how it looks now, so later you could see before and after.

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/8137/davidfacewip21nm.jpg
http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/4286/davidbodywip18fs.jpg

demented
06-28-2006, 10:29 AM
Hey razz

the z-brush stuff is amazing!! really love both man. especially the texture on the older guy's face, thats awesome. Man, wish I could handle 3d the way you do. thanx for sharing man.

cheers!

- d.

razz
06-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Demented, heyy, thanks! Everyrhing needs practising, that is all. To tell the truth, it's the second time I've used zbrush. The first was the same head, you can see how it looked on the first page. So hopefully I'll have time to practise with zbrush more. Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it.

The first head for the Anatomy Lesson Series. I'm really not happy about the shading I've done. So I call it finished, although there could be more work done. I tried a little different way to shade it, no luck. I'll do all the heads with traditional media (pencils) to practise my shading and of course anatomy. So 1/50. Oh, I don't know if I'll draw all 50 heads, but I'll try.

Reference for this one is 47th.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9660/anatlessonseries15xo.jpg

Rebeccak
06-29-2006, 04:43 PM
razz,

It will be interesting to see a perfectionist such as you tackle the 50 portraits thread...I think the challenge for you will mainly be not to render things to perfection. :)

Just amazing stuff with ZBrush, you continually impress! Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Armians
06-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Yo, raz
Just finished looking (and reading) all this thread from the begginnig, and must say... WOW! :bounce: I didn't thought that you're so good at drowing! Hope I'll draw like YOU someday :cry: Respect! :thumbsup:

cok3
06-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Hey razz, just droppin by. This is good lookin stuff. ITs nice that ur mixing the studies with both 3d and 2d. Hope to see some more zbrushin stuff, maybe we can share tips, cuz i'm learnin the program myself.

razz
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
Rebecca, thanks, I'll try not to :D This forum really keeps me on track. Amazing workshop you've done here, I'll have to be pretty fast to draw all 50 heads. You know, I really like to render out, but now that takes too much time. I must become faster! :lightbulb

Armians, thanks. All you need is practising. get some anatomy books, do master copies. Draw some simple objects too. Observe what's around you :)

Cok, you know, zbrush is still a deep forest to me. We'll see how it goes.

Edit: forgot to post an image.

Second head. Took me somewhere between 30min. - 1h. No shading this time! Oh, and the ref for this one is 86th.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7504/anatlessonseries28jk.jpg

razz
06-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Mhm, I may need to shade the second one, cause I pretty much like the ref picture (the sculpture). But that's later if I'll decide to do it. Now, the very start of the other two. Spent 30min. overall. Just thought I'd post some steps...They look pretty similar, so that's why they're on the same page :)

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/3807/anatlessonseries3wip4ei.jpg

razz
07-01-2006, 05:57 PM
The 3rd and the 4th are finished. Well, not really, but let it be :D Refs 71st and 2nd.

http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/7540/anatlessonseries31rv.jpg

Armians
07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow! Your heads are very imressive! Keep inspiring me! :bounce:

Thomasphoenix
07-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Great construction on the last two figure Razz.The Guy with Long hair is also good,you might want to work the lips and chin a bit more !

Cheers

Womball
07-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Really nice work razz! You may want to try the 2b pencil. Your lines are kind of hard to see and you can get a very impressive verity of line quality with softer pencils. The problem with the H pencil is it scratches up the page and is not a good way of shading (would take forever!). Its great for doing technical drawings and laying out the ground linework though. Also the H doesn't not work well when you work with layers of paper on a light table. I know this animation related but, sometimes you have to do tracing of linework for paintings. What you may want to try is adding darker lines to shadow regions with the 2b pencil. This would make your drawing pop more. And it shouldn't add much to drawing time except B's require more sharpening.

Rebeccak
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
razz,

Great stuff! The 3rd and 4th especially are charming. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of your pieces! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
07-02-2006, 02:05 PM
Armians, thanks, I'll try :arteest:

Thomasphoenix, hehe, I think all of the 4 heads need work. Because I really want to practise my shading...Thanks for dropping by :)

Womball, yeah, I had trouble making darkest darks with a 2H pencil. It just doesn't go very dark and that's not very good. But I add them with a mechanical pencil. Of course no mechanical pencil used for these heads. I have to experiment with both, mechanical and some B pencils. Thanks for the tip.

Rebecca, thank you. I'm trying to draw at least 2 heads a day, so expect to see some more :)

The 5th head. Actually just an experiment with shading with different pencils. I think the difference is seen. I would be thankful if someone could point me to some artworks with great shading. I need to practise that cause i don't like the result I've got here :banghead:

http://img468.imageshack.us/img468/3391/anatlessonseries56oj.jpg

Rebeccak
07-02-2006, 04:34 PM
razz,

If you really want to be driven mad by an artist who was a master of shading with pencil, then take a look at Ingres: :)

http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/showcases/techniques/gallery/gallery_640/gallery_images_640/NGC_.6144.640.jpg

http://www.michaelnewberry.com/studioupdate/2003-06/ingres_artist_wife.jpg

>>Large Image Link<< (http://www.cameralucida.org.uk/images/large/knowledge/Ingres2.gif)

You can see Ingres' influence in the work of Degas:

http://images.forbes.com/images/2001/05/16/con_degas_400x342.jpg

There are better examples, but I think you will definitely love his work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
07-02-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks a bunch, Rebecca!! I've ran through their galleries and saved images to my hard drive. When I'll come to shading I'll have great examples. And you've reminded me of another great site where I found many great drawings too. So, practise practise practise for me :arteest:

razz
07-03-2006, 06:49 PM
Ref 72. 6/50

http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/2348/anatlessonseries67eh.jpg

BNN
07-03-2006, 06:54 PM
Whoa RAZZ!

Your shadings getting powerful!

Love the stroke you have in there! Excellent dude! =D

Mal-1
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
Razz really fantastic pencil work...outstanding!

demented
07-03-2006, 08:08 PM
Yo razz

thanx for posting in my sb again.

Man, I don't come here often enough. awesome work, amazing pencil shading man, your graphite simply rocks. Makes me want to take a pencil and draw.

Making amazing progress here dude, keep at it and you be the Welsey Burt of your day.
ciao!

- d.

Rebeccak
07-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Lovely work as always, razz. You're definitely blazing a trail. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
07-04-2006, 08:05 PM
BNN, I hope it does. Will be practising a lot for sure!

Mal, I'm happy you like it. Amazing pieces at you've done yourself :thumbsup:

Demented, where were you when I asked for examples of great shading? Wesley Burt rocks! I've found his gallery and watched everything there. I think I'll be doing some of his work studies after nailing those 50 heads. Thanks!

Rebecca, not much time really. I'd like to finish every head I've started here, but I think I could come back after doing all 50. Then again, after that I'd better do some new ones. This workshop is great! More practise awaits even after it's finished :)

The 7th and 8th with some fast shading:

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/2616/anatlessonseries780fp.jpg

demented
07-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Always a pleasure Razz. Careful however razz, I've made some tiny studies and Wes has some wierd ways. Often you'll find that the direction of his hatching desribes form in unexpected ways, such as going along an arm instead of around it as usual. Often, though it helps to describe form, he uses his hatching as a compositional element, using it to bring the form out of the page. He's an amazing artist to take a look at, and even though I think he can also be confusing sometimes, I think you'll do great by studying his works some.

On these last ones - awesome work razz! Makes me want to redo the apostel - your version makes it three versions that totally kick my ass (of which I know). Besides, Doctor Bone himself said it's advised to do each master copy a few times to make it stick.

Your pencil work is very inspiring, it really makes me want to go and draw. Good luck with Mr. Wes Burt, looking forward to you studying him after these 50 heads. Another artist you might want to take a look at is Marko Djurdjevic - don't know if you are familiar with him. Probably equals Wes in terms of talent, but enjoys his comics a lot more!

Here are links to two of his threads at CA, the second one being my favourite.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=62701

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68188

this is a link to sketchbook of Mr. Wes, also over at CA. posted this one as I'm not sure all these are in his gallery (might be wrong though)

Enjoy!

hope that helps some more,

cheers!

- d.

razz
07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Demented, yup, that helps a lot, thank you. Of course I know Marko Djurdjevic, amazing work he does. All guys from Massive Black are insane in a god way :) I think I'll have more works to study from after finishing these heads. Oh man I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for stipping by, I appreciate it. Oh btw, I think you've forgotten to post a link to Burt's thread at CA, cause now there's just 2 Marko's threads. And you know I'd like to see more works from Burt! Strange that I couldn't find his thread on CA, I was looking. Maybe not good enough...

