PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell: no animation or motion blur

AdamT
04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Thought you all would want to know that it's impossible to render animation or motion blur with Maxwell for Cinema. There's a small omission for ya.

sketchbook
04-30-2006, 09:50 PM
not that suprising. sounds like most people have a hard enough time with a single frame, let alone many more.

AdamT
04-30-2006, 10:37 PM
not that suprising. sounds like most people have a hard enough time with a single frame, let alone many more.
True, but motion blur is an important feature even for still frames.

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Adam, motion blur is working for Max plugin. Check over at the Maxwell Forum, a response on how to make this work was posted. I assume it works the same for C4D. I have not tested this feature yet. But I should be able to check it out later in the week.

AdamT
05-01-2006, 01:02 AM
Adam, motion blur is working for Max plugin. Check over at the Maxwell Forum, a response on how to make this work was posted. I assume it works the same for C4D. I have not tested this feature yet. But I should be able to check it out later in the week.
A lot of things work in the Max plugin that don't work in the Cinema plugin. Same as it ever was.

Ernest Burden
05-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Adam...Check over at the Maxwell Forum

How do you propose he does that, after your esteemed collegue Tom banned him from the forum?

nycL45
05-01-2006, 02:11 AM
How do you propose he does that, after your esteemed collegue Tom banned him from the forum?

We, the excommunicated, do have "read only" access.

Ernest Burden
05-01-2006, 02:38 AM
We, the excommunicated, do have "read only" access.

I don't. I go to their forum and it just says 'you have been banned'.

AdamT
05-01-2006, 02:58 AM
You know you can clear that cookie and get read-only access--you're just too stubborn. :)

Anyway, I think I found the thread Tyrone was referring to and it doesn't appear to have any significance concerning the Cinema plugin. Being on the "A-Team", it might've been nice if he'd actually tested some of this stuff prior to release. I wonder if anyone else on the "A-Team" was testing with Cinema....

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
You know you can clear that cookie and get read-only access--you're just too stubborn. :)

Anyway, I think I found the thread Tyrone was referring to and it doesn't appear to have any significance concerning the Cinema plugin. Being on the "A-Team", it might've been nice if he'd actually tested some of this stuff prior to release. I wonder if anyone else on the "A-Team" was testing with Cinema....

Adam, I would think that since you are a beta tester for Maxon you would be able to see some relevance to the thread I referred to, it has significance. And being on the A-Team, we test many many things, this is one area that I did not have time to test.

Come to think of it, this is precisely the kind of thinking that lead to so many bannings, everyone was so hyped on taking hits at Next Limit, they never thought that maybe V1 would be released, and really Next Limit and the A-Team were working very hard to make this release something that would be good and although the feature set is not complete, we have never stopped working to make sure that the software does become complete...

You can bet that cinemaxwell plugin will be updated in the future...

As some of the other more priority features become complete, I will be pushing animation and motion blur from the cinema 4d plugin as I hear your desire for the feature, I want to make sure it works.

I would definitely urge you to seek to have your access reinstated, the forum is a very valuable resource. But any transgression that seeks to cause ill contempt will never have a place at Maxwell Render forum.

Stain777
05-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Oh boy, this is going to be good. <Sits down with popcorn to watch the flaming commence>
;)

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Oh boy, this is going to be good. <Sits down with popcorn to watch the flaming commence>
;)

I will not be here to take part in this, it is not good for the C4D community.

BeccoUK
05-01-2006, 03:32 PM
I base my thougts about this on Next Limits' RealFlow Cinema plugin. Cinema always come in as the poor relation with features left out of the plugin or with some peoples systems not working at all (wet maps, camera data transfer, reversed normals). Problems reported last July still not fixed for the Cinema RealFlow plugin.

With that in mind I'm not expecting any significant improvement to the basic functionallity of the Maxwell Cinema plugin any time soon. I wonder if any Cinema user has purchased Maxwell since it became full price at almost $1000?

AdamT
05-01-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Tyrone,

Well well well, where to start.... :) Maybe you could post an actual link to the thread you're referring too--perhaps it's not the one I saw in the Max forum? That one referred to two options that apparently exist in the Max plugin: object and camera moblur. There are no such options in the Cinema plugin.

What I've attempted to do is render with the motion blur checkbox activated (no effect), and render with the "-animation:x-y" parameter (no render, no .mxs file written). What do you propose I do to get animation and motion blur working?

Regarding testing, I realize that one person can't cover everything unless testing is his his or her full-time job. However, it strikes me that animation and motion blur are hardly trivial features (!!!), and further, that there are a limited number of C4D testers (are you the only one?). Moreover, animation and motion blur have never worked in the C4D plugin, and this has been raised as an issue many times. So perhaps it would have been reasonable to give it a spin it at least once prior to release?

As far as NL's forums go, I would be happy to participate if they reinstated me. However, this is the precondition to that, according to an unnamed moderator over there: "Oh yeah, and you will be apologizing your little ass off if you want back in, that I can guarantee ya." Mmm, don't think so. As you may recall, I was banned because I asked that a moderator and NL employee behave more professionally....

AdamT
05-01-2006, 03:49 PM
My point exactly, Becco. All of the issues I've raised here were raised initially at least eight months ago and there's been virtually no improvement in that time. I know of two *highly* skilled Cinema developers who had conversations with NL about working on the C4D plugin. Both of them got the brush-off. Therefore I can't say I have any confidence that the Cinema plugin will be improved in the foreseeable future.

lllab
05-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Tyron have you realized this version is called 1.0?!

maxwell seems to be right nice but the cinema plugin is not.
not at all nice. this is early beta.

and by the way, animation is very, very basic feature i think.

the fact that the cinema plugin was actually not improved in any way from the rc5, it even got worse, makes me rather sad i must say...

cheers
stefan

Ernest Burden
05-01-2006, 04:48 PM
As you may recall, I was banned because I asked that a moderator and NL employee behave more professionally....

