PDA

View Full Version : 19" Monitors (ViewSonic??)

earl
01-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Does anybody have any experience with ViewSonic monitors that they'd like to share with me? I've owned a low-end A70 for a few years, and it's been great, so I expected their high-end P series to be even better.

Unfortunately, my 4 hour-old P95f+ has already crapped out on me. First, right from the start it had two hairlines running horizontally across the screen - not very noticeable, but not acceptable in a monitor billed as "professional series".

Now, after about 4 hours of use, the four corners have become dark and discoloured - if I display a pure red image, I can see that the discoloured parts are actually purple - the hue is way off.

It really sucks, so I'm bringing this POS back. I was really expecting a good quality product from ViewSonic, but now I don't really trust the brand, so I'll probably take a different monitor instead.

Any suggestions or comments for me before I head out to make the exchange tomorrow?

ThirdEye
01-04-2003, 10:46 AM
I own a Sony G400 19", i take it to 1600x1200@85hz and it works great :thumbsup:

elvis
01-04-2003, 01:15 PM
make sure you check the viewsonic website to get the maximum resolution and refresh rate supported by the monitor.

i've got a (quite old now) viewsonic 21" P810, and it can only do 1600x1200@75Hz, which i'm not happy with. 1600x1200x85Hz is my minimum desired res for a 21" monitor i'm doing 8 hours a day in front of. the sony trinitrons we have at work (dell rebadged on dell workstations) do the higher refresh, and are flat-screen too.

we're scrapping most of our 21" tubes for 18" flat-panels quite soon. only the 2d colour/print guys will be keeping tubes.

empleh
01-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Perhaps you just had the bad luck of getting the one-in-a-thousand dud. Or maybe a guy in the warehouse dropped the box and didn't say anything.

I think that it is far more likely that the bad monitor was a fluke than the reliable one.

Of course it's you that is having to spend time replacing it. I'd be a little bitter too.

ww

fi3er
01-04-2003, 03:32 PM
two hairlines running horizontally across the screen - not an error,
its the technology, the construction of trinitron tubes. i use p95f,
1280x960 at 100Hz, crystal clear, no flickering. After few hours, youll forget bout the lines. dont know whatsup with the corners...
But if money wasnt issue and rise/fall time was under 20ms, Id definetly work with LCD. Your eyes loves you, for that picture stability.
hope this helped, sorry for crap english.
fi3er.;)

LeeTN
01-04-2003, 03:50 PM
But if money wasnt issue and rise/fall time was under 20ms, Id definetly work with LCD. Your eyes loves you, for that picture stability.

I have a 20.1" Formac Gallery 2010 LCD and it is excellent, sharp, crisp colors and guaranteed color matching. Sitting next to my NEC LCD in NView it makes the NEC look like sh!t. But hey, it also costs three times as much.

01-04-2003, 04:16 PM
Speaking of the A70... After upgrading my pc, I too am thinking of purchasing a 19inch Monitor since they're only around $250. I want to get an LCD but the price doubles and reponse time is still slow. I've read somewhere that there are sub 20ms LCD's... but I haven't seen one anywhere yet. Anyone else have any other suggestions for a 19inch? I was thinking of sony, but then I saw a Hitachi with 20mm dot pitch. I want something that has a good footprint (for a 19inch), good display, with a good black cabinet style.

earl
01-04-2003, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the response everyone - I solved part of the problem. I'm not sure why the problem appeared after a few hours.

I had the proper ViewSonic driver installed, WinXP signed and everything. In the refresh rate settings, it allowed 1280x1024 @ 100Hz so of course I chose that. A few hours later, the corners get all screwed up!

I thought I had screwed up by forcing the monitor to a refresh rate it shouldn't be at (even though the viewsonic driver let me!) so I dropped it back to the suggested 85Hz and it seemed like the discolouration decreased.

After that, I decided I should play with the settings and I noticed an option called "Purity". Sure enough, There's purity adjustments for each corner, and I can correct the problem.

That's enough to satisfy me. Thanks again for your responses.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.