9th & 10th. Tried something new, just for fun, not what I'm aiming for. And I have an idea. The others heads I'll draw should be more interesting to look at.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6835/anatlessonseries9107jn.jpg

Cyanid
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
hey razz, nice headstudy's, keep it up!

demented
07-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Hey razz

awesome work - really liking your line, capturing these very well.

sorry, here's the link to wes' thread at ca:

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69720

awesome work - much better than the last stuff I saw in his gallery, imo. There's a lot on page 1 of this thread, but there are also some stuff on page 2 I think. unfortunately he doen't seem to be updating this one...

Also be sure to take a good look at Ingre as Rebecca advised. He along with the few other dudes are the farthers of today's drawings, and it may be easier to learn from him than the stylised Wes.

anyways, keep up this astounding work, cheers!

- d.

Rebeccak
07-06-2006, 08:32 AM
razz,

I particularly like the 7th and 8th drawings, where you've gotten more life into the drawings by shading a bit more quickly. :) Nice to see your progress, as always!

~Rebeccak

razz
07-06-2006, 05:56 PM
Cyanid, thanks mate! Will keep working, many more to go! :arteest:

Demented, thanks for the link, amazing stuff Wes does...Yeah I've looked through all of Ingres gallery too. I think I'll have enough works to study from. Thanks again for the help :)

Rebecca, well i thought of one thing...I think it's better to do a fast shading on all the head, then shade only the eye or nose or lips,...The feeling is different that way. I think when I'll be nearly done with the whole 49 heads, I'll experiment with the 50th a bit with how it looks. Well, ehm, you'll see if I won't forget it 'till that time :D

Fivesome! Only 35 to go! Ehm, only...Maybe I should have watched the perspective when doing these five. The heads that are farther should be smaller, but these studies are not about that, are they? :)

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8792/anatlessonseries11152kq.jpg

FateBringer
07-07-2006, 12:33 AM
some great headstudies you got here:thumbsup: i'll be looking here for help with my cross hatching.
really like how you arranged the last five. excellent work.

Mark

razz
07-08-2006, 09:26 PM
FateBringer, thanks :) I really wish I would have shaded those five, the view would be much better. But,..no time for that. Hmm, I really got into cross-hatching when doing these...Come here any time, I could use some tips as well :arteest:

3 heads for today:

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/8066/anatlessonseries16184oc.jpg

demented
07-09-2006, 09:37 AM
Hey Razz

Really like your layouts. If the composition and layout of a page is interesting we often assume that which is on the page is also interesting. It warants more attention. Great work on these, awesome line you've got going there. Really like what you're doing with that pencil of yours - awesome work. Apart from the fact that I would have liked to seem more of these shaded, I can't give any crits. Your shading will get tighter and better as you go along, but right now you're on the perfect right track. hope to see more soon,

ciao

- d.

Rebeccak
07-10-2006, 05:59 AM
Really lovely work razz, your work always inspires! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

razz
07-10-2006, 02:42 PM
Demented, thanks, mate. I would try to do more shaded heads, but I don't have enough time ot do that. And I have something different decided with the other heads. Still, this is a perfect practise :bounce:

Rebecca, thank you :)

Two more heads. 19th and 20th. When I'll reach 25, I think I'll do the next half digitally. Something I have to practise a lot too.

http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/4503/anatlessonseries19203xr.jpg

razz
07-11-2006, 08:55 PM
Another 2

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/7820/anatlessonseries21224zb.jpg

razz
07-12-2006, 05:44 PM
Decided to jump to the digital ones. Done one today. Not sure if I'll make it with all 50. This is 23rd I think. Almost half way.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9021/23rdhead2rd.jpg

gilgamesh828
07-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I was checking out your thread and there's some great work here! Love the Weistling study and the Vilppu sketches. I really MUST MUST get back to my figure drawing. How do you like Vilppu's instructional DVDs? I've met him many times, even did a website for him about 6-7 years ago, but never had the opportunity to study directly with him. He's a true living master.

Keep up the study -- it's really astounding to see how much regular practice shows up as improvement in the work just from page to page in these threads!

Cheers -

-=gilgamesh

BNN
07-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Great progress man razz!

I'm still on my 14th!
Need to buck up =x

More more! =D

razz
07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Gilgamesh, glad you like it. If you haven't already, you should really get your hands over Vilppu's dvds, they're really worth a look. I liked watching them a lot. Thanks for visiting here :)

BNN, thanks. Well, I've written the answer to this in your thread. So, remmeber that it's quality that matters. Now go :arteest:

No heads today, no nothing. I got some work to do, migh take some days. Oh wait I have something. This is a model I've done a few days ago. Folowed the gnomon DVD. I might need to make that kind of models, so decided to learn a bit about low-poly modeling.

Somewhere around 1100 polygons.

http://img331.imageshack.us/img331/8540/lowpolycharwip18ir.jpg

demented
07-14-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey razz

haven't been here for too long. Awesome workz you have going here mate, Got some amazing detail into that low poly model, looks really good for something so low on resources. Low polygon modeling can become very difficult, and I have never been able to do anything close to this with polys.

head 23 (the coloured one) looks amazing man, really well done with replicating that one. And your pencil rocks.

awesome work, keep at it bro.

- d.

razz
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Oh my, I've been gone for quite a while...

Demented, thanks. I've seen great improvement on your side, you have a lovely thread of your own. I'm watching it!

Here's something I've done. 24th head and the finished low poly model (followed a gnomon dvd). I need lots of practise on painting...

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7430/anatlessonseries24oj1.jpg
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/831/lowpolycharkz4.jpg

claybub
07-19-2006, 09:28 PM
wow nice work! I especially like your drawings, excellent studies! :thumbsup: The zbrush/3d work is coming along nicely too. :) I really like your paintings too, nice colors.

cheers

-caleb

demented
07-19-2006, 09:45 PM
Wasup razz

That painting looks excellent mate, really getting the geometry to flow, developing a nice sculptural quality. And that 3d character is amazing. never done 3d like that - how high is the polygon count on that one? Some stunning details in there.

ciao dude!

- d.

razz
07-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Claybub, thanks for dropping by! I think it's obvious that I'm trying to push all my skills. 2d, 3d, sculpting, traditional drawing. When the school starts (hopefully the holidays will be long) I think I'll be able to show some sculpted heads and traditional paintings. Oh man I'll be doin everything at once...

Demented, glad to see you visiting my thread often :) I'm not really happy about that painting, I think I could have done it better. But then again, experience comes with practising, right? That low poly character has 2297 faces, which is 3869 tris. I could be adding detail to 5000 tris, but there's no need for that. Now I'll map this character folowing gnomon dvd and that will be it. I'm not into doing works from tutorials. Only for learning purposes. After this I think I'll draw a concept of my own character and maybe try creating a low poly model with normal maps. This way I'll get to create a high poly model too. Well, I hope I'll manage to do all this...

Half way done. Maybe I'll reach 30 until the end of this workshop. But I'm more or less happy with the ones I've painted. I should've done that from the beggining. I mean drawing/painting a face until I like to look at it, not making as many as I can and the hate them all...

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/1193/anatlessonseries25ks2.jpg

Rebeccak
07-21-2006, 05:42 AM
razz,

Really loving the looseness of this last piece. :) A pleasure to see you exploring different directions. Definitely looking forward to your updates, and it's also great to see how active you've been with posting to others' Anatomy Threads ~ thanks! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Nothingness
07-21-2006, 12:30 PM
hey razz,

amazing work, really ! :thumbsup:

tha last two colored digital paintings are amazing. These ones are the inspiration for me to try out artrage and do some more painting. The way you capture the light is just awsome.

I was just wondering if you could enlighten some info on your muscle studies? I really like to know if it's from reference or from knowledge (from inside the head)?
I am wondering if it would be possible to study anatomy in a way that you can generate an image of a body in sertain position from scratch with an interesting muscle structure!
I'm interested in learning comics-slyle and the ability to do great concept. But it starts at great anatomy and it is just too hard to find the correct reference.