And I was banned for saying that the same puerile moderator was wrong to have banned Adam.

So Tyrone, if we are discussing Maxwell here please leave the discussion here. The Maxwell Forum is not a great resourse for me or at least a half-dozen of my arch-vis friends who were told we were not welcome there. I will consider returning to the MWR forum when a certain moderator figures out how to write an appology to Adam and me.

Back to the topic--OK, so the plugin will be getting more attention in the future--when is that? IS there a plan in place, personnel assigned to working on the C4D connection? Or is it the typical Victor "in some days" line?

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 08:54 PM
I base my thougts about this on Next Limits' RealFlow Cinema plugin. Cinema always come in as the poor relation with features left out of the plugin or with some peoples systems not working at all (wet maps, camera data transfer, reversed normals). Problems reported last July still not fixed for the Cinema RealFlow plugin.

With that in mind I'm not expecting any significant improvement to the basic functionallity of the Maxwell Cinema plugin any time soon. I wonder if any Cinema user has purchased Maxwell since it became full price at almost $1000?

You can direct this question to Next Limit sales. I do not have this information. Seeing that a lot of external render packages are over $500. Maxwell Render should do well.

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 08:57 PM
Hi Tyrone,

Well well well, where to start.... :) Maybe you could post an actual link to the thread you're referring too--perhaps it's not the one I saw in the Max forum? That one referred to two options that apparently exist in the Max plugin: object and camera moblur. There are no such options in the Cinema plugin.

What I've attempted to do is render with the motion blur checkbox activated (no effect), and render with the "-animation:x-y" parameter (no render, no .mxs file written). What do you propose I do to get animation and motion blur working?

Regarding testing, I realize that one person can't cover everything unless testing is his his or her full-time job. However, it strikes me that animation and motion blur are hardly trivial features (!!!), and further, that there are a limited number of C4D testers (are you the only one?). Moreover, animation and motion blur have never worked in the C4D plugin, and this has been raised as an issue many times. So perhaps it would have been reasonable to give it a spin it at least once prior to release?

As far as NL's forums go, I would be happy to participate if they reinstated me. However, this is the precondition to that, according to an unnamed moderator over there: "Oh yeah, and you will be apologizing your little ass off if you want back in, that I can guarantee ya." Mmm, don't think so. As you may recall, I was banned because I asked that a moderator and NL employee behave more professionally....

I actually understand a lot more happened then just a small message. Like a lot of PMs and emails, and message spamming from users that if this kind of thing had happend on CGTALK there is no way in my mind those users would not have been banned from this forum as well.

I will look in the motion blur and see if I can figure something out with it.

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Tyron have you realized this version is called 1.0?!

maxwell seems to be right nice but the cinema plugin is not.
not at all nice. this is early beta.

and by the way, animation is very, very basic feature i think.

the fact that the cinema plugin was actually not improved in any way from the rc5, it even got worse, makes me rather sad i must say...

cheers
stefan

Actually a number of bugs were fixed and new features were added to the plugin. Check the issue/bug list for details. If you are referring to the emixer feature, it is actually a very advanced feature that really does not exist in any other render engine at the moment.

Continuumx
05-01-2006, 09:00 PM
And I was banned for saying that the same puerile moderator was wrong to have banned Adam.

So Tyrone, if we are discussing Maxwell here please leave the discussion here. The Maxwell Forum is not a great resourse for me or at least a half-dozen of my arch-vis friends who were told we were not welcome there. I will consider returning to the MWR forum when a certain moderator figures out how to write an appology to Adam and me.

Back to the topic--OK, so the plugin will be getting more attention in the future--when is that? IS there a plan in place, personnel assigned to working on the C4D connection? Or is it the typical Victor "in some days" line?

Hello Ernest,

I cannot give any dates for the C4D connection, but it is receiving some attention. :)

AdamT
05-01-2006, 11:03 PM
I actually understand a lot more happened then just a small message. Like a lot of PMs and emails, and message spamming from users that if this kind of thing had happend on CGTALK there is no way in my mind those users would not have been banned from this forum as well.
Yeah, generally there was a lot of well-deserved criticism of NL, which they never responded to directly--hence the repeated questions and complaints. I couldn't tell you the exact reasoning behind my banning as I never received a warning or explanation. Based on the sequence of events, however, it was pretty clear that it was related to my complaint regarding Tom's behavior rather than any comment about Maxwell or NL. Very childish.

Don't really care, but I would like for my investment (more in time than $$) to eventually pay off in a useable render engine and plugin.

LucentDreams
05-01-2006, 11:31 PM
if maxon had the same temperment as next limit I'd have been removed from beta testign ages ago, so would MV. Fact is thats your job as a beta tester to critique suggest and ciriticize. I've called maxon developers and staff stupid and such many times, most times when it gets that bad, something gets done and we usually calm down quickly and its back to work as usual. the team know its nothing personal, we just want to see the app get better. nextlimit takes it very personal and bans those people. The people who seem to care enought about getting the job done right.

AdamT
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
Of course! You're not going to get the best product if you surround yourself with yes-men, and *generally speaking* (not speaking of present company, Stefan), that's what NL has done. All you had to do was praise NL continuously and and defend them no matter what they did, and you got plucked for their beta team. They had one guy who spoke his mind and he lasted about two weeks. Then he got banned from the forums. :)

OTOH, I don't think it would have mattered either way. They just don't listen.

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.