PDA

View Full Version : (3DSM 8) Vertex Influence Problem

LittleTigger
05-01-2006, 02:39 AM
I have a problem with the head of my model, ive rigged it about 8 different times to try to get it to work proplery each time positioning the rig differently or adding/removing vertices here and there but it still seems to be the same.

When i turn the head the chin of the model seems to be influenced by the neck, it stretches with backwards as though its being pulled, but when i check the weighting of the vertices being pulled they say 1.0 to the head. If i click on the neck part it doesnt show that the head vertices are being influenced, i don't know what to do i've been stuck for ages on this.

im using a biped and a physique modifier as thats what we have been told to do for our coursework.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :shrug:

Illusion-shadow
05-01-2006, 01:43 PM
Why are people still using physique? I've just reponse to a post with that sort of problem. Please, you guys should use the skin modifier instead. The physique modifier have not been updated since max3. The tool is too complicate and does not give you great result unless you spend a lot of time messing with it. I have no idea why your instructor asked you to skin a character using physique, but I don't think it is a good tool. No body in our studio use physique the skin our character.

LittleTigger
05-01-2006, 01:55 PM
yeh i dunno i just think he wants us to use to the more basic functions, maybe i can give the skin modifier a go and see if i get improved results then tell him hes rubbish :scream:

Illusion-shadow
05-01-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah, I think you should. No one really use physique anymore. I was a 3d max instructor, and as an instructor, he shouldn't really be teaching you guys tool that is no good at all. Let me know if you need any help with the skin modifier.

PEN
05-02-2006, 12:07 PM
I may be the one that has made people think that Physique is no good as I always tell people that Skin is better and supported. But Physique is a good tool, there are some things that it does that I wish Skin did, however it is old and isn't getting updated and is showing its age. Physique was last updated I think in Max 3 and I think that it was Character Studio release 2. Skin has been updated just about ever release of Max since Peter added it and it now has far more robust tools and options then Physique has. For these reasons I don't know why teachers are still insisting teaching Physique and I don't understand how just about every new person comming to Max ends up using it first. The help docs must be partly responsible for it, I really should have a look at them again at some point.

Illusion-shadow
05-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I think the main reason people are still learning physique is because their instructor are still using it. Most people just don't want to get out of their comfort zone. I do agree it was a good tool, like the envelope actually bend with the bone when you rotate the joint, but aside from that, I found that it is very troublesome trying to add bone and exclude and include vertices.

Nii
05-03-2006, 05:05 AM
Actually I find physique to be a good starting point for rigging. As in, apply physique, immediately convert it to skin then continue on your merry rigging way. It's just more automated, and most of the user made tutorials for making custom models for games always say to use physique for some reason. Probably because it requires less fiddling around for a reasonable result.

I used to use it, but the main reason I stopped was because of the sheer slowdown and lag my computer will experience while while trying to weight individual verts.

ChrisPlatz
05-04-2006, 06:08 AM
Interesting post. I was taught to use Physique years ago, and recently read the book "Animating Real Time Game Characters" and it also used physique. It does lag my system and the vertex assigning tools are horrible.

I've never used the Skin tool, but now may be the time to try it out. Does anyone have a recommended tutorial on Skin?

For LittlteTigger, the physique tool can be influencing vertexes on the chin from the neck bone if you have both rigid and deformable vertexes working, double check in both types. You may want to use the "Remove from link" tool in physique. It is the quickest way to get rid of pesky influences by other links. Hope that helps. If you are in the same boat I am, it may take much longer to learn the skin modifier than to complete you current project with the knowledge you alread have with physique.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2006, 06:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.