But enough talk, i should study some instead ;-)

see ya

SpiritDreamer
07-21-2006, 01:48 PM
Hi....RAZZ....:)

Just stopping by to tell you that I really like that last painting...nice expressive brushstrokes,
colors are also nice and fresh.....you captured a great mood there:applause: ....GREAT PROGRESS, in a short time....really looking forward to seeing more....:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

krispee
07-22-2006, 03:22 PM
hi razz
really enjoyed surfing through your thread, some really lovely work here, especially liked your old master studies, beautiful hatch shading on some of those.....your digi stuff is really coming along nicely and you have some very nice 3d models, a real alrounder :thumbsup: ......

krispee

Intervain
07-22-2006, 04:29 PM
awesome work!!! I really like how u use purple rather than black in your paintings:thumbsup:

razz
07-23-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm glad you are all enjoying my work! There's a festival at my town, so I had no chance to sit and draw/paint/model anything. I had no chance to reply too. The festival is still there but I'm not going there today. And I'll have lots of time the upcoming week for everything, so I hope to add many updates.

Rebecca, it's a pretty similar approach but yeah, I tried doing it a faster and more loose way. And I'm happy with the result, only the colors are off in my opinion. I have to work that out in my future paintings...No need to thank me for replying to others people threads. I do need inspiration now, because I'm hoping to finally create something of my own and see how much I've learned :)

Nothingness, you should really try painting, very fun way to learn :) About the muscle studies, all I've done were some studies of Loomis books and the studies you can find in my thread. The ones I liked doing the most were studies from Vilppu's DVD (http://www.vilppustudio.com/). He's a true living master! And also studies from old masters are very helpful. I think that it's much better to study from photos, master's works than trying to draw from imagination instead. Because you'll learn more that way. But I'm in no way saying that it's bad to do drawings from imagination for learning. When you feel confident enough, do it!

SpiritDreamer, thank you. I'm trying to learn with every painting, drawing or model I do. Trying not to waste anything. I'm very keen in creating my own work and I'll try to do something one of these days. Not sure how it will work out but I'm interested in what I can do by myself, without copying master's works :)

Krispee, not so long ago I've noticed that myself :D I'm doing many things...drawing, painting, sculpting, modeling. Which include traditional and digital. That's a lot of stuff but it's just the way it is. Everything helps to learn more about human anatomy in it's own way. But the main goal for me now is drawing and painting. Both digital and traditional.

Intervain, I never use black. At least I try not to. As my painting teacher told me "there's no black color in nature". And really, there isn't. So I use a dark shade of desired color, not black :)

I want to thank everyone for stopping by and commenting. It makes me happy that people like what I do. Thanks you!

razz
07-24-2006, 02:49 PM
This will be 26th...Almost 50, eh? :D

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/1605/anatlessonseries26cx7.jpg

Nothingness
07-24-2006, 02:56 PM
you're over halfway Razz !!! :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause::applause: :applause: :applause:

krispee
07-24-2006, 04:44 PM
But the main goal for me now is drawing and painting. Both digital and traditional

me too, Razz......got to keep it simple sometimes don`t you......

nice last head, good form, you could saturate the colours a bit more if you wanted and get away with that, but it looks good as is...that`s 26 so i`m sure you`ll make it, i`m a slacker so i may not make even 10 lol, me bad! :shrug:

kris

Jho
07-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Nice #065 there, really good!
This anatomy thread is also very impressive, can't think anything other to say thank awesome work, keep it up!

Rebeccak
07-25-2006, 04:52 AM
razz,

Really love the looseness of this last piece, it seems to come as a second nature to you. :) I like how the colors intermix nicely with one another, the neutral palette you've used seems to have come together quite effortlessly. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

demented
07-26-2006, 10:36 PM
Agreeing with Rebecca razz, definitely feeling very natural, second nature. Love that looseness, another thing I need to work on. Last to faces, all in all, have been caotured beautifully! Stars for you mate!

ciao

- d.

razz
07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
Nothingness, add that I'm only over halfway and very far from 50 and that will be it :)

Krispee, colors are hard! Must remember...more saturation...needed! Mhm, I think I would've done more heads, but it was so hot I couldn't paint or draw because my hands were sticking to the table/tablet. Meh, or I'm a slacker too.

Jho, I'm trying :) With each new painting I learn something new and feel that I can do the other one better. It's always exciting!!

Rebecca, a speedpaint has to be a speedpaint. I found this style the best for me. It's a lot like painting in reality. Just puting colors and mixing them together. The loosenes, yes, I start very loose and as it's not a finished panting but a speedpaint it's still pretty loose. Still trying to get the hang of colors, you see, I need more saturated ones! I've heard that before...

Demented, these painted head were a blast to me. I've found the style I like and now I'm trying o get more skillful with it. Before these head I haven't painted much. Everything can be found in my thread. So you see, I'm pretty much a starter. I'm glad you like them :)

Big thanks to everyone for kind words, I appreciate it very much, it means a lot. Thank you.

I didn't make it in time with this one. Started it yesterday, but I was very tired all day, so I finished it today.

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/8751/anatlessonseries27tv0.jpg

razz
07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Study from Wes Burt. The paper i was drawing this sucks. It's like a writing paper, very very thin, I hate it!! I was looking for a sketchbook of that kind that I ha before, but couldn't find no. I couldn't find no sketchbooks. Damn I'm geting angry. Here's the study :)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/1315/wesburtstudy1fj4.jpg

erilaz
07-29-2006, 01:50 AM
I saw the picture before I read your post, and I picked the Wes immediately! Well done on capturing his style. He's probably the best character artist i've ever had the pleasure of seeing work.

demented
07-29-2006, 07:27 AM
Sup Razz - Killer Wes study mate, immediately recognised it - it was still loading up and I knew: very well done! Now you can see - it's the type shading on the tall guy's right arm that freaks me out most - it's going along the form, not accross it... it's not showing it's round but the arm still reads round....

Amazing study, should probably get into doing some myself.... excellent job, have a buncha stars.

ciao!

- d.

krispee
07-29-2006, 08:15 AM
love that last study, perhaps thats an area you could move into.....i hate thin paper as well, horrible stuff.....

kris

razz
07-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Erilaz, yay, I love that kind of style! very fun to draw that way, only that I have a looong way to be able to do what Wes does. Hopefuly, some day...

Demented, if you like his style (and I assume you do) you should really do some studies of his work. But yeah, it's really tricky. About that thing that freaks you out most. Yes, the shading goes along the form, but it goes across the form too. It's very mixed, the shading goes all ways (see the lowest guy's eye). He has a very unique style, he really knows how to shade to get great results. Many people tend to shade all around, but all they get is "hay". It doesn't look good that way. Wes is something different and I'll sure be studying more from his work from time to time.

Krispee, I thought of doing shading studies after 50 heads, but then I thought that it would be better to know anatomy better :) So for know some muscles and bones, laters when I come to the point of doing master copies or drawing from ref, I'll make sure to wtch the shading. Wes's style!!

Study from the book "anatomy for artists" by Sarah Simblet (the middle line of this guy has gone for walk :banghead: )

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6565/anat4artiststudyxk2.jpg

erilaz
07-29-2006, 01:35 PM
That is gorgeous razz. Really nice lines going on there.

se7en-z3r0
07-29-2006, 01:58 PM
Dude the WB study looks great! Newest piece as well. Keep at it man.

razz
07-30-2006, 09:03 AM
Erilaz, thank you. Only one thing I don't like is that jumping through styles. Now I really want to stay with one shading style and that is the one you see in Wes's study. I'll try working on that with my other drawings.

Se7en-z3r0, thanks, glad you like it. Learning learning, it's fun :) Will sure be making more WB studies.

Continued with the studies:

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7249/anat4artiststudy3sw4.jpg

Intervain
07-30-2006, 09:13 AM
really nice anatomy studies - lots of patience there *hat off* I always admire that quality with 2d :)

really like that study from Burt!

Womball
07-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Fantastic anatomy studys! Some minor issues with the front view, you have 10 abdomnial rectus muscles rather than 8. Also the straight lines on the pecs kind of counteract the curve lines you have throughout your drawing. They kind of stick out a bit, I think they could be curved a bit. I'm going to have to take a look at your back drawing again, since you make the pelvis and the muscles attached to it obvious.

Congrats on the good rating too!

minda
08-01-2006, 08:32 PM
sweet baby jesus, what a progress ! :] nice , keep it up

razz
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
Intervain, thanks. Well, these anatomy studies don't take long to draw. I draw the gesture with a hard pencil and the fix everything up with a mechanical pencil. Pretty fast :)

Womball, thanks for the crits. Always appreciate good crits. The rectus abdominis muscles might not have been seperated lower the waste in the drawing in the book. Thanks for correctint, now I'll memorise this veeery well you know :)

Minda, well glad to see you here! How did you find me? :D You're move on 2d was more than I thought it would be. Great going yourself.

Updates! The first one is the new Wes's study and the second one is an older one Puddnhead's study.

http://img463.imageshack.us/img463/4610/wesburtstudy2vg2.jpg
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4494/puddnheadstudy1vk5.jpg

razz
08-04-2006, 12:25 PM
I was doing some anatomy studies, but they're not worth showing. They're very fast, just for me to remember bones and muscles. I think now I'll be doing studies for each part of the human body. Like eyes, nose, lips, torso, pelvis and so on...Let's each two pages of each.

But for now, here's some very fast studies from Vilppu:

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/1824/vilppustudy18np2.jpg
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/5369/vilppustudy19lq9.jpg

EDIT: Hey, and a big thanks to those who gave me this rating, I appreciate a lot. Does it mean that I don't suck that much? :rolleyes:

demented
08-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Wicked! Love the Wes and Puddnhead studies mate - really killer! The way you handle pencil is simply amazing razz - i'm jealous. So much life and energy in these drawings, really inspiring stuff. Keep posting buddy, can't wait to see some of your own stuff too!

ciao!

- d.

Rebeccak
08-05-2006, 02:47 PM
razz,

You're really inspiring me! :) You know, I really think that I am going to have to change the model of how I moderate the forum from replying to all threads, and placing more focus on doing some of my own work more often and focusing on the Workshops. Everyone on the forum has been such a catalyst for me learning a lot and being able to reciprocate that as well, but I am beginning to think that I might be more effective if I start focusing more on my own work and teaching where I can etc.

It's great to see your progress here, and I definitely look forward to more! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Zapan
08-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey Razz !!

I realised that didn't even take a walk over here , and shame on me ! let me say that's really good stuff ... As you may suspect (altough I do like your 2d studies too) , I really enjoy your 3d work which is great and very detailled !

Okay , suscribed now .... hope I'm gonna see more soon

cheers ,

-Zapan

ps : .... 16 years old .... I feel really old suddenly ....

razz
08-05-2006, 09:08 PM
Demented, I tried drawing something from imagination today. 10 minutes were about enough for me to stop doing it. I don't understand, when it comes to drawing from imagination, I feel like it's my first day when I took a pencil in hands. This way i get back to studying...So hope to see more STUDIES :)

Rebecca, as I know how amazing you can draw and that you have the style of Vilppu, I say yes! Do more of your own stuff. I think i won't be wrong to say what an inspiration it will be to me and all of us in the anatomy forums. There are lots of things I could learn from you. So please just do it!! :bounce:

Zapan, glad you like it, only that I've been doing more 2d stuff. Few months back I was doing only 3d, then somehow it turned to this :arteest: I hope to finish the part of David model I'm doing. In fact I'm looking forward to creating my own character. So I hope it won't take very long :)

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

Here's something. Very fast. Study from Vilppu. I was hoping to add some watercolor to it with Painter, but as you see, I didn't.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3977/vilppustudy20dx7.jpg

razz
08-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Another study from Vilppu. Still nothing of my own. I try, but it just looks horrible...

http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/9172/vilppustudy21uq1.jpg

Intervain
08-06-2006, 08:54 PM
:bounce::bounce:the vilppu studies are really wicked! especially the simple ones, with little shading - love the guy in the tricorn :eek:

SpiritDreamer
08-06-2006, 10:43 PM
HEY.....RAZZ....:applause: :thumbsup:

You know....everytime I see your drawings, they just keep getting better and better,..those last two are fantastic...really strong draftsmanship there....:thumbsup:
Wouldn't worry too much about the figures you creat from your imagination too much at this point in time....Most of the old masters didn't creat human figures from their imaginations, they worked from life, doing a ton of studies from life, of figures that they planned to use in the composition that they would creat from their imagination, ...in most cases....that, and a lot of studying of artist that came before them....when they finally did creat the figures in their paintings,using their imaginations, it was only after a lot of work and study had been done concerning each figure....in other words, they rehersed a hell of a lot in preparation before doing a finished painting...and most of them were well seasoned in the methods decribed above, before they even atemted to creat a finished painting.
I think that the best way to aproach things from the imagination, is to do a ton of studies,
of the subject you intend to describe first..just like an actor, musican, reherses, before they get on stage, and strut their stuff.
Looks like you are going about things in the right manner, and achiving GREAT PROGRESS
and it is a great pleasure seeing the results you are getting...I am sure you will get what you are seeking...figures from the imagination...if you follow the methods that the old masters followed, which is just what you are doing...there are no shortcuts...just a lot of hard work,and a love of the craft....:)
Sorry....didn't mean to ramble on so much...hope what I said might help you in some small way....just trying to pass down, what was passed down to me...:)
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK

TAKE CARE
Glenn

ha-dou-ken
08-07-2006, 08:33 AM
Razz...damn. I'm not even worthy enough to critique so, just...wow. my hero. seriously. I am going to study your art as the humble student. I wish I could mass an opinion, lol.

razz
08-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Intervain, thanks! It's great doing these. Vilppu is a master, I love studying his works. The way he draws the figure is awesome. I just love it! :arteest:

SpiritDreamer, huge thanks to you! I think I needed something liek this. I'll keep on with the studies. I understand myself that it's not two days work to be able to draw figures from imagination. Only sometimes I want to do a painting of my own. But I guess that needs more time. It's pretty hard for me to study from life, because I don't have where to do that. Unless myself, but that would be strange. I mean sitting or standing in front of a mirror naked :D Nah, just kiddin'. I'm thinking of doing some self-portraits from life. I just need to do some! You'll see why. Your words made me feel more confident. Again thanks for that :)

Ha-dou-ken, don't be so critical to yourself. All works you see in my thread are only studies (copies from old/living masters mainly). So I think there's no "my art". I'm studying others' people work. This is practising. Read (if you haven't already) what SpiritDreamer said, you'll understand my point :)

Some upper body studies. Huge sorry, I don't know the artists.

http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/9228/study1zr6.jpg

DigitalSol
08-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Hello Razz, very inspiring work in this thread, your anatomic studies are going great, has passed sometime since I dont check the work of the anatomy forum, (Im taking an artistic break) but is great to come back and see how much have progressed the people, amazing work

Icey
08-08-2006, 12:29 AM
hey razz!
your studys are moveing pritty fast and in the perfect direction! I don't know how much time are you spending on your randering, but it looks fantastic! Would love to see more!

Cheers!
Icey

rblitz7
08-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Wow dude! great studies!:thumbsup: I like your shading too. The arm in the top left drawing in your most recent post looks a little small.

razz
08-08-2006, 11:07 PM
DigitalSol, I'm glad you like my stuff. What's with the artistic break? Hoping to come back with a boom? :)

Icey, hey there. Well, I'm trying to develop my rendering. Actually now I'm looking for a style that I like the best, so just trying everything :arteest: Thanks for stopping by, I appreciate it :)

Rblitz, it might be, thanks. I do need criticism you know :) It would help me push further faster. I hope you'll like my future studies too.

Some new studies, various artists. The paper I drew these on is in fact for watercolors, but at least it's a sketchbook. Couldn't find anything better...

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/9651/michelangelovilppustudyky4.jpg
http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/8395/study2wr0.jpg

Thomasphoenix
08-09-2006, 01:13 AM
The Torso rendering in the contrapossto guy is exquisite:thumbsup::thumbsup:! Way to go Razz! the forearm seems to be a bit more curved than it should be.Great stuff !Studying Vilppu seems to have worked wonderfully for u!:applause:

razz
08-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Thanks you, Thomas. And yes, Vilppu's studies helped a lot :) Now I'll sit a bit on studying the form. I'd really liek to do some studies from life, I hope I'll get that chance. Later on I'll get back to muscles and bones, now I'm learning the upper body. Well, you can see that.

New study from someone I don't know, sorry.

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/2867/study3uk0.jpg

Dynasty
08-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Very nice studies man. They are truly nice. The lines are so nice and free. Absolutely love it. :thumbsup:

krispee
08-10-2006, 06:44 PM
some really good anatomy studies here dude, keep on posting, you`re learning heaps...especially like the torso sketches....

kris

Hyaloclastics
08-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Hey razz...
Great studies!There's a lot of progress between your first posts and the more recent ones.I love your rendering,the smooth transitions of values in your drawings.Continue like that and you will do wonders!
Keep it up!

razz
08-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Dynasty, thanks. I'll do more :D

Krispee, thank you. Now I pretty much know the muscles of the arm, forearm and the upper torso, so that's why you see these studies. Learning form of those now. But this watercolor paper makes me want to do something in acrylic :arteest: Actualy I've never tried it, but it seems it's similar to gouache. I'm eager to find out.

Polonoid, thanks. I feel progression myself, that I've learned pretty much since then. I could say that I've started learning seriously when I created this thread. Learning to be able someday do wonders :)

I'll be gone for the weekend, but when I get back I'll post a new study from Morgan Weistling. I'm thinking of finishing that peace to the end, not making it just a speedpaint. So I hope you'll like it. See you all after a few days.

Cyanid
08-12-2006, 07:05 PM
razz:

I've been away roughly five weeks.
In that time your book grew a few pages and made my jaw drop till the ground.
its truly amazing! concrats fella! really inspiring study's.
keep it up, I am a fan :D

NR43
08-12-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi razz,

I stumbled on your thread and i must say it's really amazing to see someone as young (I know, I'm not the first to say this, but it's so true ;) ) being so eager to learn. I didn't even know what a pencil was when I was double your age lol.
Anywayz, the results are there: your work is wonderful - it shows you love art!
Just keep going, you're an inspiration to me and I'm sure to many others as well.

razz
08-13-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm back!

Thanks a bunch you guys! Makes me so happy you're thinking of it this way. I hope it's really true and I'll keep progressing as I go along. Great to know that my studies inspire you. You guys give me confidence. Thanks again, Cyanid and NR43.

Here's a wip of what I've started painting. It's a study from Morgan Weistling. I think I already said that, only didn't show what I have. Well, today I worked more on it. But I got lost. I'm not happy of what I have here. Posting step images. I would be more than glad if someone could give me suggestions on the technique. How to achieve a better/realistic look. By the way, I'm using painter. This was done with the chalk brush and a blender. So again, if you have any suggestions, I'm here to hear them.

http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/3971/mastercopywip1gk2.jpg
http://img102.imageshack.us/img102/6780/mastercopywip2dq9.jpg
http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6695/mastercopywip3af4.jpg

demented
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey razz!

sorry haven't been here recently!

Everything is shaping up brilliantly.

With this last painting: The violet/pink colour on her cheek is pretty far out from the other colours, which makes it look a little colour. You can either scale down on the pink, but personally I'd add another colour in the shadows to "cancel" it out... might be wrong about this whole thing though, so maybe make sure first!

Would like to see some imagination stuff from you - it's often hard getting into it once one has done so many studies, but I think you should try it! Just keep at it until you get the hang of it!

Great work dude!
ciao!

- d.

shyamshriram
08-15-2006, 11:48 AM
Very inspirational Thread my friend :) u are such a talent ! sweet stuff...

Keep up the good work buddy :thumbsup:

razz
08-15-2006, 03:51 PM
Demented, thanks for suggestions. I'll come back to the painting after some doodling of other stuff. Will be trying to draw form imagination. Hard thing...

Shyam, thanks. I have to say that your stuff is amazingly inspirational. I grabbed a pencil the minute I saw your new sketches.

Michael John Angel study. Very fast.

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/420/study4ff2.jpg

Crap from imagination. I'm showing this just because Demented asked. I don't think it's really worth showing. I threw the drawing away just after I scanned it.

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/7749/imagination1du4.jpg

ytresu
08-16-2006, 08:33 AM
Hi razz, great stuff here.
I really like a lot your pencil studies...the head of post no.168 is very well rendered.
Good work!

SpiritDreamer
08-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Hi.....RAZZ....:thumbsup:

Really impressed by your drafsmanship, your studies in frame# 162, and above on this page
FANTASTIC....YOU REALLY HAVE THE TOUCH THAT IT TAKES....:bounce:

I think that girls face came out ..BEAUTIFUL.:applause: ...really like the colors you used...wouldn't mind
seeing a little more refinement of her hair...a little flat at the moment, in places....if you block out her face with your hand, you would not know that to be hair....maybe a highlighted strand
here and there, and a loose strand along edge of face...maybe....wouldn't take much, to give it that shine and luster that hair produces....just a thought....:)

Also.....NEVER THROW AWAY DRAWINGS FROM YOUR IMAGINATION....no matter how crappy you think they might look....they are a part of you that is developeing and growing in strength....what you think is nothing today, might produce the vision or idea that you are searching for tomarrow..:)
Example....my Master and Servant Challenge painting...picked up a little crappy thumnail drawing, that I did thirty years ago..got a vision, and ran with it, developeing it further....one idea leads to another....so it pays to always keep that first idea or vision. you never know where or when it will lead you....:scream:

A REAL PLEASURE seeing your skill develope....Keep up the great work...:thumbsup:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

razz
08-16-2006, 09:47 PM
Ytresu, oh how I wish that that head would have been drawn from my imagination. Working on that now. Thanks for stopping by.

SpiritDreamer, thank you. You're always speaking wisely. I appreciate what you're saying. I know the thing of leaving the work I've done because maybe later I may reuse it or something. Ah, but it sucked. Though I really love the idea of redoing some sketches that have been done a long time ago. I have been trying to draw from imagination a pretty long today. But nothing to show. I think I've been using eraser more than the pencil. Don't know what would be better, keep trying or get back to studies. I do know that studies are allways great. I'm just afraid if I get too much into studies it will be hard to do something from imagination. I think I should do as much of ones as the others. By this I mean imagination works and studies. Again thanks for giving advice.

Nothing new, move along :)

SpiritDreamer
08-16-2006, 10:05 PM
HEY.....RAZZ.....LOL.....A couple more words of wisdom...:scream:

THROW AWAY YOUR ERASER...USE A BALL POINT PEN...I made that move many many years ago....best move I ever made...haven't erased any ideas...good or bad, since I made that move:bounce:

TAKE CARE
Glenn

Mal-1
08-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Some lovely redering in here Razz, some of the pencil work is really excellent, but it is this painting below that got my mouth watering, the eyes are really well done and I love the lilac colour that is playing on her face, (one small crit..not having sen the original the neck looks a little thin, this maybe to do how it curves on our right, is the original like this also?).
I would love to see more studies like this, I think it is superb.

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/6695/mastercopywip3af4.jpg[/QUOTE]

claybub
08-17-2006, 08:23 PM
Oh man! your work rocks! Very impressive zbrush/3d stuff!

that last painting is soooo awesome :)

your drawings are looking very strong too. makes me want to draw more!
Keep up the sweet work!

cheers

-caleb

Hyaloclastics
08-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Hey Razz!
Nice portrait study!I think the colors are great!!
The only crit is about the position of the head...I think it's a little off.But i haven't seen the original so maybe it's just me.
Keep up the good work!

razz
08-18-2006, 02:17 PM
SpiritDreamer, thanks, but no, thanks. I don't really like drawing with ball point pens. I'll just try not using the eraser too much :)

Hey, Mal. Some things are about to change on that girl, hopefully to the good side. I'll be working on her more. I'll look more carefully when painting the neck. And of course you'll see more studies like this from me. Thank you :bounce:

Claybub, well, your 3d stuff makes me want to do something in 3d. So we're even :D Glad you stopped by and like it.

Polonoid, will watch that closer when I get back to it. I was painting it on and off, very distracted, so might have missed lots of stuff. Great that others see it!

Imagination stuff (oooh I sooo much have to work more on stuff from imagination). Too hugely inspired by Puddnhead. Lots of stuff from memory, but no refs at all. Not happy about it...It looks like the lady on the right is wearing a ballet dress. Not how it supposed to be. Better luck next time.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8880/imagination2xu1.jpg

And for your eyes not to burn out after seeing my imagination work, here's a study I've done. The artist is Charles Joseph Natoire I think.

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/8904/study5na0.jpg

razz
08-18-2006, 05:25 PM
I wanted to try a woodless pencil I bought yesterday. Study from Vilppu. Very different from drawing with a hard pencil, because this one is veery soft (although only 2B), but for doing Vilppu studies - it's awesome.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/8775/vilppustudy22gm7.jpg

Cyanid
08-18-2006, 05:41 PM
really enjoying those pencilstudy's! what kind of pencil are you drawing with? woodless...is that mechanical? I think the last one is stronger than the ones before. Better linequality. Could be the scan though...seems to have more contrast. anyway, keep it up...unbelievable how fast your progress is :applause:

-Cya

shahabp
08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
These drawings are awesome.
I wish I could draw like you.watching those works make me work harder on my drawings.
cheers

demented
08-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Yo razz! Really like the imagination piece mate - definitely want to see more of those. Think it's important that you develop your imagination skills as you develop your technical/study skills so that you can incorporate the two. The studies are looking wonderful as always - something I need to do more of!

very inspirational stuff: more!
ciao!

- d.

razz
08-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Cyanid, yeah the contrast is better in the last one. It's done with a woodless 2B pencil, so I can achieve darker lines. The other two are done with a H pencil, so I'm pretty trapped and limited with it. I'll try using a softer pencil for sketches now. A HB maybe, just need to get one. Thanks for stopping by :bounce:

Hey, Shahabp. Glad it makes you this way. Your words make me try harder.

Demented, always good to see you here. I admire your work. The stuff you're doing from imagination rocks. Not even talking about the paintings, they're great. Inspires me a lot. Will be trying to do more imagination stuff :thumbsup:

Worked a bit more on the painting. Don't know what to add more. Any suggestions? Or should I call it finished?

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/5138/finishedmaybers2.jpg

razz
08-19-2006, 11:38 PM
Studies from Vilppu

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/8786/vilppustudy23lx4.jpg
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5922/vilppustudy24no4.jpg

StefanStavrev
08-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Hey razz

Guys maybe i am exagerating, but i think this guy is definetly in the world's top ten (his age)drawing talents... :thumbsup:

16 years old ??? Way to go... Just keep it like this bro :)

You got my support :thumbsup:

FateBringer
08-20-2006, 02:59 AM
hi Razz

Awesome work, getting better and better every time I visit.:thumbsup:
Drawing from the your imagination, I could probably write pages and pages on my thoughts on this, lucky for you i can't type LOL. so the sort version... Sounds like you want to pull fully rendered perfect drawings out of the void, exremely difficult. but on the other hand if you use your imagination to sketch a pose or something then use ref material to help fill it in,this would be using your imagination to make an original drawing or painting.

Also teaching can be one of the best ways to learn something, so maybe you could give us your thoughts (teach) here at CG how to Draw from our imagination. just a thought

Mark

krispee
08-20-2006, 08:39 AM
hey Razz, love the quick sketches, full of life with strong lines.....your painting is beautiful, soulful eyes and strong colours......the only thing is the right eye, seems too far across, but without seeing your ref it`s hard to tell.....
and your vilpu studies are great......i use woodless pencils all the time now, they`re really nice to use and if your want to quicly lay down some pencil you can use the whole of the shapened led instead of just the tip....

kris

razz
08-20-2006, 09:33 PM
Stefan, yep, that's exagerated :D I have only studies of others' works. I'm sure everyone can do that.

FateBringer, thanks for the tip. I have to remember that. Because when I try to draw from imagination I tend to do everything without any refs. Now all I've been doing some studies and some imagination drawings. I should try to do a peace where I do imagination work combined with the a study or something. Whoo, thanks :thumbsup:

Krispee, yeah I had troubles with that eye. Still don't like it really. But dunno if I ever get back to it. About the woodless pencil, yeah, it's great. But I'm thinking of going back to a harder one. I want to try a HB one and push my hatching skills. Yay!

Vilppu studies again

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/5518/vilppustudy25bf0.jpg
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/6146/vilppustudy27hl7.jpg
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/4592/vilppustudy26ju4.jpg

This one turned out accidently from imagination. 10 seconds maybe...

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/476/crapbagfq1.jpg

StefanStavrev
08-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice :)

By the way Bro , what kind of pencil do you use?

and Keep it this way :thumbsup:

razz
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
It's about the third time I mention this. A woodless 2B pencil was used for these studies after Vilppu. Just because it's soft.

New studies from Vilppu. Not bored yet of these? :) A regular H pencil for these.

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/2753/vilppustudy28jw0.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/9828/vilppustudy29kp2.jpg
http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/5461/vilppustudy30aa7.jpg

NR43
08-21-2006, 06:10 PM
bored???
I'm hooked :p
I should stop staring and work a bit myself :shrug:

StefanStavrev
08-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Hey bro

Not boring at all :)

Love them

Keep up

Thomasphoenix
08-22-2006, 06:35 AM
Yo Razz , Way to go man!:)!Excellent studies!

Might need a bit of attention on the Head fitting in on the shoulder and the head size in some drawings!

Pleasure to watch ur thread Razz!:thumbsup:

Hyaloclastics
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
Hey man,nice studies.
I think one of the best ways to practice drawing from imagination,is to start sketching people in motion...Sketching people in coffee shops,railway stations,parks will help you practise your memory on the human figure.That is because people are moving you must relly mostly on observation,memory and sketching the most important things(fast).
Anyway,it's just a thought.
Keep it up!

Mu
08-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Man, I just browsed through all of your work in here and I must say this is a total killer thread.

Big thumbsup for your dedication, hard work and talent.

*subscribed*

Cyanid
08-22-2006, 12:54 PM
lol absolutely not boring.
I'd like to see more contrast (use the 2b pencil?)...it looks more stronger that way.
ah well...thats just a really minor thing. the point is where the lines are...and I think they are on the very right place mostly. makes me wanna grab my pencil too.

-cya

razz
08-22-2006, 05:58 PM
NR, so who's standing in your way? Go grab that pencil! And make at with it :scream: Glad you like my studies.

Stefan, hard to keep up, I don't usualy draw 3-4 pages a day. But I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Siju, yes, I've noticed the proportional mistakes but I don't know why haven't I corrected them. I'll take a look at the fitting of the head. Though these studies are pretty fast. I think 20-30mins MAX on the more shaded ones. Thanks for the crits, mate :)

Polonoid, you are correct there, mate. The way to practise drawing from imagination is pretty similar. It can be for someone posing for you from about 30secs to 3mins, to look at him/her and the draw. To make the gesture of it, realise the form. Or to observe people around you. Draw in your mind first, only then on the paper. But I've seen your thread, you don't seem to be having trouble with that :D

Mu, makes me happy that you like it. I'll try to keep it that way. Thank you!

Cyanid, yup, took back a 2B one for the other study I've done today. Not much so I won't show it yet. I have to get my hands on a HB pencil. I need one that I would be able to make very darks and that it wouldn't be so soft. Am I asking for too much? :) Mm, a mechanical maybe? Don't know how to control that thing...Ok, so more contrast in the future studies! Thanks for fropping by :bounce:

I'll do few more studies and then try to scribble something for the OFDW. From imagination. Brrr...

razz
08-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Some more Vilppu studies

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/9923/vilppustudy33yo7.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/733/vilppustudy32zw8.jpg
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/72/vilppustudy31zv1.jpg

And to try something different I've done studies from an artist I've found at CA.org. Don't know if it's his name, but the nickname was Rascar Capac.

I have started with a pencil...

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/3203/rascarcapacstudypencilde5.jpg

And the with markers

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2979/rascarcapacstudymarkersgc8.jpg

Now the next thing I'm thinking to do is doing some sketches for the OFDW. If I like them, you'll see them.

razz
08-27-2006, 12:07 PM
OK, so I was trying to draw something for the OFDW, but believe me, nothing good came to my mind and everything I tried to draw failed. It's only that drawing from imagination is about ten times harder then studying som masters' work. And I suck at it...a lot. The thing is that knowing anatomy will not help you draw better if you don't know how to use it (me). That's where Vilppu comes to help.

Vilppu and Hogarth studies. Please correct me if I named some of the muscles wrong. Thank you.

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/1988/anatomystudy1bs2.jpg
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8449/anatomystudy2kc5.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/8130/vilppustudy34wy3.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7883/vilppustudy35cj0.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8761/vilppustudy36oc8.jpg

SpiritDreamer
08-27-2006, 12:46 PM
Hi.....RAZZ...:)

You might take a look at what I just wrote in Warpy's thread, about sculpture...might be of some help to you, if you are having trouble creating figures from your imagination.
That method might be just what you need , to get you the results you are seeking, in creating figures from the imagination....that, and studying the old masters, for bit's and pieces of the figure you are trying to CREAT....:thumbsup:
REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR GIANT....CREATION...:)

TAKE CARE
Glenn

razz
09-02-2006, 04:31 PM
Thanks, SpiritDreamer. I've read there. I think all that's needed is some practise. Not only studies, but imaginational drawings. The sculpture thingie is something similar to life drawing. But yeah that would be better, because there's no way I could find a life drawing class here.

Ok, now, I wanted to do some studies for the OFDW and start my own painting of the giant but I encountered a problem with Painter. It seems to be doing some weird stuff. Look here:

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/9977/wtfib5.jpg

See those brighter spots? What are hey doing there and how did they get there? It happens with every brush, and it doesn't happen with Photoshop, that's why I think it's a software problem. But I don't get it. It just suddenly started to behave like this :shrug:

EDIT: Fixed everything, no worries!!

EDIT 2: Oh, nope, I was wrong...still having that problem.

Mu
09-02-2006, 06:37 PM
Hi razz,

did you paint on a layer instead of a canvas? Mind the following, posted in the painter forum around here...

When we paint on transparent areas of a Layer using a brush variant that has blending and smearing characteristics, the brushstrokes will have white edges..... unless.... the Pick Up Underlying Color box is checked so the brushstrokes can pick up and blend with colors on the Canvas or other Layers below the Layer being painted.

Or...

Unless the brush variant is adjusted so it no longer has blending and smearing characteristics.

Or...

Unless the Layer Composite Method is changed to Gel or Multiply so the white edges don't show.

Or....

Unless you paint with another brush variant that does not have blending or smearing characteristics.

razz
09-02-2006, 06:42 PM
In the image shown I was painting on canvas. But the same thing happens when I paint on a layer. Reinstalled it, nothing...the same. I'm lost here, Mu...

Mu
09-02-2006, 06:49 PM
ok then,...

name of the variant (tell me the category in which it resides, too and best add which number it is from top of the list as I have the german version and names differ ?

Did you change anything about the default variant? If you are in doubt and you can risk loosing those changes, set the brush back to its default state via the brush selector menu (little triangle next to the variant selector)

colour chosen?

expected behaviour?

if you need to you could paint some strokes with PS and tell me what it is you are trying to do, because when I first looked at your screenshot it looked like a normal Painter stroke to me which just has some blending and smearing characteristics.

And describe in how far the brush stroke behaviour does not match what you expected it to do. I say that because you might just be confused by Painter's countless features, esp. with a Photoshop background. The two brush engines are completely different.

razz
09-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Well it's a bit customized square chalk brush. But now I've tried to play with the opacity. When I set it to ~6% those thingies are easy to see, but when it's ~20% they're almost gone. I'm not 100% sure but I think you might be right about me being confused by the Painters countless features. Trying to paint something now. Will see how will it look. Let's hope no trouble will come out.

Thanks for the help, Mu. I appreciate it a lot. Kudos to you, mate :bounce:

razz
09-02-2006, 10:16 PM
OK, this is something that was born tonight after all this. Nothing fancy, just my second try at an environment. Used a ref, but only to look at the colors. This is kind of a study for my OFDW peace. I'm thinking of doing some similar environment with a giant siting somewhere. And it would be a different time of day.

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/5723/environmentfinsmallev4.jpg

SpiritDreamer
09-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Hi...RAZZ...:)
Can't be of any help to you in this area...I only work on one layer, with whatever the brush is
set at that I pick...never changed any of the brushes opasity ect., other than thier size as I work with them....don't need or want the headakes that you are probably getting, from fooling around with them...:scream: .....plenty to choose from,...just find one that does the trick the way it is.....:scream: ....THAT'S JUST ME......LOL...:)

Just saw your envirorment....BEAUTIFUL....:bounce: :thumbsup: :applause:
TAKE CARE
Glenn

Talaria
09-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Hey razz, really great studies you have here, and the painting copies are amazing! have you been doing those with painter? or photoshop?, If you did them with photoshop , do you use a hard edged brush? just curious... o.o

Nothingness
09-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Hey Razz, you've added some amazing stuff since i last visited.
Are there any more recent zbrush studies you can show?

:drool:

Cyanid
09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
wow such nice environment! :bounce:
did you use colorpicker a lot? you should do more of them...besides the anatomy of course ;)
keep it up!

razz
09-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Hey, SpiritDreamer, don't worry about that problem I posted before. Everything seems to be all right now. Well, at least I don't see those artifacts in the environment I've painted. It's something with the opacity I use. Forget it. Glad you like the environment. Pretty much my first try at it :D I have one more but that was from a tutorial, so I don't count that. Really loved painting this one! Thanks for the comments. They're much appreciated :bounce:

Talaria, thanks. It's painter. I used pretty mych soft edged brushes. It's a chalk brush (a bit customized to suit what I want more) and a default oil pastel brush. It blends when with the colors that is beneath it, so I didn't need to use a blender and I liked it that way :arteest:

Nothingness, thank you. Zbrush - no, 3d - yes, but nothing much. Just a little head and some very minor things modeled on David study I'm doing. Will be showing the head (I hope so) in my other post. But nothing good there so I doubt if I should show it. At least not yet :)

Cyanid, didn't use the color picker at all when painting that. I just examined the ref with it, but as I start with pretty desaturated colors and when I go further I make the more saturated it was useful only at the end. The refs..there was a photo found on google and Dylan Cole's painting (http://thegnomonworkshop.com/img/screengrabs/dco01/dco01coverlg.jpg). Compare his and mine and see how much I have to learn :D Glad to see you here stopping by, mate. I have another environment started, will show that soon.

Again thank you everyone for replying. Much appreciated!!

Now, the school has started. The art school too, whee!! Maybe I'll have some paintings to show from there. My painting teacher let's me and everyone else in my class draw whatever we whant. So absolute freedom given to us. But as it's good, it's hard in the same way. I don't know what to paint. If someone could give me a good idea/ideas I would be thankful. The painting would be surely posted here :) I will be working on the cardboard/pasteboard with acylics. Will be my first try with this medium and my first try on the cardboard. Still, not paper and not gouache. Tips appreciated.

Ok, waiting for you suggestions! I have one week to draw sketches for the painting.

razz
09-07-2006, 06:19 PM
Some of the things I've done during these days.

A little ~10-20min. Wes study

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5310/wesburtstudy3vt5.jpg

Quick master study

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/2390/masterstudysl6.jpg

Gestures from imagination. Will be doing a lot more of that and again from imagination.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/1296/imagination3zc3.jpg

And the very start of the environment painting. About 20mins of work. From ref.

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/6656/forestwip1eg5.jpg

Read the end of my previous post, please :) I would really appreciate some help.

Rebeccak
09-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by razz: Now, the school has started. The art school too, whee!! Maybe I'll have some paintings to show from there. My painting teacher let's me and everyone else in my class draw whatever we whant. So absolute freedom given to us. But as it's good, it's hard in the same way. I don't know what to paint. If someone could give me a good idea/ideas I would be thankful. The painting would be surely posted here :) I will be working on the cardboard/pasteboard with acylics. Will be my first try with this medium and my first try on the cardboard. Still, not paper and not gouache. Tips appreciated.

Ok, waiting for you suggestions! I have one week to draw sketches for the painting.
Congratulations razz! I'm sure you will do wonderfully! :)

Regarding suggestions for a painting - why not try a self portrait with an environment? This could be a full size self portrait on canvas, or just a study of your face.

I very much look forward to seeing whatever it is that you decide to do. :)

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

NR43
09-07-2006, 08:29 PM
why not try a self portrait with an environment?

now wouldn't that be a nice theme for an OFDW :D

razz
09-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Reading my mind, both of you! :) I thought about a self portrait too. I know how I would like it to look. I saw an amazing portrait of Andrew Jones when broswing through CA workshop's photos. Only don't know about the environment. What could fit behind the figure. I just don't have any thoughts about that.

Ok, I have tomorrow to draw some sketches for the painting so I'll have some busy hours after school. Tried drawing myself in fron of a mirror. No luck. I think I want a good result in a very little amount of time. Like 5mins and here, looks like me. So thinking about using some photos as refs. I'll post sketches tomorrow if I draw some :arteest:

For now, a study I did yesterday from the "Anatomy for the Artist" book by Sarah Simblet. I was watching TV at the same time, so the drawing isn't very accurate, but still I know the skull better now.

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/183/anat4artiststudy4ns8.jpg

Gunilla
09-12-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi Razz - some really nice work you got here - and nothing less than impressive for your age!
I like the sense of movement in your drawings and your master studies is going great!
Looking forward to see more here :thumbsup:

NR43
09-18-2006, 06:27 AM
Hey Razz

we're missing your talent at the torso challenge!
would love to see you join :D

edit: here's the link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=405198)

razz
09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Did you miss me? :D

Gunilla, thanks for your comments. I'll do my best to improve :)

NR43, saw that one! I'm following the work of others and will be joining pretty soon (I hope). The days became busy suddenly. Very little time to draw or paint. I had about 20 mins yesterday and not a minute today :sad: I'll try to find some time.

Ok, so the 20 mins I had yesterday to draw. Only the gestures for now. And you can see two hands, because I'm thinking of doing more than torsos :) Maybe it's not good to take it all in one time, but I want to do a little bit of everything. The main part I'll be learning will still be the torso, but I'll try to draw/paint a full figure if it will be visible in the painting/drawing/sculpture. All for now.

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/3770/torso12gesturesgr4.jpg

pand-aren
09-19-2006, 01:04 PM
uuu:]
:thumbsup:

razz
09-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey broza pand-aren! :D

Little progress

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/1743/torso12gesturescontinuedak9.jpg

razz
09-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Let's call this one finished. I won't be counting the torsos.

Not happy about the hatching...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1782/torso12ea0.jpg

Womball
09-21-2006, 03:06 AM
They are gorgeous. Still would like to see some figures out of you. Are you currently studying perspective or just dabbling in it? I just learned of a technique which takes a floorplan and using perspective lines you can render the room layout perfectly! Its pretty time intensive though, but looks fun in a mashochist sort of way.

rasmusW
09-21-2006, 01:18 PM
hey razz!

beautifull work. i really like your pencil renderings.
i'll sure check back now and then.

-r

razz
09-21-2006, 03:39 PM
Womball, well, I really have to draw from imagination. Only that everytime I try, I fail. But as I said I will be doing lots of gesture drawings from imagination and If I'll catch a chance, from life. Now the best way for me to learn drawing figures from imagination is doing master studies. Hey and you saw, I suck at drawing from imagination...And those two sketches at the top left are not studies of perspective. It's the indirect lighting thingie. Thanks fro stopping by, I really hope to do some imaginational work soon. Maybe I really should try and improve my imaginational drawing by drawing from imagination. Dunno what would be better. Perhaps too much studies make it even harder...:shrug: What do you think?

Abyss, hey. First of all, I really like your 3d work. Nice sculpting there. Saw your 2d thread and will be showing my face there from time to time. Glad you like my pencilwork, I'm trying to improve that. Stop by again sometime :bounce:

Nothing new, my imaginational drawings suck.

mynti
09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Amazing work here, all of it - I am impressed, you being so young... I am just learning and I'm almost twice your age!

Keep up the great work and try working from life... it is a whole new challenge that is very exciting! You will get plenty of figure drawing classes when you go to college, so even if you can't do a lot of figures now from life, you will.

Congratulations on all the hard work!

razz
09-21-2006, 08:11 PM
Mynti, I hope to do lots of life drawings before college. It really is the best way of learning how to draw human figure. I'll get someone to pose for me. For gestures you don't even need someone to be posing. From now I'll try not to only carry mu sketchbook all the time, but to draw when I have a free minute. Some words really make me think of everything...Thanks for comments :bounce:

Some fast sketching. The marker ones are from imagination and the hands are from life. My left hand, haha. Man I have awry (is that the word?) fingers...Long time since I drew anything from life. Felt very good now (although I'm not very happy about it ir the imaginational drawings).

http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6918/imagination4lj0.jpg

Talaria
09-22-2006, 12:31 AM
razz those are gorgeus hands, especially the shaded ones!
keep it up :D

rasmusW
09-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Abyss, hey. First of all, I really like your 3d work. Nice sculpting there. Saw your 2d thread and will be showing my face there from time to time. Glad you like my pencilwork, I'm trying to improve that. Stop by again sometime :bounce:

Nothing new, my imaginational drawings suck.

thanks alot man. means a great deal.
a small question about your rendering technique. when you "hatching" the shadow areas, do you then draw the lines so they follow the muscles/ folds etc. or do you just do whatever looks "right"? -i ask because yours looks so much alive compared to when i do it.
hope you understood my cryptic formulated question:)

btw. please drop by my sketchbook. i could really use some advices.

-r

razz
09-22-2006, 04:55 PM
Talaria, thanks. They were done pretty fast you know. Really liked drawing from life, although it's only my own hand :)

Abyss, thank you. Yes, I'm always trying to hatch along the form. And at the same time hatch in straight lines. I think the one is called hatching and the other is cross-hatching. I don't really know if it's another thing, it's one word in my language no matter how you hatch. Looks for the drawings of Glenn Vilppu. Should really be an inspiration. I'll stop by at you thread to see what's going on there :bounce:

Icey
09-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Hello Razz!
Glad to see progress here, man!
One thing i could advice you - i see you don't add light and shadow to the age lines.. You should treat them just as you do with overall lighting! ;)
And loose your hand a little- make the fluid line that the eye likes to view and mark it as a streight one. Double the lines - because the eye chooses what to view to make it in its best interest - that's something i very often do... it's kind of cheating, but damn, i like to cheat! :D

I think you should try all these, just to see how they can help you... :)
You're doing great!! Keep it up! ;) Hard work - that's the key...

Best wishes!
Icey

mynti
09-23-2006, 03:08 PM
Hi Razz!

Really great to see the hands drawings - I love to do stuff like that when I'm lacking a pose for a figure... I just take a quick minute to pose in the mirror hanging nearby my computer and then go at it!

Drawing from life is fun - makes me want to do maybe a self portrait again :D

Nice to see you looking at the structure and doing several drawings of the same pose - it's a good way to really nail the basic anatomy.

Keep it up, can't wait to see the next installment!

Hugs,
Gracie

razz
09-24-2006, 08:11 AM
Thanks again, Icey. For all the help and the confidence you gave me :)

Mynti, I'd love to have a mirror near my pc :D I have to get one. Thinking of doing a self-portrait for a long time now. You know that construction is very important, that's why the two drawings of a hand. I'll do more, 'cause I really liked drawing from life. Thanks for visiting.

The girl with the scissors is a study from Kevin Llewellyn and the other one is another torso study for the OFDW. Actually both of them are little hatching studies. I could've worked more on the construction of the torso study, but aah, was fun.

http://img182.imageshack.us/img182/9724/studyhatchwo4.jpg

razz
09-25-2006, 02:41 PM
One more torso study

http://img462.imageshack.us/img462/5358/torso4pk1.jpg

razz
09-26-2006, 08:07 PM
This one's not looking good. Again rushed on with hatching...must work more on the linework.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/6422/torso5md5.jpg

Mal-1
09-26-2006, 08:54 PM
I have to disagree, the hatching work in this last one is quite remarkable, a fantastic study.

rasmusW
09-27-2006, 11:49 AM
hey razz!

i think it's very good aswell. though a bit more dark values on the last one, woulden't have hurt.
keep up the good work, mate.

-r

razz
09-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Mal, thank you. Maybe you're right. But it could be better :)

Abyss, yeah, didn't went over with the mechanical pencil on the last one so pretty low contrast. Will watch out for that when doing the next one! Thanks for popping in :bounce:

Messed this one up at the very early stages. Learned a lot though.

EDIT: image removed and will be put back when I improve it along with the old one.

So here they are.

http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/4274/charonrefinsk6.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/8495/charonfindg1.jpg

gilgamesh828
09-28-2006, 05:24 PM
This is a really outstanding study, razz! The core shadows and edge work are sweet! Congratulations and keep up the great work!

Cheers!

AnOldFriend
09-29-2006, 03:10 AM
Hey Razz i was meandering through your thread earlier today and I was quite amazed how skillfull you are in traditional, digital, and 3d artwork. Someday perhaps we will all be reading and studying your books. Keep up the awesome studies/work.:thumbsup:

razz
09-29-2006, 02:13 PM
Gilgamesh, hey, happy to see new faces in my thread. You're doing wonders yourself. And a very nice style you have there. Will sure be making more master studies like the one in the previous post. Would be glad to see you again here sometime :bounce:

AnOldFriend, hello there. Happy to see you here too. An exciting view to the future here :D Maybe some day... But by that time you will all be writing your own books, ha!

A speedie here. Half an hour maybe?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/3365/speedpaint1ue5.jpg

anandpg
09-30-2006, 07:09 AM
Great painting, Razz..! :thumbsup:love the colors on the skin. A bit more clarity on the shapes may help, though... like darker and thinner shadow lines and more definite hilites...
Do you use Photoshop or Painter?

razz
10-01-2006, 03:18 PM
Anandpg, thanks for the crits. Although it's just a speedpaint, I'll try to watch these things more when doing another one. All done in Painter. But you know it's just a tool :)

Not to waste any posts, here's something

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/6937/torso67fx7.jpg